Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The new AMEX sign on the East stand- pics?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
You'd think that a few PV panels integrated into the roof would have been a sensible way forward - although I suppose when the flood lights were on they'd not be generating much!:jester:

When it was being built I actually thought there were some on it, just because the roof looks an odd colour in a certain light.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The hell with American Express (though thanks for the money), what the stadium badly needs is more Albion branding, not more advertising for a credit card company.

Go to (say) Derby & it's unmistakeably their home, giant banners of their players all over the place. Pass the Amex in a flash & you could be forgiven for not really registering whose ground it is. Can't help feeling the club have caved into the sponsors thus far. Have Amex made that a condition or is it a trick the Albion have missed?

I do agree the Club ID appears low key if not almost invisible and very secondary to the prominence of 'Amex', but guess thats what you get with signing away the naming rights - a bit like a first glance at the 'Emirates' looks like an airport terminal from the outside, but when you look closer they have huge images of players etc.

Maybe a stronger Albion ID will be added once the work on the East stand and corners etc are completed, I guess it would be a shame put up some flash imagery if it is about to be surrounded by cranes and scaffolding and could get wet cement splashed all over it.

Pride Park is in the middle of a commercial park within an urban sprawl so no one is going to get too worked up about it (probably enhances it) but at The Amex it could be there is some planning issue ie no illuminated signs visible from the national park, that is limiting our options. Would be great to see a couple of huge neon Club badges each time you drive by on the A27. Probably have to draw the line at a huge HD screen promoting fixtures and events and showing highlights, there would probably be a pile up (RTC to you of course)!

Could be worse, ie having a ground that looks like a branch of Sainsburys. Ooops I forgot, it is a branch of Sainsburys!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I do agree the Club ID appears low key if not almost invisible and very secondary to the prominence of 'Amex', but guess thats what you get with signing away the naming rights - a bit like a first glance at the 'Emirates' looks like an airport terminal from the outside, but when you look closer they have huge images of players etc.

Maybe a stronger Albion ID will be added once the work on the East stand and corners etc are completed, I guess it would be a shame put up some flash imagery if it is about to be surrounded by cranes and scaffolding and could get wet cement splashed all over it.

Pride Park is in the middle of a commercial park within an urban sprawl so no one is going to get too worked up about it (probably enhances it) but at The Amex it could be there is some planning issue ie no illuminated signs visible from the national park, that is limiting our options. Would be great to see a couple of huge neon Club badges each time you drive by on the A27. Probably have to draw the line at a huge HD screen promoting fixtures and events and showing highlights, there would probably be a pile up (RTC to you of course)!

Could be worse, ie having a ground that looks like a branch of Sainsburys. Ooops I forgot, it is a branch of Sainsburys!

Nobody's saying take the Amex livery down though, just that it would be good to have more Albion related branding. It's not as though it would be competing for attention with Amex, it's hardly akin to sticking Visa or Mastercard all around the stand. And in terms of the planning- there's a bloody great stadium there, I can't see that hanging a few more banners up would detract from the environment, or shock residents too much.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I drive past the beautiful Amex twice daily (I still grin from ear to ear every time) and I noticed something was going on on that outer east wall the other morning! Will be passing at about 4.15pm so will try and get a pic if I can

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
could I just remind every one that it is very specificaly, the American Express COMMUNITY stadium and NOT the Brighton & Hove Albion Community Stadim

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
could I just remind every one that it is very specificaly, the American Express COMMUNITY stadium and NOT the Brighton & Hove Albion Community Stadim

Then it's not beyond comprehension that signage could say:

American Express Community Stadium
Home of
BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION FOOTBALL CLUB
Est. 1901​

???

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Owned by Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club. Amex have merely paid to have their name on the side and on the associated branding. So long as the agreed level of Amex branding is on the exterior, then the Albion should be able to do what they bloody like with the rest.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Then it's not beyond comprehension that signage could say:

American Express Community Stadium
Home of
BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION FOOTBALL CLUB
Est. 1901​

???

The font's too small. Who's going to see that!?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Slightly O/T but does anyone know how long they have the naming rights for? Will it become simply "Falmer Stadium" at some point? I know some would prefer that, but the Amex name has stuck in my head now.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
It's quite ridiculous that we still haven't got photo after nearly two days. Surely its not beyond the capabilities of NSC members to have taken a pic with a smart phone from a car - or put a surveillance drone up by now?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I was told recently that the electricity bill for the Amex is £200,000 a month :(

Just did some quick number crunching, and according to that, the average energy consumption of the Amex is over 1.8 Megawatts. I doubt that somehow...

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Slightly O/T but does anyone know how long they have the naming rights for? Will it become simply "Falmer Stadium" at some point? I know some would prefer that, but the Amex name has stuck in my head now.

I think American Express has a 5yr deal, I assume it can be lengthened if needed. But if Amex pull out, then I'm sure plenty of firms will be waiting in the wings. :)

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I think American Express has a 5yr deal, I assume it can be lengthened if needed. But if Amex pull out, then I'm sure plenty of firms will be waiting in the wings. :)

Shame it never had a proper "unsponsored" name first. Will be strange if/when another company takes over and I'm still calling it the Amex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here