The official Brighton Marathon 2013 thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
You have a very accurate watch. Chip time: 03:56:44 Well done! I also managed by first sub 4 hour marathon with Chip time: 03:58:36 Spent the last 8 or so miles doing maths! Support throughout the course was amazing. Thanks to all!

Brilliant effort Beardy, thanks for checking my time for me...still can't get the site to work so your the first to inform me of that! Congratulations and well done...I know what you mean about the maths, I was constantly adjusting my splits and deciding if I felt like I could go for an 8 or if I should bide my time with the 9s...I sort of stuck to my original plan, but adapted it in the 2nd half by taking some time from some bits and adding them to others!

Once again, well done!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Knackered. That was hard work.

Support throughout the course was amazing. Thanks to all!
You're welcome. Every year I say never again, but then I go and agree to cheer the runners on.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hope she won't mind me posting....

Chip time: 04:57:07 Top effort.

Thanks, I am thrilled to bits (I know it's not anything like you proper runners but I am by no means a proper runner). I secretly hoped for a time starting with 4 after doing 5:12 last time, but wasn't remotely confident at the start.

When I got to the 23 mile mark with more than half an hour to spare till 5hrs, I realised it was on, & I decided I'd regret it forever if I didn't push myself to the line. To my utter astonishment, and with a very sore left knee, I found myself overtaking a fair few people in the last three miles, & (possibly to great comedy effect) I even managed a sprint finish as I wasn't sure how close I was to the five hour point.

If any of you were there shouting my me: thank you, it meant so much*.

*Apart from one guy who seemed to think my vest said "Dicki".

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
See a 23 year old man has died after suffering a cardiac arrest. Very sad. Thoughts with his family.

I just read that. A sobering dose of perspective. Hope all NSCers & your friends & family got home safely.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
See a 23 year old man has died after suffering a cardiac arrest. Very sad. Thoughts with his family.
:( Very sad. A couple of people collapsed with just a hundred metres to go, but fortunately that was just their legs. Runners would try and pick them up and they'd fall straight back down - completely shattered.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Brilliantly done everybody. You are all properly awesome. Mrs H came in just behind Beardy Gull in 3:58:54. I have just been back down to the finish line to see the donkey come in and even got to meet the rhino. May post some pics when they're edited.

Now, do I try this myself or not in 2013?

EDIT: Just seen the news of the fatality. Sad end to a day that brought joy to thousands. Take care everybody.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Fantastic seeing several runners in town proudly sporting their medals, dressed in all the top brand kit and puffing on oily rags. Just shows that smoking and a healthy lifestyle aren't mutually exclusive after all. Go on, have a fag!
:thumbsup:

el punal

Thanks, I am thrilled to bits (I know it's not anything like you proper runners but I am by no means a proper runner). I secretly hoped for a time starting with 4 after doing 5:12 last time, but wasn't remotely confident at the start.

When I got to the 23 mile mark with more than half an hour to spare till 5hrs, I realised it was on, & I decided I'd regret it forever if I didn't push myself to the line. To my utter astonishment, and with a very sore left knee, I found myself overtaking a fair few people in the last three miles, & (possibly to great comedy effect) I even managed a sprint finish as I wasn't sure how close I was to the five hour point.

If any of you were there shouting my me: thank you, it meant so much*.

*Apart from one guy who seemed to think my vest said "Dicki".

Many congratulations Dicki on a your fantastic effort!! :cool: :cool:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Congrats to all! Would love to have the bottle to do a marathon so a lot of respect to those that do.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Well done to you all.

We handed out 20 bags of jelly babies, and hundreds of cut up oranges.

Saw a fair few ALbion shirts, as well as REMF shirts, including Kev (palace) and Barrel of Fun running for Whoopsadaisy.

Congratulations to you all.

Now go and have a bath, and a drink.

You absolute gent. Orange is my favourite fruit. I could have stayed there for much longer devouring them. Most kind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports