Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The penalty

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He also said it was a penalty.
I'm just reading through the thread and notice CaptainDave said that. I didn't realise that, I just saw him talking about it after the game he was being a bit more wooly about it, saying it was an accident and soft. Good to see he obviously called it right at the time.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Fouls penalised with a direct free kick
A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referees to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
trips an opponent
jumps at an opponent
charges an opponent
strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
pushes an opponent
tackles an opponent
A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following three offences:
holds an opponent
spits at an opponent
handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area) A direct free kick is taken from the place where the offence occurred (see Law 13 - Position of free kick). The above offences are accumulated fouls.
Fouls penalised with a penalty kick
A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball, provided it is in play.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We've had at least 2 ones way worse than that not given, so I'm not complaining about this one

But........................ If that's the standard for penalties from now on, there are going to be a **** of a lot awarded this season

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So they’re the same, both fouls and neither worthy of a yellow card.
That's what I thought. If Propper had done it on purpose, then it's a yellow for a professional foul. If it had been dangerous, then it's a yellow for the same reason. But it was an accident and not dangerous. Should that really still be a yellow? I didn't think so.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fouls penalised with a direct free kick
A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referees to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
trips an opponent
jumps at an opponent
charges an opponent
strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
pushes an opponent
tackles an opponent
A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following three offences:
holds an opponent
spits at an opponent
handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area) A direct free kick is taken from the place where the offence occurred (see Law 13 - Position of free kick). The above offences are accumulated fouls.
Fouls penalised with a penalty kick
A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball, provided it is in play.

There is another component of what makes a foul.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I love how now that we won, people have to moan about VAR rather than the result. I wonder what would have happened if there was no 'controversy' today?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It really wasn't clear. Barely anyone in the ground seriously appealed for it. A few looks at slow motion replays and yes it might have been a foul but no one would have complained in a non var game if it hadn't been given. Var is a load of old bullshit.

Yeah - the ball was going away from goal and I really can’t see how accidentally treading on his ankle would’ve made any difference.

Still I guess that’s what VAR is supposed to pick up. Doesn’t seem right to me....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Law 12 - penalties/direct free kicks are to be awarded where a player commits in a manner considered to be careless, amongst other things:

- Impeding an opponent.
- Pushes.
- Tackles or challenges.
- Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yeah - the ball was going away from goal and I really can’t see how accidentally treading on his ankle would’ve made any difference.

Still I guess that’s what VAR is supposed to pick up. Doesn’t seem right to me....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do the rules differentiate between when the ball is going towards or away from the goal?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
We've had at least 2 ones way worse than that not given, so I'm not complaining about this one

But........................ If that's the standard for penalties from now on, there are going to be a **** of a lot awarded this season

Seemed to me like every time Connolly got the ball today they were kicking and tripping him from behind. So maybe they should not do that then.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
There is another component of what makes a foul.

But there is also the below, which doesn’t include that component.

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:
a handball offence (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)
holds an opponent
impedes an opponent with contact
bites or spits at someone
throws an object at the ball, opponent or match official, or makes contact with the ball with a held object
See also offences in Law 3

From http://www.thefa.com/football-rules.../football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Chris Sutton on R5 saying it was a foul and pen. Lineker tweeting saying it wasn’t.......

Young Freddie a Brighton supporter rang in 606 to say it wasn’t a penalty....of course his vantage point on the half way line in ESU might not have given him the view that the cameras did....unfortunately he compounded this by saying we would be relegated :moo:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The softest penalty in post VAR history? I think so. I would be apoplectic if I was an Everton fan

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here