Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official Wrestlemania XXIX Thread

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yup, when its that predictable the work has to be so much stronger, but that's not going to happen when four of the wrestlers in your top three matches are part timers and one of the others is John cena. I should have stuck with my vow to not buy the show, but I caved. I've seen all of them, and just couldn't bring myself to not watch it.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Yup, when its that predictable the work has to be so much stronger, but that's not going to happen when four of the wrestlers in your top three matches are part timers and one of the others is John cena. I should have stuck with my vow to not buy the show, but I caved. I've seen all of them, and just couldn't bring myself to not watch it.

That's the first time i've ever streamed.

Windows

Feb 8, 2013
Hove
I was quite disappointed with the overall show.

There was only one surprise result with Mark Henry beating Ryback.

No heel turns, no surprises whatsoever, no divas matches (incl the mixed 8 person tag match). :facepalm:

The only match that got me jumping up & down on my seat was the Punk v Undertaker match which was brilliant....that was worth the £17.50 alone.

Everything I've just been reading around the web since the show finished seems to agree with my thoughts about the lack of excitement.

SamPeters18

Feb 19, 2011
Peacehaven
even though it was "Predictable" it was still a good show IMO

Pre-Show
The Miz beats Wade Barrett to become the new IC champion

I thought this was a good match and was still sad that it was on the Pre-Show as they could done this on the Main Show

Main Card

The Shield beats Randy Orton, Sheamus and Big Show

A great way to start WrestleMania 29 with having The Shield win but the only disappointment was the rumored "Heel Turn" for Randy Orton did not happen

Mark Henry beats Ryback

I thought this was the right move but they still gave Ryback his "WrestleMania Moment" when he hit Henry with the ShellShock after the match

Team Hell No beats Dolph Ziggler and Big E Langston to retain the Tag Team Titles

There is only so much you can do with Team Hell No but i feel from now we will start seeing the demise of Team Hell No and expect them to drop the titles at Extreme Rules

Fandango beats Chris Jericho

This would have been better had they have him win with the Leg Drop from the top turnbuckle but it made sense giving Fandango the win as it was his debut and its a big win to get

Alberto Del Rio beats Jack Swagger to Retain the World Heavyweight Championship

This was the right call but i feel before Swagger's arrest that they were going to go with him but the right move was to go with ADR but i was disappointed that they did not have Ziggler "cash in" as this would been perfect chance

Undertaker beats CM Punk to takes his Undefeated Streak to 21-0

I think everyone knew this would happen but it was still a great match to see and with rumors that CM Punk may be taking some time off, what a way to go out and was nice to see Undertaker "reclaim" the Urn as well

Triple H beats Brock Lesnar

This was a good match as well with some nice spots like the Spanish Table breaking and using the steel steps but one thing i found interesting is that the two matches Lesnar has lost since coming back to the WWE (Cena at Extreme Rules and HHH at WM29) both matches have ended with them hitting their finishers on Lesnar on the Steel Steps inside the ring

John Cena beats The Rock to become the New WWE Champion

This was always going to happen but the only slight doubt was the fact that The Rock is meant to be working the Extreme Rules PPV so they could always had him drop it there but it was the right move by WWE

will be looking forward to see what happens on RAW tonight

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
John Cena beats The Rock to become the New WWE Champion

This was always going to happen but the only slight doubt was the fact that The Rock is meant to be working the Extreme Rules PPV so they could always had him drop it there but it was the right move

The problem for me wasn't that cena won, most people expected it (with rumours of a deciding third match for wrestlemania 30), the problem was the quality of the match. There was no real story to it, just trading signature moves. It started slowly as if it was going to go thirty minutes building to a crescendo, but it barely got going.it would have been decent as a main event of raw, but this is wrestlemania, the main event of the granddaddy of them all. I wasn't a good enough match, regardless of who won.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Felt disctinctly underwhelmed at the end of it, no national anthem, no legends skits, no showbiz only P Diddy and that was a waste, no backstage interviews and nothing really to mark it out as Wrestlemania. It was all very predictable with no surprises and far too many advert type crap throughout but no time for the mixed tag.

Undertaker v Punk was fine although everyone knew the ending, HHH v Brock was to me boring and killed Brock as a threat, Rock v Cena was a waste of time and you could tell the crowd didn't think much of it. Just glad The Shield & Fandango won but how are they going to move on now will be very hard. The part timers will go and who wants to see Cena do his tired old stuff anymore ?

