Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] The Plant based burger

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
But these have the taste that people want without the pointless suffering of animals, less greenhouse gas production and lower amounts of land use.

Which sounds great until you actually sit and consider that in detail.

The first thing I would say is that I am no fan of gratuitous suffering, for cows or anyone else, with the possible exception of Palace fans. But now I fear I’m going to ask a philosophical question. (On a Sunday too)

If cows are treated humanely, reared on good quality food, have their illnesses treated so they don’t suffer and then are slaughtered in a manner swift and painless, does the fact that they die in the end mean better they should never have lived? Is it right that the last couple of dozen cows exist in zoo exhibits, while a placard talks about where meat and dairy used to come from?

Is the world a better place if where there were fields we construct another estate of Barratt Homes?

I appreciate that the world is full of horrors like factory farming and hormone injections to increase “yield” which I find frankly horrifying, but the cow only gets to exist on our fields because of its utility. I’ve always personally seen meat-eating as part of the circle of life.

I’d also like to add that I tried a meat-free Whopper once at a Burger King, and I can promise you that the greenhouse gas production is merely moved from the cow to the person that eats the burger.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As has already historically mentioned by one or two of the more pompous posters on here ( Not @Herr Tubthumper ) my palate isn’t upto much but I came across this particular plant based burger patty in Cote and loved it so much trod uncharted territory into Waitrose to buy some, I really enjoyed it 😋
View attachment 174744
Are you saying I’m not pompous……or it’s just that I have not questioned your palate :lolol:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
As has already historically mentioned by one or two of the more pompous posters on here ( Not @Herr Tubthumper ) my palate isn’t upto much but I came across this particular plant based burger patty in Cote and loved it so much trod uncharted territory into Waitrose to buy some, I really enjoyed it 😋
View attachment 174744
Aldi do a good rip off version of this in their freezer section

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think that the 1901 price includes real cutlery, “dirty fries” and “slaw” (probably)
On a slate with the fries in a little wire chip frying basket.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I went to get a KitKat before the game. They only had VEGAN KitKats. I actually thought they were joking - they weren't. There it was, resplendent in its green wrapper.

What have we become.
The only chocolate available in the WSU after the match yesterday, the person serving us apologised and looked slightly embarrassed.

I’m sure there used to be a choice of at least 3 chocolate bars on sale at the Amex.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
The only chocolate available in the WSU after the match yesterday, the person serving us apologised and looked slightly embarrassed.

I’m sure there used to be a choice of at least 3 chocolate bars on sale at the Amex.
Mars and Yorkies?

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I am loving the skittishness of old men confronted with a food item they feel they must reject on account of the dreaded word "vegan" being written on its wrapper!

Chocolate bars are mainly sugar flavoured with cocoa and other loveliness. I couldn't give a rat's arse if it contained a dribble of milk or a dribble of squashed almonds instead. The only question is does it taste good?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I am loving the skittishness of old men confronted with a food item they feel they must reject on account of the dreaded word "vegan" being written on its wrapper!

Chocolate bars are mainly sugar flavoured with cocoa and other loveliness. I couldn't give a rat's arse if it contained a dribble of milk or a dribble of squashed almonds instead. The only question is does it taste good?
Yeah. It was closer to dark than milk in flavour but safely over the does-it-taste-good line.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I am loving reading the smug superiority of a middle-aged individual shilling for Nestle, one of the most environmentally destructive corporations our planet has ever seen, and telling us what a chocolate bar is made of, because clearly we’re too stupid to know.

Perhaps these ridiculous old men you speak of have been around long enough for our cynicism regarding Nestle’s motives in labelling a chocolate bar as “vegan” to be well placed?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Some veg burgers are quite nice.

Most meat burgers aren't. In particular Macfilth is completely tasteless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here