Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The penalty

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Looked a really soft penalty to me. The Everton player seemed to have his eye on the ball. Tho I guess he might have just been playing crafty. The amount of time taken for the VAR decision suggests they were none too sure either.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
But there is also the below, which doesn’t include that component.

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:
a handball offence (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)
holds an opponent
impedes an opponent with contact
bites or spits at someone
throws an object at the ball, opponent or match official, or makes contact with the ball with a held object
See also offences in Law 3

From http://www.thefa.com/football-rules.../football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

And it is therefore a clear foul inside the penalty area.

Intention has zero effect on the decision and there shouldn’t really be massive debate on this.

However, if you want to get subjective about things ask yourself two simple questions - Without contact would Connolly win the ball (yes), and does Keane therefore gain an advantage by making contact with Connolly? (Yes). It’s a foul.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Because of result as thrilled as anybody with result. However penalty was a joke. No common sense, May have touch his foot but nil chance was Connelly going to get the ball, Var should be kept to off sides where there has been a terrible error. Stupid to me that 22 players plus 2 officials and 99% of crowd didnt think a penalty yet a decision is made by somebody watching a screen miles away.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I was in the north stand and saw Connolly scream and go down. Nobody appealed at all. Just seen the replay and if that was given against us I’d be fuming.

However, after all of Everton’s play acting, especially Richarlison, it was just what they deserved.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Standing on someone's foot is not just accidental contact as you are also impeding the player.

Anyone who has played or watched any sport knows you can impede someone accidentally ... sometimes a foul is given, sometimes not. Impeding someone 'accidentally' = foul in the box was purely subjective pre VAR and it is purely subjective now.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Because of result as thrilled as anybody with result. However penalty was a joke. No common sense, May have touch his foot but nil chance was Connelly going to get the ball, Var should be kept to off sides where there has been a terrible error. Stupid to me that 22 players plus 2 officials and 99% of crowd didnt think a penalty yet a decision is made by somebody watching a screen miles away.

Absolutely this. Clear foul - bollocks was it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We got lucky, possibly fortunate beneficiaries of all the non-penalty discussion from last weekend, most notably the Vertonghen / Deulofeu stone-waller that wasn't given, as that was the first penalty awarded by VAR, ie it wasn't initially given on-the-field.

Interesting discussion on 5Live with Ali Bruce-Ball expressing his view that Connolly made a meal of it which I thought was a little bit strange as he did not appeal for a penalty at all in any way.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
And yet minor contact touching an attacker with a hand who then throws themselves to the ground to obtain a penalty now seems acceptable.

Our penalty today was a better case than this.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Watching from the stand, I didn't even think they were looking at it on VAR, was just concerned that Connolly was injured in an accidental challenge. No doubt it was the major reason an almost certain defeat turned into a victory.

Despite the celebrations at the time, I'm not too comfortable winning in such a manor. I know VAR worked out against us in the past.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Commentator on my stream called it straight away.

Commentator on 5Live called it ridiculous and said it was " Never a penalty in a month of Sundays " …. " Ridiculous waste of VAR " " Brings whole process in to disrepute " etc etc.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Didn’t like a penalty but in 2019 the debate side of things (ie the enjoyment of football!) has been killed as someone in an Elstree studio miles away clinically decides and rules whilst the 30k at the game stand around having a chat and wait for a decision after it’s been run through as series of angle equations and camera slow motions. It’s a brilliant invention VAR. I love it.0

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
All that mattered at the end of the day

F4A8168C-D160-4847-9A54-3ED154233337.jpeg

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I watched the game on my phone, tbh I didn’t even see the ‘accidental’ standing on his foot, but if it was a trip then fair enough.

I watched it on a 54 inch tv in hd and i could see it :shrug:

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
There is another component of what makes a foul.

Hmm..was it reckless or using excessive force?..If you think it was careless it looked a very natural step of the defenders leg to me.

It looked more likely an unnatural drag/leaving his leg in a "vulnerable position to be fouled" to me..something that strikers probably learn before they learn to shoot on target nowadays.

They'll breed footballers with four legs soon and then we can really call them pussies ��

Way game's gone unfortunately..fully accept it but only feel more distanced from this money orientated game

I think refs need to be on top of strikers leaving theie legs in "careless" positions.. even if they did get this one right

phoenix

May 18, 2009
ha ha a bit lower and it would have bounced off his head . Went through his hands. Very pacey mind you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here