[Albion] The "Out in Marseille and this may help someone" thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Difficult to know and you may get better advice from those who have been to Europe watching other teams or England. My observations on Marseille transport

* Be careful of regular taxis. I’ve heard a few comments about them taking the scenic route and running up the meter. If you must use these, have google maps or Waze route with volume turned up so they know you know where they are going!
* Uber seems to be safe and you can enter exact start and finish points, know the fare and pay automatically. Good if you don’t speak French
* The metro and tram have been very safe and easy. Only a small number of lines and well signposted. Cost is fixed price per journey and if you get on a connection within 60 minutes of starting it’s no extra but still need to tap in. You buy from machines at the stop/station. A single ticket is €2 or a card with 10 trips is €15. 10c service charge and pay by card. You can share the ticket, just pass it back as you go through the gate
* Having some Euros in cash is useful. Some of the coffee stops have been cash only. Not sure about taxis. Some have minimum €10 spend on card
* Google maps helps get around
* Citymapper app is fantastic and sorts out route including public transport just like London
* I would recommend downloading Google Translate and the French dictionary for offline use if your French is basic. Camera function works great on menus, signs etc

Hope this helps….
Can you tap on (and off?) the metro/tram with your debit/credit card rather than having to buy a specific ticket?

oxgull

Oct 2, 2023
Hey, im in a similar boat and there are plenty of us I'm sure! I'm also going there for a short holiday before and after the game since I've got the days off work anyway! I'm 27 myself but still living on the south coast :cool: Can get a new thread/use this one to get a gang going (as Tommy Shelby says "no f****** fighting!")
Ditto, coming in solo, 29 and no longer brighton local. Only coming thurs-fri but keen for a meetup on the day!

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
For anyone who has some spare time on their hands a good safe option to see the highlights of Marseille is to jump on the Hop On/Hop Off open top bus tour. It only costs €22.
Link to Marseille Colorbus
Yup, the good old hop on-off buses are a must for us when we’re in a place for a short time only. Anyone going to Athens MUST do it as there are so many fascinating places in that city.

Exciting to start hearing the stories of those going to .Marseille. I’m not going myself but will be watching closely of course. I hope everyone has a safe and memorable trip — and please come back with those three lovely points. A pretty crucial match now. If we lose you have to worry about getting out of the group. A win would be a great tonic before the Liverpool match.

NottinghamGull

Sep 21, 2023
Nottingham
Can you tap on (and off?) the metro/tram with your debit/credit card rather than having to buy a specific ticket?
Not that I could see. The machine at the stop gave a paper card ticket the size of a credit card. You can get other options a bit like old Oyster card if you live here and have a photo. But no credit or debit card tapping from what I saw. Try google and see

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:needpics:

Would love to see images of Marseille when it is matchday. Have a safe journey everyone!
Have no fear, once I get going there will certainly be photos.

Terry Connor

Oct 21, 2022
Anyone else on the night ferry to Dieppe tonight? Missus and I having a day and overnight in Paris on the way.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Things to do in Marseille - the area around the cathedral and the mucem (well worth a visit) is very nice. If you want to ramble around some old streets then the Le Panier district nearby is great - lots of interesting cafes - should appeal to people who like Brighton. The old port is very touristy so we didn’t spend much time there - probably lots of pickpockets there too so be careful. We did find a very nice Vietnamese restaurant there. The other must see sight is the basilique notre dame de La garde - really spectacular views.
if you can fit it in a trip out to Aix- Le-Provence is well worth it.
i’m afraid I can’t help with recommendations for nightlife as we were based outside the city and I’m a bit old for that these days!
We found the Marseille people to be very friendly especially if you speak a little French. And they were very interested when I told them I was a Brighton fan as we were playing them
Can you remember the name?

Assuming it is the same one, I ate there about 25 years ago and tried to find it online when planning for my recent trip for the rugby match against Argentina to no avail.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not Marseille exactly, but Nice. Allow much more time to get to the airport from the city than you'd ever imagine, especially if you're flying back on the Friday afternoon/evening. Although you can practically see the airport from the promenade, the traffic can grind to a horrible halt, so much so that you'd be practically better off just walking there

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
In the first season in the PL a mate and I stayed in a pub in Salford for a weekend away including the Man U game.

It was the only building left standing in the street it was on and when we parked and went in there was a rather obvious hole in the ceiling. A cab picked us up and took us into town. “You do know there was a shooting there last week lads?”.

To this day I have no idea if he was serious but it would certainly have explained the hole.

The breakfast in a housing estate greasy spoon where the bloke on the next table was making a rolly from discarded butts was surprisingly good though.

You’ll be

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I officially retire from the Old Bill today and am now a civilian, good riddance Sussex Police! I now have all the time in the world to embark on a European tour, taking my lad and his mate tomorrow morning via Sicily!!
Enjoy your retirement and don't allow yourself to feel too bitter towards your former employer.
I'm sure they do more good than bad in tough conditions with the severe budget restraints.
There are a few bad eggs in all organisations. We need to place our faith in the new generation of police and hope they know right from wrong and are brave enough and allowed to speak up when in the job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports