Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The official Brighton Marathon 2013 thread

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Thanks, I am thrilled to bits (I know it's not anything like you proper runners but I am by no means a proper runner). I secretly hoped for a time starting with 4 after doing 5:12 last time, but wasn't remotely confident at the start.

When I got to the 23 mile mark with more than half an hour to spare till 5hrs, I realised it was on, & I decided I'd regret it forever if I didn't push myself to the line. To my utter astonishment, and with a very sore left knee, I found myself overtaking a fair few people in the last three miles, & (possibly to great comedy effect) I even managed a sprint finish as I wasn't sure how close I was to the five hour point.

If any of you were there shouting my me: thank you, it meant so much*.

*Apart from one guy who seemed to think my vest said "Dicki".

Saw you a couple of times in my spartan gear! Well done!!!! Top effort all round

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
Well done everyone. I ran my second Brighton marathon today and the support was fantastic again - thanks to all of you who made it such a great day.

Also very sorry to hear about the runner who died. Very sad.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Thanks, I am thrilled to bits (I know it's not anything like you proper runners but I am by no means a proper runner). I secretly hoped for a time starting with 4 after doing 5:12 last time, but wasn't remotely confident at the start.

When I got to the 23 mile mark with more than half an hour to spare till 5hrs, I realised it was on, & I decided I'd regret it forever if I didn't push myself to the line. To my utter astonishment, and with a very sore left knee, I found myself overtaking a fair few people in the last three miles, & (possibly to great comedy effect) I even managed a sprint finish as I wasn't sure how close I was to the five hour point.

Well done. Great achievement. Was great to bump into you during the run. Sorry for nattering!

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
No results yet,would have thought the top 500 at least should be up,Brighton 10k were showing results after 2hours.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Well done Edna and everyone else!! 2k raised for REMF too. Great stuff.

Looking forward to the blister/toenail/foot rot pictures later on.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well done Edna and everyone else!! 2k raised for REMF too. Great stuff.

Looking forward to the blister/toenail/foot rot pictures later on.

Two and a HALF grand now :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I did spot CPFC REMF Captain as he made his way away from the power station and I was running towards it.

I called out "Kev!", and then when he turned round to look, I shouted "Three nil!" in his direction, and ran off, cackling to myself.

In hindsight, that was a bit unsporting of me, wasn't it? Sorry, Kev...good time by the way :lolol:

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
'twas amazing. Saw Vikki early on and was running near this guy for a while.
Well done fella. Well done everyone else. You are all awesome xxx ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365964272.637725.jpg

cpfc remf captain

Jul 6, 2003
I did spot CPFC REMF Captain as he made his way away from the power station and I was running towards it.

I called out "Kev!", and then when he turned round to look, I shouted "Three nil!" in his direction, and ran off, cackling to myself.

In hindsight, that was a bit unsporting of me, wasn't it? Sorry, Kev...good time by the way :lolol:

I did stick 2 fingers up behind my head at you. Well done on your time aswell and getting round. Think I could be pretty good at this running malarkey if I could be bothered to put the training in.

Also very sad that one poor runner won't be going home to his family tonight.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I think at 53 i should be a coach rather than run it. My nephew got 3rd in the mini mile. I loved the day. Loved the run. Was on schedule for sub 4 at hove lagoon. Bang on target but then the whole month off in March due to injury hit. Down to 12 minute miles and walking. Got 4:08:47. Still enjoyed knowing I was going to finish. Brother beat me by 36 minutes!

Unfortunately I saw the first aid on the runner that died. I had to check that it wasn't one of my group. It was a sombre moment.

As I ran past a Palace shirt, in the heat of the moment, I smiled and said " Well done. See you at Wembley" He replied " I dont think we will get there"

Great day. Hope you all enjoyed it. See you at Wembley.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Congratulations to Charlie Stephenson, Kevin Risby, Harry Vaughan, Vicki Lank, Oliver Collis and Kirsty Burroughs on your super efforts for the REMF today in the Brighton Marathon. I think I saw most of you at the Southwick Power Station wearing my REMF top with PRIDE.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Got to say, aren't the hand written signs held up by spectators starting to become reminiscent of darts matches?

Ones I saw today included (apologies for any slight inaccuracies, concentrating wasn't always easy :) )

-"Hurry up you lot, my arms are aching from holding this up"

-"Random motivational sign"

-"Go, complete stranger!"

-"Run faster guys, I just farted"

crowboro eagle

Oct 6, 2011
Well done to everyone who ran today. I was totally gutted that i had to pull out at the last minute due to illness and injury. Ill be back next year fitter than ever!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here