Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official FOOTBALL MANAGER 2012 Career Thread

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
How long did it take you to first qualify for the champions league?

I think it was 2021 maybe?

A general tip for someone starting, I suggest getting Joe Lewis at the start of the first season, and push for promotion before Vicente's contract expires. Dunk and Lewis both transform into good mid-table premier league players. Once you get promoted try to avoid spending all your money, its better spent on stadium expansion and training/youth facilities as long as you can avoid relegation.

I bought a few other decent players to help the squad, nathan redmond, jack hobbs, djibril sidebe

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Finished 5th in 2014/2015 with Brighton after setting a bugdet of midtable. Now aiming for a champions league spot at the end of the year. Signed Jack Rodwell and Ross Barkley from Everton as well as a strike force of Delfouneso and Sturrige who are both deadly for me

Last edited:

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I haven't been playing this too much of late due to work and Skyrim but I'm on the verge of finishing my first season. Undefeated in the league so far and I was quite happy with the result of the Carling Cup final.....

Nice.jpg

I haven't been playing this too much of late due to work and Skyrim but I'm on the verge of finishing my first season. Undefeated in the league so far and I was quite happy with the result of the Carling Cup final.....

View attachment 30402

Bloody hell how did you manage that in your first season?? I also like how you've kept with the majority of Gus' squad :wink:

I have just finished the 2017/18 season with Brighton and England. On the back of winning the domestic treble the previous season (first Premier League title, FA Cup and League Cup) expectations were still limited (only expected to qualify for Europa League through league position) but we far exceeded that. Great season in the league which saw us finish above long-time leaders Man City but ultimately undone by a fantastic late run of form from eventual champions Liverpool to finish 2nd, and finally beat Man United (the only team we had yet to beat in any competition). Managed to beat Man City to win the League Cup for the 3rd consecutive year and a very nice FA cup draw (only decent team I faced was Man City in the semifinal) saw us also defend the FA Cup. Most miraculously of all after topping a tough Champions League group (containing Bayern, who knocked us out in the 2nd round last year, Lyon and Sheriff) the draw for the knockout stages wasincredibly kind, and we beat Atletico Madrid on penalties, Lyon (again) in the quarters comfortably, Marseille in extra time in the semi to make it to the final against Real Madrid. A crazy first half (which saw us 1-0 down, then 2-1 up, then 3-2 and finished 3-3) gave way to a quiet 2nd half until an 88th minute close range header from my substitute striker saw us prevail 4-3.

With England at the World Cup we then flattered to decieve, with Rooney struggling for form. It took a last-minute equaliser in our first game to draw 2-2 with hosts Turkey, before stuffing SEVEN past Australia and salvaging a 1-1 draw in the final game against Uruguay to top the group. We scraped past Paraguay in the 2nd round before stuffing Brazil 4-0 (rather flukily it must be said). The semi-final was against France and despite dominating we could only draw 1-1 and were knocked out on penalties (surprise surprise!). The reserves got an outing in the 3rd placed playoff and we beat Croatia 2-0.

Most of the Brighton team is still original players, although there are some decent regens. The best regen of the lot, a midfield star called Aaron Jackson, left in the summer when Bloom sold him over my head to Man Utd for £21.5m. In January I sold captain Lewis Dunk (because he was no longer first choice) to recently taken over Tottenham for £14m, meaning that none of the original squad are still at the club. In fact I think the only link with the past is Charlie Oatway, who I made my assistant manager as soon as I arrived and is still in position.

My team;
gk) Scott Loach (although I've just signed the fantastic Marc-André ter Stegen from Monchengladbach for £27m)
dr) Lee Hodson
dl) Jack Robinson
dc) Tiago Illori
dc) Gregory Marchand (French regen)
dmc) Diego Meyer (Swiss regen)
cm) Ross Barkley
cm) Jonjo Shelvey
amr) Nathan Redmond
aml) Xavier Shaqiri
cf) Connor Wickham (c)

Reserves and back-ups are almost all regens, with the honourable exception (off the top of my head) of Paul Pogba.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
3rd season just finished (been busy recently) - Barnsley gaffer and starting to get more respect from other players but finished third in the league (came down to the final game of the season) , beat Bournemouth in the semi finals of the play offs 3-0 on aggregate but lost 1-0 to Colchester with an 87th minute winner in the final

slightly tempted to move on to my fifth club in four seasons ...

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Bloody hell how did you manage that in your first season?? I also like how you've kept with the majority of Gus' squad :wink:

Tactically I downloaded a number of tactics from the SI forum and experimented/found the best one that worked for me. Player and staff wise I used FMRTE to find the best value personnel. My training schedule I made myself but based it on another download from SI forums.

I sold/shipped to the reserves everyone except Vicente, Buckley, CMS and Dunk.

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
Started my career with Brighton, in my first season I won the Championship, finishing on 101 points, scoring 101 goals. Jamie Mackie finished top goalscorer in the league with 26 goals. Picked up some great signings for my first Premiership signings. Ended up finishing 8th, and reaching the F.A Cup final (lost 2-1 to Man City) which meant that it was European football for the Albion.

However, after 10 league games, Chelsea came in for me and I decided to give it a go. Left Brighton in the top ten of the Prem, and already qualified from our EURO Cup group (Basel, Strum Graz and PSV). Looking forward to turning a f***ing woeful Chelsea team around. :no:

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Tactically I downloaded a number of tactics from the SI forum and experimented/found the best one that worked for me. Player and staff wise I used FMRTE to find the best value personnel. My training schedule I made myself but based it on another download from SI forums.

I sold/shipped to the reserves everyone except Vicente, Buckley, CMS and Dunk.

so in other words you cheated

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I've still not jumped to 2012, 2011 is still more than enough for me.

Anyway, third season with Brighton and I'm just behind Leicester at the top of the table. Signed Billy Sharp for just over £1mil after he blitzed League 1 with some obscene goal tally and also picked up Royston Drenthe on a free. Pretty satisfied with that! Did recently get beaten by Palace though. We went 3-0 up in the first half and in the second the boys just didn't bother meaning we went on to lose 4-3. Not happy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here