The official Albion v Palace build-up banter and p*ss-taking thread [Palace fans welcome]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The meetings over the last 40 years dictates that over confidence means you have further to fall when it all goes belly up. Anything can happen in a local derby and form normally goes out the window.

Further to fall in who's eyes, palaces? I really couldn't give a toss what palace think and the day I fear them will never come. You worry too much, it's the biggest game of the season, enjoy the pantomime.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
shit - had a dream last night about the BHA Palace game....

ok - the amex had a massive game arena around the pitch were fans could notch up points that helped towards goals......some ex girlfriends were on the palace team.....bitches as well in the real world.

at the end we were winning and started celebrating, then they got a last minute wierd thing from one of my ex's - and we lost 4 - 4.1

? how the feck does a team score 4.1?

it felt HORRIBLE.........(not the ex stuff, the losing t palace in the last minute) - i never want to relive that.......i even felt "well up for a ruck" when i knew we had lost.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I am looking forward to sunday, ultimately games like this are the reasons you go to football in the first place. Having said that as George Lucas wrote several times, "I have a bad feeling about this". For me Palace are the best attacking team in the division, a lot of pace and and you know who in the middle. If we are to win we have to get on the front foot early and play the game in the Palace half to curb their attacking instincts. I make Palace the heavy favourites for this game, I think they have at least one more goal in them than us.

Having said that, if the likes of Orlandi, Lopez, Vicente and Ulloa really turn it on and Bridcutt maintains his usual high standards then we could get the upset.

To think that over 28,000 are going to be there is just giving me goosebumps already, bring it on!

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Very nervous about this game if i'm honest. Their front 4 can destroy anyone on their day and they are a second half team as well.. We will need at least 2 before halftime.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Why is it limited? I thought all the new seats were installed? Just bought a ticket for a mate and the stadium plan showed nothing available, but was able to buy in North stand. Must be in the corner

Safety certificate stuff and segregation I think. Shame we couldn't hit the 30k mark for this one.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Not looking forward to the game at all. Palace are a good attacking side, we're struggling for goals, our players have a habit of not quite turning up for the Palace derbies, and at the last Amex encounter the home fans were unusually quiet and edgy. It's a bit like a dental appointment for me. I know I've got to go, and it might not be as unpleasant as I think, but it won't be comfortable either.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Similar to the game at Selhurst, I think it could boil down to who Brighton have in their starting 11. I know the referee played the biggest role in our 3-0 win, but having players like Bridge missing was a huge loss to your hopes I thought.

The same goes for Sunday, Bloom is very well known for putting his hand in his pocket for BHAFC, so a decent loan signing to replace Barnes and CMS could make the world of difference. If you've just got Ulloa (who has been impressive), I think it could be a far tougher game than it needed be.

If the game was at Selhurst, I would be extremely confident, our away form is terrible though despite winning our last game so I'm predicting and accepting that a point would be good and quite likely.

I understand Andy Johnson is being lined up on loan for the rest of the season.

mcgoldrick

Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Eastbourne
I want to beat you 'orrible lot not just because it's Palace (although some bragging rights back would be nice - for the record I think ground and attendances < beating one another and league position. Granted other (strange) folk on here don't) but I plain and simply can't have you lot going up.

This season has been a massive fluke for you. You were one of the favourites to go down, you didn't have a pot to piss in. You had "that Brighton ****" and a young lad with fancy foot work but no end product (Palace supporters synopsis on my table at the Oaks last year). But it's all clicked for you. That young lad became unplayable and "that Brighton ****" well, I don't think he got close to 30 goals a season for us in the third or fourth division! If he carries on like he is going he's going to be close to a 40 goal a season man. Add to that the Brizzle City reject you plucked out from no where who tore us to shreds, Jediwarrior (or whatever his name is) who you claim is better than Bridcutt (haven't seen enough of the former to comment) and a solid back line it's safe to say you've had a great season! Even your manager (and Palace legend) jumping ship only de-railed you slightly.

BUT

I can't have you going up and I'll tell you why:

Firstly like I said it's been a massive fluke! Zaha will be gone we already know that. If you don't go up Murray will be sold and you'll be sensible to cash in on him whilst his stock is high. You'll still have to replace him though and replacing a 40 goal a season striker is near on impossible without spending massively. If Jedimaster is as good as you lot make out someone will be in for him (as I'm sure they will for Bridcutt). You may well keep your back line, Spironi has shown in the past he's no ambition to play at a higher level and the rest aren't world beaters just solid second division players. You'll go back to being mid to lower half of the table side IMO.

Secondly Holloway is a dick! Before he went up with Blackpool I thought he was a berk who just came out with daft comments now and again. He didn't get the air time to affect my life in any significant way. Then SSN were going to him to ask him about anything and everything from the fiscal state of Greece to what his nan had for dinner last week. It got boring after the first week. By the third week I wanted to launch my coffee table through my telly every time his turnip eating face came on it. It's safe to say I don't like the bloke and now he's gone to your horrible lot it's another reason to wish ill on him. If you go up I think I'll cancel my sky sport subscription as I don't think I could take having to replace my TV every other day!

