Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The "Out in Marseille and this may help someone" thread

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Approaching 50, I thought I was reasonably fit if not in tip top shape. In the last game of cricket I played, the ball got close to but not on the boundary line causing my partner who I dubbed "Chariots" to insist we could run 4. Whilst we achieved this feat, he lapped me on his 4th and my 3rd as I hobbled to my hard earned runs. The following weekend my back ceased up as I was running the line in an under 13s football game causing the embarrassment of being replaced at half time before I knackered my calf the following week - wait for it - warming up the goalkeeper. Yes, that's right merely throwing some balls to catch.

I was used to get injured doing proper things. Now I sometimes do my back in just by sleeping in a funny position. I hate getting old.
I strained my back while cooking an omelette a couple of weeks ago. I wasn’t even bending down to pick up a stray mushroom, or anything as heroic as that. I was just… cooking an omelette… and I felt my back go. It was painful enough for me to miss the Bournemouth game.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I strained my back while cooking an omelette a couple of weeks ago. I wasn’t even bending down to pick up a stray mushroom, or anything as heroic as that. I was just… cooking an omelette… and I felt my back go. It was painful enough for me to miss the Bournemouth game.
Ostrich eggs?

oxgull

Oct 2, 2023
Anyone know what time the shuttles out to the ground are running until? Or what time most people are planning on heading over?
Can't check in to hostel until 3 and hoping for some atmos in the square before getting rounded up like cattle to the market

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can almost smell the rosé

NottinghamGull

Sep 21, 2023
Nottingham
Well, it's nearly upon us...

I know @NottinghamGull is out in Marseille already, taking in some rugby ahead of the big game, and I'm guessing a few people may be travelling out tomorrow, so a thread for those out there to share any tips, advice etc that may be helpful for others heading to, or in Marseille.

Take care and have fun everyone!
As @Bozza said, I’ve been out here for two weeks watching the rugby and having a holiday with the missus. I can honestly say it’s a fantastic place to come. Lots of great restaurants and things to do. We have our UK car with us so been able to explore other parts of Provence. Would recommend.

Now some observations
* We are staying for two weeks in an Airbnb at the end of a tramline. 10 minute walk home which have done several times even at midnight. Felt safe, but we are in an area of no graffiti or dodgy looking people / buildings. Moving close to airport AirBnB today as original plan was to spend a few days driving across France before ferry to Newhaven.
* The city centre / Old Port is great. High visible police presence. All seriously tooled up
* Weather is a seriously good English summers day 25-30C. Have not put in a pair of long trousers the whole time. From 8am til midnight, it’s shorts. Wear suntan lotion
* Joliette square area was quiet. I’d almost saying boring. Would not recommend it for food/drink except on match day. I hope they put a lot more food and drink facilities otherwise the flock of seagulls will start to scavenge further afield. It’s a 10 minute walk to Old Port so I’m sure they’ll be a heavy police presence to keep us contained
* I think we’ll be well looked after (safe) before the match and getting to/from the stadium. I sat in our away fan area during the rugby match on Sunday. No nets but could see the in the ceiling and also heavy metal doors that I assume will be closed. We will be well penned in
*It’s when we get back to Joliette after the match that concerns me the most. Approx 3,000 people dumped in an open square. Not sure if the bars and food will still be going at that time? Also getting an Uber might be competitive. I’ve decided to drive and park locally so all under my own control. Will just have to stop drinking early and no more during the match. I’ve got my (adult) son with me so playing safe.

And a final comment I’ve made elsewhere. Football fans are very different to rugby. I’ve been warned by many people, including OM fans, to “take care” on Thursday. I’m sure the environment and feel will be more threatening than the open friendly atmosphere of the rugby matches.

Let’s enjoy this unique historic event, behave and look after each other.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Things to do in Marseille - the area around the cathedral and the mucem (well worth a visit) is very nice. If you want to ramble around some old streets then the Le Panier district nearby is great - lots of interesting cafes - should appeal to people who like Brighton. The old port is very touristy so we didn’t spend much time there - probably lots of pickpockets there too so be careful. We did find a very nice Vietnamese restaurant there. The other must see sight is the basilique notre dame de La garde - really spectacular views.
if you can fit it in a trip out to Aix- Le-Provence is well worth it.
i’m afraid I can’t help with recommendations for nightlife as we were based outside the city and I’m a bit old for that these days!
We found the Marseille people to be very friendly especially if you speak a little French. And they were very interested when I told them I was a Brighton fan as we were playing them

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Je dis, espèce de grenouille non lavée, où puis-je trouver une tasse de thé ?
Thank you. Finally a serious answer. I’ll make sure to practice my pronunciation so it is clear.

Reactions: A1X

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I have no idea about French police although when I lived in Greece they all took a bribe £50 normally got you off the hook for most things apart from drugs and murder.
I hope it all goes well for those travelling although I do think reading various threads many think it will be like a three day city break with the missus or mates with a football match thrown in one evening. The OB will be on you from minute one looking for any excuse to wade in. And then even possibly on the Wednesday you may have Marseille fans on the prowl looking for anyone male and English come the evening.
There must be loads of English males in Marseille. There for the rugby, there on holiday, live there etc. If groups of English lads are congregating drinking and singing songs then yes, they may encounter some bother, but I really can't see the Marseille Ultras on the prowl the day before the game looking for anyone male and English to attack. Especially for a game against Brighton & Hove Albion.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here