Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2021/22 Edition

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
A fellow Shots fan lives near Steyning and does a few games . WE should all promote non league football.

The last time they came to a non league game with me was at Lewes about 7 years ago, it was December and freezing, I’m sure it was also 0-0 and they were not impressed :rolleyes:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Planned to make my first visit to Steyning’s ground when Newhaven visit on the 16th

Seems to be a bit of a buzz about Steyning at the moment. The club seem to be doing things the right way.

A good friend and fellow Albion fan lives in Steyning, hopefully a few more of our friends are also going to the match…..I’m promoting non league football :)

A fellow Shots fan lives near Steyning and does a few games . WE should all promote non league football.

They have a very nice club house and if you need sustenance they have really decent burgers etc. The club is doing things right, over 20 teams in total, helped by having a 3G pitch. I’ve done a bit of sponsorship for them over the past few years but I guess nothing works better than bodies through the turnstiles.

They’ve had a recent tragedy which might explain the recent poor run of form but they have retained a decent group of players over recent years. Watch out for Rob Clark and former Lewis midfielder Tom Bold, and especially catch winger Mayckol ‘Magic’ Sabine. Despite rumours from elsewhere in the league I understand the players play for free, of course they’re reimbursed for travel and other expenses, but all the money that comes into the club is invested back into the club.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
They have a very nice club house and if you need sustenance they have really decent burgers etc. The club is doing things right, over 20 teams in total, helped by having a 3G pitch. I’ve done a bit of sponsorship for them over the past few years but I guess nothing works better than bodies through the turnstiles.

They’ve had a recent tragedy which might explain the recent poor run of form but they have retained a decent group of players over recent years. Watch out for Rob Clark and former Lewis midfielder Tom Bold, and especially catch winger Mayckol ‘Magic’ Sabine. Despite rumours from elsewhere in the league I understand the players play for free, of course they’re reimbursed for travel and other expenses, but all the money that comes into the club is invested back into the club.

Cheers Phil, I’m looking forward to visiting.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

Went there during the lockdown season, was a nice trip even though they lost 1-0, agree with the clubhouse and the burgers. Hopefully making the trip in a few weeks when they play on the Friday night against Lingfield on the 29th to hopefully see my 50th game of the season.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Cheers Phil, I’m looking forward to visiting.

I played for them in my youth in County League. No payment but remember lining up for petrol money after training. Names that ring a bell were a big CB Norman Manvell and Carter brothers

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Good summary. A tough few weeks for the club on and off the pitch for the men's side - but the women's team are flying. Unbeaten in the league and into the third qualifying round of the Womens FA Cup. There are around 25 teams, including over 350 registered players up to and including U18. The girls section is growing with three league registered teams this year. It's a superb pitch - used by Albion in the Community and the Chelsea Foundation (boooo) and all youth teams train on it. There are also good links with the schools (apart from parking) and also with Brighton SANDS.

We are fortunate to have Gerry Murphy as first team boss - and he has input to coaching at all levels. Gerry has managed at a higher level than the SCFL and the team try to play good football. Gerry came through the Fulham Academy and as it happens is a mate of Perry Digweed (blast from the Albion past).

The clubhouse and changing rooms could do with an upgrade (plans are afoot) but it is a modern kitchen producing really good burgers and chips. Keg and bottled beer - but the bottled beer is Hepworths. There has been quite a turnaround at the club in the past decade - starting with integrating what were Steyning Strikers into the club, installing the pitch, upgrading the floodlights, setting up a womens/girls section and more.

If you are coming to the game - park in Tanyard Lane car park and walk through the twitten to the club. There is no parking at the ground - an arrangement will hopefully be put back in place with the school at some point.

It's amazing what goes into to running a local football club - so hats off to anyone who gets involved in whatever level - from league management, club sponsorship (big up to Old Football Shirts and Superphil), admin, welfare, coaching, taking kids to and from games, and attending games. It really is a beautiful game.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Oh and it's Steyning v Peacehaven & Telescombe tonight - 7.45pm ko. And as Phil says - Saltdean at home on Saturday, followed by Newhaven at home the Saturday after.

Three tough games against our East Sussex coastal friends!

Diesel

Feb 27, 2020
Steyning for me too this weekend. Going for a walk over the downs to The Shooting Field and will reward myself with a few beers in the clubhouse :cheers:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
And a win for the Barrowmen. 2-0. Two goals from Tom Bold, both free kicks. The win was more important than the performance tbh.

Good stuff from Boldie, And a great opportunity on Saturday to climb the table a bit more.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Newhaven for me this Saturday. Should beat Lingfield but they were hard to break down at Saltdean last night. Love going to the local grounds when the Albion aren’t playing

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Newhaven for me this Saturday. Should beat Lingfield but they were hard to break down at Saltdean last night. Love going to the local grounds when the Albion aren’t playing

Newhaven we’re losing 2-1 last night at 89 minutes, then scored in the 90th and 90+4 to win the game 3-2.
I’m hoping to go myself on Saturday.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
I suffered through the 42(?) minutes that Saltdean and Littlehampton managed to get through on Saturday before the weather beat them both. At least it meant I had plenty of time to get to The Amex. What promised to be a great game between 3rd and 1st became a bit of a farce, so right decision to abandon the game. George Gaskin skimmed one off the top of the bar early on, but I can't remember any other clear-cut chances for either side.

I'll be at The Sportsfield on Saturday for the game against Crawley Down Gatwick. Both teams seem to be in a great run of form at the moment, so should be a cracker. Bit worried about the rate at which Littlehampton players are dropping by the wayside this season, I reckon less than half those who started the season in the first XI are still available. I supposed that's fairly normal at this level.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Heading up to Borehamwood from Work tomorrow to watch Torquay, a new ground for me up to 136, then off to Mile Oak v Eastbourne Town Wednesday, for a rescheduled Peter Bentley Cup Tie, hopefully no Lightning Strikes on the floodlights this time.

What a result for Mile Oak, despite being 5-0 down at half time in the first encounter before it was abandoned, they only went and bloody won the replay. Superb defending from what looked like a young Mile Oak side, will be a huge boost.

milliepops

Nov 8, 2011
at home
What a result for Mile Oak, despite being 5-0 down at half time in the first encounter before it was abandoned, they only went and bloody won the replay. Superb defending from what looked like a young Mile Oak side, will be a huge boost.

Enjoyable watch, Eastbourne dominated possession and had numerous corners but they rarely troubled the Oak keeper.

Oaks goal was a good one, great free kick delivery and a fine header.

Looked like Oak would hold out for a 1.0 win despite the 2nd half being played entirely in their half but with 5 to go Eastbourne finally got a good cross in, header well saved but from the rebound they scored.

Straight to penalties, Mile Oak scoring all 4 of theirs, all very well taken with Eastbourne missing all 3.

Tremendous effort from Mile Oak.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
i'll be at worthing later

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Anyone going to a match today?

Oh yes.

59D7B5B9-A74C-48DC-81B5-6703B49CD4A0.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports