The Official FOOTBALL MANAGER 2012 Career Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
More later but my firsts eaosn in the Prem has been pretty good. 4th after 14 games but as well as thumping Aresenal 4-2 and Liverpool 5-2 lost 5-1 to ManCity and 5-3 at home to WBA. Latest was a 7-3 win over bo-ttom placed Reading. have just confirmed Foster from birmingahm in jan as my keepers have let me down. Best team is:

Ramovic / Forsyth
Naughton/ Dechev
Lee Wallace / jack Robinson (again on loan from Liv)
Luchin / Dawson
Terziev /Dunk / Lees
Oliviera / Bridcutt / Blind (from Ajax)
Mcann (from Burnley), Salvio /Frezzotti
Lua Lua /Buckley / Vicente
Milec / Noone
Kucharczyk /Millik
Barnes /CMS

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
In non-Albion news, I'm just about to embark on the 5th season of a game managing Valencia in Spain (although I have the English leagues running as well). Despite my limited trophy haul thus far (1x Copa del Rey), my slowly improving league positions (4th, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd) seem to be keeping the board happy enough. The club got taken over in the second season, which was a godsend as it cleared most of the debt and actually gave me some money to spend. Last season was a frustrating one as, despite amassing 95 points in the league, I still finished ELEVEN points behind Barcelona, and I then lost the Copa del Rey final to Real Madrid after having lead 1-0 most of the way then conceding an 86th minute equaliser and a 93rd minute penalty which they scored to nick the game and the Cup.

Squad currently looks like this:

Goalkeepers: Diego Alves, Vicente Guaita, Sebastian Viera

Defenders: Cesar Azpilicueta, Jose Angel, Natxo Monreal, Dejan Lovren, Adil Rami, Victor Ruiz, Salvador Martinez

Midfielders: Sergio Busquets, Rasmus Elm, Alan Dzagoev, Ever Banega, Hernan Bernardello

Attacking Midfielders/Wingers: Antonio Valencia, Pablo Piatti, Eugene Konoplyanka, Pedro Leon

Strikers: Jonathan Cristaldo, Iker Muniain, Roberto Soldado, Rodrigo Peralta

Muniain from Athletic Bilbao was my HUGE Summer signing, as I decided to put all my eggs in one basket and pay an eye-watering £40 Million to meet his minimum release clause (I tried to get him for less, but they weren't having it). He's spent the last 4 seasons scoring very well in an increasingly poor Athletic side, so I'm hoping that he can emulate and surpass that with some proper service from my wingers and a proper partnership with Cristaldo (now that Soldado is getting on a bit). At 22, and with key stats reading:

Finishing: 16
Composure: 15
Pace:16
Acceleration: 19

I feel I shouldn't be disappointed, and hopefully my top level coaching staff will get the best from him in that regard. Co-incidentally enough, although most of his fee came from my existing budget, I did have to sell some fringe players to make up the balance, with two of those going being Eren Derdiyok (£5m) and Jozy Altidore (£9m), both of whom made the hop across the channel to newly-promoted Premiership side Brighton and Hove Albion (under the management of Alan Curbishley!), so clearly Tony is splashing the cash a bit over there. Hopefully my new star, plus a slightly aging Barca side, can lead me to an improvement in my trophy tally this time around. :thumbsup:

In more Mestalla news, things have finally clicked these last few seasons. Muniain has now been here for 3 seasons and those three seasons have yielded 3 consecutive La Liga titles, 3 consecutive Copa del Rey wins, 2 Spanish Super Cups, 1 Champions League and 1 European Super Cup.

This season (having already won the aforementioned Spanish and European Super Cups), I'm top of the league coming into December, through to the Last 16 of the Champions League and warming up for a month which will see me play Barca and Real in La Liga as well as having a crack at adding the World Club Championship to my collection.

Muniain hit 57 goals in 57 games last season and has now been joined up front (as Cristaldo is aging and becomng ever more injury prone) by a £45 million BEAST of a striker named Jordan Ayew from L'OM who has got it all from power to pace to composure to flair and has taken my attack to a whole new level, so I'm optimistic of further success.

Thus far I've been offered and declined the AC Milan job as well as the Spanish, English and Argentinean national jobs. To say I'm rather enjoying this game would be understatiing it, all things considered.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
This worked for me.. :)

Attachments

• palarse.jpg
    palarse.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 167

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
have not had much luck in getting Lua Lua to sign.. Anyone know how which contract they offered him?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
have not had much luck in getting Lua Lua to sign.. Anyone know how which contract they offered him?

I wouldn't say he is worth signing unless you're planning on staying in the Championship for a couple more seasons. I bought him for £1 million when his loan expired. He should join for wages around 7-10k as long as he has had playing time and you're doing ok in the league.
I ended up selling him to Wolves for £1 million with add ons in my second season in the Prem though- just wasn't good enough.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
if only!!

and whose the Stephen lad whose got 2 assists there? can't read his surname but sounds decent. I take it your in your first season with that team?

Dobbie.. He wasn't cheap but is doing pretty well.. Yeah, am in my first season sitting in third at the beginning of Jan.. :)

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
After getting relegated from the Premier League after only one season and winning the league cup i had a massive clear out of my squad and this is what i have now for my return to the championship:

Goalkeepers
Joe Lewis

Defenders
Marcos Painter
Martin Cranie
Steve Cook
Tyler Blackett (promising youngster from Man Utd)
Jay Mceveley
Josh Thompson (500k from celtic)
Lewis Dunk
Harry Maguire ( Youngster from colchester 1mill)
Greg Cunningham

Midfielders
Liam Bridcutt
Danny Drinkwater
James Henry
Vicente (he just wont leave)
Kazenga Lualua
Elliot Bennett
Adam Clayton

Strikers
Jamie Mackie
Ross Mccormack
Freddy Sears
Craig Mackail Smith
Will Hoskins
Sam Baldock
Roland Bergkamp

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Has anyone had any success at getting their youth recruitment and whatnot improved? (I'm looking at you, [MENTION=5]Turkey[/MENTION].) Just wondering because although I asked the board and they said it had been improved, a few months down the line nothing's changed on my facilities tab.

Wondering what were peoples biggest signing? Mine may have to be Petr Cech in my 3rd season. on a free. Now Man City want him and they are first.

For my current season I signed Jordan Henderson in early August. He was on the transfer list at Liverpool, so I only paid £5.5m, but significantly he turned down Spurs to sign for me. Even given that I had Champions League football (Spurs didn't) it was very gratifying to see a player turn down an established big club for us.

Conversely, earlier this season I tried to sign Thibault Cortois from Chelsea (where he was transfer listed at his own request due to not playing first team football), only for him to turn me down for Man City (where, unsurprisingly, he has sat on the bench behind Joe Hart. Great move, Thibault!). He would have been pretty much the last piece of the jigsaw for a title tilt I think, so I was pretty gutted.

Has anyone had any success at getting their youth recruitment and whatnot improved? (I'm looking at you, [MENTION=5]Turkey[/MENTION].) Just wondering because although I asked the board and they said it had been improved, a few months down the line nothing's changed on my facilities tab.

In the game mechanics the youth facilities (and training facilities) are rated on a 1-20 scale (like player stats), and if the board say they've improved them then this number will have increased. However the descriptions are simply tied to certain key values (don't know what they are but it could be for example different descriptions every 4 points) and it's only when you hit the next flagged value that the text will change. I've managed to vastly improve my youth facilities in my 6 seasons.