The problem for me wasn't that cena won, most people expected it (with rumours of a deciding third match for wrestlemania 30), the problem was the quality of the match. There was no real story to it, just trading signature moves. It started slowly as if it was going to go thirty minutes building to a crescendo, but it barely got going.it would have been decent as a main event of raw, but this is wrestlemania, the main event of the granddaddy of them all. I wasn't a good enough match, regardless of who won.

This. It was a Wrestlemania that flattered to deceive, and could have been so much more with the odd surprise, heel turn and maybe cash in occurring to really get you out of your seats and produce some of the moments that made you FEEL like you were watching Mania. Essentially WWE creative played it too safe with some of the match results/finishes IMO.

Not the worst PPV of the 20s (27 always had that wrapped up!) but id rank it about 8th/9th due to fact Punk-Taker saved it from being a poor event to being merely mediocre.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
This. It was a Wrestlemania that flattered to deceive, and could have been so much more with the odd surprise, heel turn and maybe cash in occurring to really get you out of your seats and produce some of the moments that made you FEEL like you were watching Mania. Essentially WWE creative played it too safe with some of the match results/finishes IMO.

Not the worst PPV of the 20s (27 always had that wrapped up!) but id rank it about 8th/9th due to fact Punk-Taker saved it from being a poor event to being merely mediocre.

It wasn't bad but it just didn't feel special and I wonder if something went wrong backstage to explain some of the things ?

Oct 25, 2003
Punk-taker savedit from being a pretty poor show for me

Punk is easily thr best around and taker will always perform

Rock/cena was dull, especiaally as we
saw it last year...just trading signature moves which showed how limited the two men are

Glad the shield one as they're the future

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Pretty much agree with all the above. Was really happy with The Shield win and kicked Mania off in the best way possible for me. Thought the crowd was pretty poor for 80k people but I suppose they needed a surprising heel turn or at least something to kick them into life. Cena v Rock was poor, very poor but that's no real surprise. I thought Punk messed himself up when he hit the announce table.
Roll on Raw!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Pretty much agree with all the above. Was really happy with The Shield win and kicked Mania off in the best way possible for me. Thought the crowd was pretty poor for 80k people but I suppose they needed a surprising heel turn or at least something to kick them into life. Cena v Rock was poor, very poor but that's no real surprise. I thought Punk messed himself up when he hit the announce table.
Roll on Raw!

What can they do on RAW ? There are no loose endings to tie up or controversy to address, can't see anyone buying Cena v Rock 3 either

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Roll on Raw!

In fairness, they had spent five hours sat out in the open air, in lowish temperatures. Lillian Gracia would put a coat on during matches when she wasn't doing intros, people at ringside were wearing several layers and/or coats. They'd really need a great show to get them going, and with two rematches as man events, with taker never losing at mania, you're never getting a good show.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Taker needs to lose now, its getting boring, he goes off for a year and comes back for this, pointless, Cena was always winning it, and with the Shield, its pretty boring, when it was Nexus, it was better, due to more people ganging up, but apart from the Spear, they have nothing, i mean, Big Show, Orton and Shemus are quite clearly better, they should of introduce Calton Banks as a suprise 4th member of something

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Taker needs to lose now, its getting boring, he goes off for a year and comes back for this, pointless, Cena was always winning it, and with the Shield, its pretty boring, when it was Nexus, it was better, due to more people ganging up, but apart from the Spear, they have nothing, i mean, Big Show, Orton and Shemus are quite clearly better, they should of introduce Calton Banks as a suprise 4th member of something

Believe in The Shield

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
What can they do on RAW ? There are no loose endings to tie up or controversy to address, can't see anyone buying Cena v Rock 3 either

Hopefully make up for a mediocre Mania...but I won't hold my breath.
Does anyone here go and watch any Indy shows? I've been watching a fair bit of RPW and its a decent quality :)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Reports are coming out that the original plan was for rock to open the show talking about his loss last night, only to be interrupted by Brock, who would leave him laying, sowing the seeds for the two of them to have a match when their schedules allow it.

But that was thrown out the window when Rock went left town and headed home to LA without letting WWE. A bit of heat on him for that at the moment as they scramble to re-write the show.

Perhaps he didn't like the boos wwe tried to drown out after their match by leaving the music playing...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Reports now that the rock suffered an injury in the match and flew off to get it sorted before he goes to make his next movie (Hercules).

This week's raw is worth watching just for the crowd (particular the orton/sheamus match and fandango one)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here