Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The New Hotel - Original Artists Impression

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
all a matter of trust U/S
IMHO the whole lot will be sold sooner rather than later:censored:

You really believe that!!?? Negative twaddle from you as usual.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
An accountant was walking along the road and he sees a man sitting on the pavement. So he walks up to him and says 'dear chap. Why are you here?' To wit the man replies, 'i'm homeless, broke and my wife as left me'. The accountant pondered for a while then reverting to type said 'that's all well and good, but how does it compare to last year?'

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
An accountant was walking along the road and he sees a man sitting on the pavement. So he walks up to him and says 'dear chap. Why are you here?' To wit the man replies, 'i'm homeless, broke and my wife as left me'. The accountant pondered for a while then reverting to type said 'that's all well and good, but how does it compare to last year?'
You can't beat a good accountancy gag...

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Not so. The club will fund it, build it, own it and let it to a hotel company - the club will then get rental revenue.

They are at present going through a viability study to see that the numbers stack up. If those figures look acceptable, then they will put in the planning application.

Non-football related income can NOT be included in FFP calculations

It is one of the listed 'loopholes' that the League will be looking out for

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Non-football related income can NOT be included in FFP calculations

It is one of the listed 'loopholes' that the League will be looking out for

If only the FL would concentrate on ensuring:
(a) those who transgress are suitably punished
(b) those that comply are suitably rewarded
(c) sticking to what was agreed, rather than what the EPL wants

The whole FFP thing appears to be one big ****-up.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
If only the FL would concentrate on ensuring:
(a) those who transgress are suitably punished
(b) those that comply are suitably rewarded
(c) sticking to what was agreed, rather than what the EPL wants

The whole FFP thing appears to be one big ****-up.

Much better if they just binned the whole idea of FFP :(

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's hardly central, but it is closer to Derby centre that the Amex is to Brighton centre. Also, at least 7,000 work at Sussex & Brighton Universities, so there are comparisons to be made, and there is currently no hotel close by.

It really depends which sort of hotel they build. You can put a Travelodge type hotel anywhere within 5 miles of a built up area in the UK and fill it all week with builders and sales types. Weekend it is stag parties and the like. If it is a 4 star hotel then people paying more dollar will not want to be stuck out at Falmer.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It really depends which sort of hotel they build. You can put a Travelodge type hotel anywhere within 5 miles of a built up area in the UK and fill it all week with builders and sales types. Weekend it is stag parties and the like. If it is a 4 star hotel then people paying more dollar will not want to be stuck out at Falmer.

The aim is to attract conference guests, so that The Amex can be used for two or more day conferences, as well as away fans wanting to spend a weekend in Brighton when their team is in town.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Presumably the research has been done to suggest it will have a high occupancy rate. At a guess, the two universities will provide plenty of business, be they parents visiting offspring, would-be-students on research trips, visiting staff and so on. As will other local employers like Southern Water. Plus business will come from the Albion's own conferences.

I think I've said it elsewhere on this thread (can't be arsed to run back through it and check)- about five years ago they stuck a Premier Inn in the middle of the industrial estate in Burgess Hill. I couldn't work out why they'd bothered, but they told me it runs at over 90% occupancy, which shows how much business they get from the corporate sector. Because you sure as hell wouldn't pick Burgess Hill for a holiday.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The aim is to attract conference guests, so that The Amex can be used for two or more day conferences, as well as away fans wanting to spend a weekend in Brighton when their team is in town.

Is it? Okay. Sounds like it will be a cheapy Travelodge style place then.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Presumably the research has been done to suggest it will have a high occupancy rate. At a guess, the two universities will provide plenty of business, be they parents visiting offspring, would-be-students on research trips, visiting staff and so on. As will other local employers like Southern Water. Plus business will come from the Albion's own conferences.

I think I've said it elsewhere on this thread (can't be arsed to run back through it and check)- about five years ago they stuck a Premier Inn in the middle of the industrial estate in Burgess Hill. I couldn't work out why they'd bothered, but they told me it runs at over 90% occupancy, which shows how much business they get from the corporate sector. Because you sure as hell wouldn't pick Burgess Hill for a holiday.

I agree. I've used a few Travelodges in odd remote places in the past and they're always rammed.

But El Pres has said it will be used for conference types and away football fans?

niknokseagull

Give us a biscuit
Oct 8, 2003
London

Edna's absolutely spot on. Working for "the worlds largest hotel group", I can tell you that a hotel is an excellent investment. But I would say that, right?

Hotel investors, owners and franchisees often make a full return on their investment, with a good brand name on the front of the property, within 5-10 years. Try finding an equivalent business 'investment' that performs that well in the current climate. Premier Inn and Holiday Inn Express have even delivered full returns in significantly less time, due to their economies of scale and lowest new-build costs. 4 star and above may take a little longer, admittedly, but given the dearth of hotel accommodation in that area and a huge source of possible business in the immediate vicinity (as Edna has already accurately referenced), this proposal makes a whole lot of sense.

You'd be amazed at how much unsupported demand there still is in big cities. Brighton being a prime example. Why do you think brands like the aforementioned Premier Inn and Holiday Inn continued to grow apace, even during the worst economic crisis in living memory.

Thank god we have a clearly wise and ambitious chairman at the helm. Better than a Sainsbury's, no?

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
If they build the hotel, and lease it out to a someone for say £3 million, can they use that money to fund the youth academy and run the training ground as that isn't counted towards FFP.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So does money from beer and pies not count either then? Because that is catering not football.

That's sold as part of the 'matchday experience' though, so does count as directly relates to the football.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I agree. I've used a few Travelodges in odd remote places in the past and they're always rammed.

But El Pres has said it will be used for conference types and away football fans?

I picked up on that from Martin Perry's comments on Albion Roar.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Edna's absolutely spot on. Working for "the worlds largest hotel group", I can tell you that a hotel is an excellent investment. But I would say that, right?

Hotel investors, owners and franchisees often make a full return on their investment, with a good brand name on the front of the property, within 5-10 years. Try finding an equivalent business 'investment' that performs that well in the current climate. Premier Inn and Holiday Inn Express have even delivered full returns in significantly less time, due to their economies of scale and lowest new-build costs. 4 star and above may take a little longer, admittedly, but given the dearth of hotel accommodation in that area and a huge source of possible business in the immediate vicinity (as Edna has already accurately referenced), this proposal makes a whole lot of sense.

You'd be amazed at how much unsupported demand there still is in big cities. Brighton being a prime example. Why do you think brands like the aforementioned Premier Inn and Holiday Inn continued to grow apace, even during the worst economic crisis in living memory.

Thank god we have a clearly wise and ambitious chairman at the helm. Better than a Sainsbury's, no?

I know El Pres will disagree but I think we are now starting to see that TB's funding is not the total write off many believe it is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here