Thirdly I can't stand you lot. Simple as that. Your fans are smug wankers but I'll admit you've got every reason to be smug over us. You've been by far the better side over us for pretty much all of my lifetime on this rock. If you go up you'll probably come straight back down (as would we) but the money that would generate for you would ensure you'll be there or thereabouts for several seasons coming.

I'm not fussed about us going up, of course I'd like us to but it wouldn't be the end of the world if we didn't. It would be a ****ing nightmare if you lot go up though! If you were to offer me neither of us going up now I'd happily take that and look forward to another season of fun and games next year.

I would say enjoy the game next week but I wouldn't mean it. I hope it's a totally miserable experience for you and the rest of the red and blue mcockney wannabees who are going to infest our town next week.

UTAFOP

Great read - this is what rivalry is all about and the main reason I signed up to this site to read excellent posts like this. I can't be confident that we'll get a result at the Amex - that would just be too perfect for us. And if we did go up I can't see us sticking up there. Not convinced we would lose as many of our players as you think though. With this season's success and the fact that they all seem to be enjoying the football we are playing and the results that are coming I think that will count for quite a bit. Not sure if anyone beyond Wilf and Williams would interest too many top sides that could make an offer we couldn't refuse.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sorry to disappoint, was visiting family for mother's day :thumbsup:

No idea what the result is going to be, to be honest. It really could go either way. I can't see either side keeping a clean sheet. Our defense is average at best but in terms of goal scoring we're incredible. I'd be surprised if we scored less than three and I'd be even more surprised if we conceded less than two.

Brighton missing key players up front is very good news for us. Holloway's philosophy is one of all out attack so we'll be creating chances with pace and flair for 90 minutes + injury time. Expect no defensive substitutions from Palace regardless of score, and expect Kevin Phillips to play some part.

If this was at Selhurst Park again I'd be 100% confident of 3 points. Unfortunately it isn't and apart from Derby we haven't traveled well in 2013, so I don't think anyone knows what's going to happen.

Both teams set up to control the game through possession. You've been doing it a lot longer than we have, and your players are better passers of the ball (especially with Owen Garvan out injured for us) but we've got a lot more pace in the team, we've got better finishers and we've got better wingers. When it comes to defense you are far superior, no question, but I doubt it'll be enough to stop Glenn "30 goals by March" Murray and Kevin "scores a brace against the Weeds again" Phillips.

By far the most sensible, intelligent, balanced, well thought out post I've ever seen from you.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
GM - Why would you be surprised if you scored less than three? You haven't done it at all away from home this season. Obviously its possible, but not doing it against the second tightest home defence when you haven't managed to do it against any of the worst couldn't really come as a surprise.

Us scoring two would be statistically more likely given that you have conceded more than once away on several occasions. However, this would come as a surprise to a lot of us. It has been so frustrating watching a side as technically good as Brighton's not getting the points that repeated dominance in matches suggests it might, that a lot of us have become pessimistic about our chances against any of the strong sides in the division. This is magnified when comparing our lot with yours, as you seem to be having one of those seasons where players like Murray, Garvan and Bolasie have performed at levels that their previous records would have given no indication of being likely on a consistent basis.

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
The 11 Brighton players we have on the pitch will play there hearts out.

Last edited:

FinchleyEagle

Nov 19, 2012
GM - Why would you be surprised if you scored less than three? You haven't done it at all away from home this season. Obviously its possible, but not doing it against the second tightest home defence when you haven't managed to do it against any of the worst couldn't really come as a surprise.

Us scoring two would be statistically more likely given that you have conceded more than once away on several occasions. However, this would come as a surprise to a lot of us. It has been so frustrating watching a side as technically good as Brighton's not getting the points that repeated dominance in matches suggests it might, that a lot of us have become pessimistic about our chances against any of the strong sides in the division. This is magnified when comparing our lot with yours, as you seem to be having one of those seasons where players like Murray, Garvan and Bolasie have performed at levels that their previous records would have given no indication of being likely on a consistent basis.

Good analysis - but then you throw in the derby mix and literally anything can happen and frequently does. For me your red card at Selhurst was a direct result of your lad letting the occasion get to him.

We haven't had Garvan for a few months now. I think he's a wonderful player and wonder where we would be now if he had stayed fit...

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
This one is too close to call, not only because it is a derby but because it actually has some bearing on the prospects of either team pushing for promotion. It has to be one of the most eagerly anticipated derbies of all time between us. Palace clearly have the tools to cause problems going forward but do have some defensive frailties that can be exposed away from home by a team pushing forward. If they go all out attack that will leave them exposed and in areas where we can do some real damage so If we can defend as well as we have been doing for most of the season I think we can catch them as they pour forward and hurt them. One thing is for sure, I cannot see it ending 0-0 and I think there will be at least one red card, hopefully for them this time round. We need Charlie Oatway to get the team fired up just before they come out and we need to turn up. I think both teams will be nervous and a lot will depend on who settles down first. Bring.it.on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports