Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] The Plant based burger

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
No confusion required young gobshite, both are fine, it’s just depressing to see people trying to smugly point score off people who are (quite rightly) cynical about faddish variations on things.

Edit: Besides the above, the vegan kitkat was discontinued in 2022, so who knows how long they’ve had those in the storeroom for.
Oh name calling time is it? Always the first refuge of those whose pathetic whataboutery has been called out. I mean, trying to claim some moral highground because the vegan KitKat is made by Nestle, what a muppet you are.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Looking around the stands yesterday, many people over 50 look like they need to avoid carbs (pastry) in pies, regardless. And all the young un’s are almost certainly going to get Diabetes in 20-30 years time so should probably start avoiding now. There’s nothing especially good about anything at the Amex simply because it’s all ultra processed food. And has to be really for it to be served. That’s the nature of the industry. So all best avoided IMO, if can (and we all can really, temptation a side)

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Oh name calling time is it? Always the first refuge of those whose pathetic whataboutery has been called out. I mean, trying to claim some moral highground because the vegan KitKat is made by Nestle, what a muppet you are.

I’m not trying to claim any moral high ground whatsoever, that’s your game. The white knight of virtue, rushing to Nestle’s defence. A touching scene.

Cast your mind back to your first post on this subject, where you smugly noted how much you enjoyed seeing others discomfited. It’s that specific brand of arrogance that actively drives people into the arms of terrible people like Trump, Braverman, Anderson et al, not because they’re right, but because they annoy people like you.

Where the correct thing to do is to say “it’s just got a bit of almond milk in it instead of dairy”, you choose to posture instead. Now, I’m off to sob into my pillow about being called a muppet, but just try (if you can) in the future to drop the f***ing superiority complex, it really gets people’s backs up, which if it wasn’t your intention, shows poor communication skills if nothing else.

Have a lovely evening.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Had a plant based burger a couple of years ago in some place in London off Tottenham Court Road a couple of friends took me to. Apparently it's the go-to place and had tons of rave reviews.

Thought it was pretty boring, tasteless and not filling at all despite the costs. I hate McDs, BK, KFC etc... and not had any burgers from them for about 10 years.

Had a fantastic gourmet burger from The Perch on Lancing Green, that filled me up.
Did you go for the crispy Crow ? Or the succulent gull?

Catch of the day is a tough choice I know

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I’m not trying to claim any moral high ground whatsoever, that’s your game. The white knight of virtue, rushing to Nestle’s defence. A touching scene.

Cast your mind back to your first post on this subject, where you smugly noted how much you enjoyed seeing others discomfited. It’s that specific brand of arrogance that actively drives people into the arms of terrible people like Trump, Braverman, Anderson et al, not because they’re right, but because they annoy people like you.

Where the correct thing to do is to say “it’s just got a bit of almond milk in it instead of dairy”, you choose to posture instead. Now, I’m off to sob into my pillow about being called a muppet, but just try (if you can) in the future to drop the f***ing superiority complex, it really gets people’s backs up, which if it wasn’t your intention, shows poor communication skills if nothing else.

Have a lovely evening.
What? Giggling at the prejudices of people over a minor ingredient in a cheap chocolate bar is "rushing to Nestle's defence"? You are a complete dipstick, droning on about Nestle like they are the leaders of this plague of veganism that upsets you so much. It's like you want to virtue signal but can't quite figure out how so copied and pasted a tweet from a 5 year old Greta Thunberg. May I remind you that your brother in arms you are so delicately defending opted instead to go for a Yorkie bar? Any idea which company also makes them? You utter plank. Oh sorry, does this mean I am also responsible for Hitler, Gengis Khan and Alan Pardew? Get a grip dickhead.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
There’s nothing quite like the taste of lab-grown algae is there? With the artificially added non-meat juices dribbling down your chin. Yum.
The food industry has created a new segment to sell UPF to with this vegetarian burger nonsense, don’t falll for it!

chickens

Oct 12, 2022
What? Giggling at the prejudices of people over a minor ingredient in a cheap chocolate bar is "rushing to Nestle's defence"? You are a complete dipstick, droning on about Nestle like they are the leaders of this plague of veganism that upsets you so much. It's like you want to virtue signal but can't quite figure out how so copied and pasted a tweet from a 5 year old Greta Thunberg. May I remind you that your brother in arms you are so delicately defending opted instead to go for a Yorkie bar? Any idea which company also makes them? You utter plank. Oh sorry, does this mean I am also responsible for Hitler, Gengis Khan and Alan Pardew? Get a grip dickhead.

And you think I have a problem with name calling? Try reading your own post back.

You’re almost (but not quite) enough to make a decent human being vote for this incarnation of the Conservative Party.

Anyhoo, plant burgers, I’m not really a fan, though accept that the labs will be continually polishing and tweaking the “design” - at least until the costs don’t add up against the size of the target market.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
And you think I have a problem with name calling? Try reading your own post back.

You’re almost (but not quite) enough to make a decent human being vote for this incarnation of the Conservative Party.

Anyhoo, plant burgers, I’m not really a fan, though accept that the labs will be continually polishing and tweaking the “design” - at least until the costs don’t add up against the size of the target market.
I’m confused now, who is this brother in arms he’s accused you of defending that had a Yorkie bar?

chickens

Oct 12, 2022
I’m confused now, who is this brother in arms he’s accused you of defending that had a Yorkie bar?

Further back in the thread there was a gentleman who’d asked for a Kit Kat, and when offered the vegan version quite rightly opted for a Yorkie instead. (there probably is good vegan chocolate somewhere, but I’ve never tasted it, and it’s doubtful it will be found at Nestle)

However, my argument with CGH was largely based on my feeling that he/she/it was needlessly smug, in a manner that’s counterproductive and could lead to people doing dreadful things like voting for Laurence Fox or agreeing with the Daily Mail.

I may have been wrong to criticize, but CGH went full Godwin’s Law on me within three responses, so I suspect that they’re a “champion” of many an internet forum besides NSC.

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
Everyone around me, including me were eating Yorkies on Saturday.

I usually have a Twix and me not having one, I imagine, is why we struggled in the game.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I've been a pescatarian for about 15 years. Personal choice, once I connected what I was eating I couldn't disconnect it and so it makes me want to vom.

Completely respect others choices though and fully appreciate you aren't going to get a plant burger that comes anywhere near the taste of a proper one.

Moving mountains burgers are the best plant based I've come across by a street.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Further back in the thread there was a gentleman who’d asked for a Kit Kat, and when offered the vegan version quite rightly opted for a Yorkie instead. (there probably is good vegan chocolate somewhere, but I’ve never tasted it, and it’s doubtful it will be found at Nestle)

However, my argument with CGH was largely based on my feeling that he/she/it was needlessly smug, in a manner that’s counterproductive and could lead to people doing dreadful things like voting for Laurence Fox or agreeing with the Daily Mail.

I may have been wrong to criticize, but CGH went full Godwin’s Law on me within three responses, so I suspect that they’re a “champion” of many an internet forum besides NSC.
The petty bickering and name calling is all good fun but the transphobic "he/she/it" trope is unacceptable behaviour. I assume you used it in ignorance but the idea that I, of all people, am the one telling you might lead you to continue, bullies usually do, so I will leave this discussion now.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The petty bickering and name calling is all good fun but the transphobic "he/she/it" trope is unacceptable behaviour. I assume you used it in ignorance but the idea that I, of all people, am the one telling you might lead you to continue, bullies usually do, so I will leave this discussion now.
I very much doubt if he would have reacted if you had been a bit more grown up in your post #77

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
My problem with the vegan KitKat has nothing to do with the vegan content, more that it's dark chocolate and that has no place on a KitKat... Disgraceful.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I very much doubt if he would have reacted if you had been a bit more grown up in your post #77
I am not sure if you are just trolling here. You are essentially arguing that being transphobic is OK if you are a bit annoyed with someone. It is not OK, it is every bit as bad as being racist or homophobic. Being angry is no excuse whatsoever and I hope you are just a bit muddled by the thread rather than sincerely thinking it is.

Anyway, please consider all of this from my point of view. To recap: I pictured grown men recoiling in horror at the suggestion they eat a vegan KitKat. It tickled me, mainly because I emphasised with their position, I too dislike having my options restricted by circumstances and the ever changing world. I learned to adapt to this particular horror a few years ago as my partner is now lactose intolerant, it means any chocolate I snaffle at home is of the vegan variety. I reasoned long ago that it was still sugar and cocoa and at least chocolate adjacent and sometimes I am pleasantly surprised. For instance, up until last week she had a tube of dark chocolate mints that were extremely good. Sadly, some greedy thief finished them off too quickly. So as I chuckled at the picture in my head (of a bloke, pint in hand, clutching at his pearls in horror) I shared how I overcome the psychological barrier of eating vegan chocolate. Nothing wrong with that I thought.

To my surprise I suddenly get attacked by some prat insulting me by calling me smug and that I was "shilling for Nestle" and waffling on about how evil that corporation is, a point which, whilst true, had no relevance to my observation about vegan chocolate versus normal. This is the self same prat who later on says Nestle Yorkie bars are fine by the way.

Now I dislike bullies, but I restrained myself and responded with a light hearted piece of sarcasm instead of personal insults. The response was to be called a "gobshite" and smug again. So I replied and used the word "muppet", I had after all been provoked by this point (3-1 in insults for those keeping score). This then triggered another mini rant about evil Nestle, being called smug, the reason for Trump's success and of having a superiority complex (6-1). I remind you that this is is all because I found someone recoiling from a vegan KitKat to be funny. So I responded and yes I was cruel this time, but my antagonist had been hurling insults my way since the start so I reasoned it was payback time and gave both barrels (6-4 or 6-5 if the Greta one hit home). I repeat: I do not like bullies - so I tend to react when I feel bullied. The next retort was that I made people want to vote Conservative, which was as weird a reply as the rest but I could tell their heart wasn't in it so I let it be.

That should have been an end to it but no, you had to poke the beast and the guy went all pathetic, passive aggressive and casually transphobic. All the rest up until this point was fine, if a bit over the top, just some slightly dotty bloke screaming silently into the night via NSC. And honestly, I don't want to get all holier than thou over this, I believe he didn't realise his insult was transphobic at the time. That said, it has changed the tone of the conversation, so whilst I admire your support for your friend, please stop trying to keep it going.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I am not sure if you are just trolling here. You are essentially arguing that being transphobic is OK if you are a bit annoyed with someone. It is not OK, it is every bit as bad as being racist or homophobic. Being angry is no excuse whatsoever and I hope you are just a bit muddled by the thread rather than sincerely thinking it is.

Anyway, please consider all of this from my point of view. To recap: I pictured grown men recoiling in horror at the suggestion they eat a vegan KitKat. It tickled me, mainly because I emphasised with their position, I too dislike having my options restricted by circumstances and the ever changing world. I learned to adapt to this particular horror a few years ago as my partner is now lactose intolerant, it means any chocolate I snaffle at home is of the vegan variety. I reasoned long ago that it was still sugar and cocoa and at least chocolate adjacent and sometimes I am pleasantly surprised. For instance, up until last week she had a tube of dark chocolate mints that were extremely good. Sadly, some greedy thief finished them off too quickly. So as I chuckled at the picture in my head (of a bloke, pint in hand, clutching at his pearls in horror) I shared how I overcome the psychological barrier of eating vegan chocolate.

Nothing wrong with that I thought.

To my surprise I suddenly get attacked by some prat insulting me by calling me smug and that I was "shilling for Nestle" and waffling on about how evil that corporation is, a point which, whilst true, had no relevance to my observation about vegan chocolate versus normal. This is the self same prat who later on says Nestle Yorkie bars are fine by the way.

Now I dislike bullies, but I restrained myself and responded with a light hearted piece of sarcasm instead of personal insults. The response was to be called a "gobshite" and smug again. So I replied and used the word "muppet", I had after all been provoked by this point (3-1 in insults for those keeping score). This then triggered another mini rant about evil Nestle, being called smug, the reason for Trump's success and of having a superiority complex (6-1). I remind you that this is is all because I found someone recoiling from a vegan KitKat to be funny. So I responded and yes I was cruel this time, but my antagonist had been hurling insults my way since the start so I reasoned it was payback time and gave both barrels (6-4 or 6-5 if the Greta one hit home). I repeat: I do not like bullies - so I tend to react when I feel bullied. The next retort was that I made people want to vote Conservative, which was as weird a reply as the rest but I could tell their heart wasn't in it so I let it be.

That should have been an end to it but no, you had to poke the beast and the guy went all pathetic, passive aggressive and casually transphobic. All the rest up until this point was fine, if a bit over the top, just some slightly dotty bloke screaming silently into the night via NSC. And honestly, I don't want to get all holier than thou over this, I believe he didn't realise his insult was transphobic at the time. That said, it has changed the tone of the conversation, so whilst I admire your support for your friend, please stop trying to keep it going.
WOW, you are definitely overreacting here….nearly TL/DR though.
Firstly I’m not trolling, I bounced the thread on Sunday post #72 and mentioned I wanted some chocolate but the vegan kitkat was the only bar available in the WSU.
Your post #77 IMO was taking the piss out of me and maybe the previous poster (easy 10)I was replying too and mentioned old man (I’m not)
@chickens post #79 was also IMO was a tongue in cheek pop at your post #77

Not sure how you got that I’m arguing with being transphobic is ok from that…..odd
I did reply to you earlier in the thread explaining my point about the kitkat but you ignored me, I suppose arguing with chickens was more exciting

Last edited:

chickens

Oct 12, 2022
WOW, you are definitely overreacting here….nearly TL/DR though.
Firstly I’m not trolling, I bounced the thread on Sunday post #72 and mentioned I wanted some chocolate but the vegan kitkat was the only bar available in the WSU.
Your post #77 IMO was taking the piss out of me and maybe the previous poster (easy 10)I was replying too and mentioned old man (I’m not)
@chickens post #79 was also IMO was a tongue in cheek pop at your post #77

Not sure how you got that I’m arguing with being transphobic is ok from that…..odd
I did reply to you earlier in the thread explaining my point about the kitkat but you ignored me, I suppose arguing with chickens was more exciting

Argues with Chickens would make an awesome name for a Native American.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here