Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The penalty

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
In the US throughout the VAR decision they showed multiple angles. slow motion, and zoomed in. He clearly stepped on his foot, I don't think it was intentional, but it happened so it was the correct call.

Were you at the fan fest by any chance? I spied couple of Seagulls flags and the odd scarf-wearer after the match.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I don't get this 'it was accidental therfore it was not a foul' thing.

Do people think you only foul someone when you deliberately tread on someone's foot?

Really? I've seen numerous games where 'accidental' contact in the box didn't result in a penalty just like the good old days when accidental handball didn't lead to a penalty.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
You'll struggle to find anyone who isn't Brighton supporter who thinks that was a pen. Even Glenn Murray on 5 Live a moment ago could barely conceal his embarrassment talking about it. But that is how the game is now, so I'm happy to take the freak decisions when they go in our favour because we will be on the wrong end of them too. But no doubt VAR and it's bizarre interpretation is absolutely ruining football.

Load of rubbish.

The defender stood on the attackers foot which impeded his movement as the ball was played. Intention is irrelevant. Me being a Brighton supporter commentating on a Brighton penalty decision is irrelevant. It’s a clear penalty which the VAR team correctly overturned.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
I'm betting that AC will win a fair few pens for us that won't be controversial! Hope his foot is okay.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
btw well done to Connelly for going down in a way that meant a decision had to be made. If anyone accidentally treads on your foot in the box .. go down in a heap :thumbsup:

Down in a heap? Both his legs flew upwards - apparently due to his foot being stamped on - before he went down in a heap.

Clearly I need to see the incident on a bigger screen as I’m missing what some of you saw.

Enjoyed the game and was particularly impressed with your response to going 1-2 down. You deserved that win.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It was a penalty, he clumsily stood on Connolly’s ankle, once the VAR picked up on it there could be no other outcome.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Definite pen stood on his foot
Matt Le Tissier pointed out that it was accidental.

Sorry, is there a new rule we don't know about?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is it any different from Propper’s booking? He didn’t mean to trip the Everton player but did and got booked for it. No one seemed to complain about it.
Yes it is different. Propper shouldn't have been booked. It was a foul, just like the penalty decision.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Down in a heap? Both his legs flew upwards - apparently due to his foot being stamped on - before he went down in a heap.

Clearly I need to see the incident on a bigger screen as I’m missing what some of you saw.

Enjoyed the game and was particularly impressed with your response to going 1-2 down. You deserved that win.

Frustrating game for a BHA supporter. We were mainly second best but got out of jail with the VAR call then got a winner that partially made up for all the times we have been the better team and failed to capitalise.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Well I’ve searched http://www.thefa.com/football-rules...les/laws/futsal/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct and I’m struggling to see where an accidental standing on a players ankle is a foul.

Can you highlight the bit you are referring to please.

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:
a handball offence (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)
holds an opponent
impedes an opponent with contact
bites or spits at someone
throws an object at the ball, opponent or match official, or makes contact with the ball with a held object
See also offences in Law 3

From http://www.thefa.com/football-rules.../football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
More annoyed about Digne, people saying we were lucky. If he hadn’t touched it Muzza would have a tap in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Load of rubbish.

The defender stood on the attackers foot which impeded his movement as the ball was played. Intention is irrelevant. Me being a Brighton supporter commentating on a Brighton penalty decision is irrelevant. It’s a clear penalty which the VAR team correctly overturned.

It really wasn't clear. Barely anyone in the ground seriously appealed for it. A few looks at slow motion replays and yes it might have been a foul but no one would have complained in a non var game if it hadn't been given. Var is a load of old bullshit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here