Haven't finished the season (16/17) yet, I'm in late March, but so far have won the League Cup, made the semi-final of the FA Cup (where I'm playing Villa) and got knocked out of the Champions League by Bayern Munich in the last 16, having somehow gained maximum points from my group which included Paris St Germain and Inter (I won 4-0 in the San Siro!). The regens (some bought in as young players, some direct from the academy) are getting involved and while none are yet first choice they are getting increasing amounts of game time. I have a couple of very good strikers (one apparently could potentially be as good as Wayne Rooney) and central midfielders coming through.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
For my current season I signed Jordan Henderson in early August. He was on the transfer list at Liverpool, so I only paid £5.5m, but significantly he turned down Spurs to sign for me. Even given that I had Champions League football (Spurs didn't) it was very gratifying to see a player turn down an established big club for us.

Conversely, earlier this season I tried to sign Thibault Cortois from Chelsea (where he was transfer listed at his own request due to not playing first team football), only for him to turn me down for Man City (where, unsurprisingly, he has sat on the bench behind Joe Hart. Great move, Thibault!). He would have been pretty much the last piece of the jigsaw for a title tilt I think, so I was pretty gutted.

In the game mechanics the youth facilities (and training facilities) are rated on a 1-20 scale (like player stats), and if the board say they've improved them then this number will have increased. However the descriptions are simply tied to certain key values (don't know what they are but it could be for example different descriptions every 4 points) and it's only when you hit the next flagged value that the text will change. I've managed to vastly improve my youth facilities in my 6 seasons.

Haven't finished the season (16/17) yet, I'm in late March, but so far have won the League Cup, made the semi-final of the FA Cup (where I'm playing Villa) and got knocked out of the Champions League by Bayern Munich in the last 16, having somehow gained maximum points from my group which included Paris St Germain and Inter (I won 4-0 in the San Siro!). The regens (some bought in as young players, some direct from the academy) are getting involved and while none are yet first choice they are getting increasing amounts of game time. I have a couple of very good strikers (one apparently could potentially be as good as Wayne Rooney) and central midfielders coming through.

Yeah, I've got my facilities improved a bit, and you can monitor the progress of that as it turns up in the board requests when they start building. But increases to the youth recruitment network and junior coaching budgets don't, and I'm just curious as to whether they're actually improving, as without the text descriptions there's no way to verify whether they are or not.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I seem to have graphical problems with my game. All the advertising hoardings around the pitch have disappeared and also I'm sure there was a button to click underneath the team names to make substitutions, well thats gone as well.

Antbody got any ideas of how to fix this?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Yeah, I've got my facilities improved a bit, and you can monitor the progress of that as it turns up in the board requests when they start building. But increases to the youth recruitment network and junior coaching budgets don't, and I'm just curious as to whether they're actually improving, as without the text descriptions there's no way to verify whether they are or not.

It'll increase the quality of young players coming through into your youth team each season. Can't recall if there's anywhere to check, can ask some people tomorrow.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
It'll increase the quality of young players coming through into your youth team each season. Can't recall if there's anywhere to check, can ask some people tomorrow.

Cheers. It's not a big problem - it might even be that the game's designed that way, I don't know. Basically I asked Bloom to improve the youth recruitment network, he said yes and Ken Brown said it was now at an average level for a team of our stature. But three months on teh facilities tab still says fairly basic youth recruitment, not average as I'd have thought it should be.

The Bear

Dec 21, 2010
You can. I transferred a game from a PC to mac a few years ago with no problems. Assume it would be the same with newer versions. Just transfer via an external drive as you would any other file and when loading on new comp just select file location.

The Bear

Dec 21, 2010
After 2 years in the champ got promoted through the play offs. After a fairly good start in the Prem I'm now languishing in the bottom six and am well in a relegation dogfight. I'm packing about £10mil but can't seem to attract any of the players I'm after. I'm not trying to sign Messi or anything just good young South Americans who constantly turn me down for the likes of Genoa?!?!

Even with a good wod in the bank Bloom won't cough up for ground expansion even though we sell out every other week. Fuckin tight ass that man ;-)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports