Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The must-have albums of 2013

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The Matthew E White has a couple of mentions on here. I thought it it was beautiful, incredible production. Seven tracks, love all seven. However, no one else I know seems to like it, despite me doing my best to spread the word. Any more opinions on what I think is a masterpiece?

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Grande Roses
Black Angels
Wire 'Change Becomes Us'
White Denim 'D'
British Sea Power 'Machineries'
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club 'Specter At The Feast'
Ducktails

All the above are quality. An excellent year already!

Holy google the Black Angels album Indigo Meadow is amazing! Matthew E White - Big Inner is another good un.
Well excited for Ponds new album Hobo Rocket.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Ummm....'Bankrupt' by Phoenix, the new Sigur Ros album and also Daft Punk. They're the only new albums I know of that I'm looking forward to at the moment (I know one has been released but money eh?). There might be others.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Wire 'Change Becomes Us'

Glad someone's mentioned this - another excellent album from the always reliable Wire

Surprised to see so many mentions for Nick Cave, I was rather disappointed with it, thought he was trading on reputation.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Have you heard this, or are you going on probabilities? If the former, what do you think?

As a Deerhunter fan who prefers the chaos of Cryptograms to the occasional brilliance of Halcyon Digest, it is about as good as I could have wished for. Conisice , well crafted, varied songs, a production that doesn't try to hard to take the rough edges off, leading to an authentic sound that it's quite rare to hear these days. It's also blindingly obvious that Bradford/the band have taken a little more time with the songs.

It's not going to win them many new fans I don't think but the ones they already have should be very happy indeed. Seeing them 3 nights in a row at ATP is going to be excellent.

Most importantly, for this band they haven't got stuck in a rut, it still all sounds part of a natural progression.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Glad someone's mentioned this - another excellent album from the always reliable Wire

Surprised to see so many mentions for Nick Cave, I was rather disappointed with it, thought he was trading on reputation.

Wire, another one I forgot! They really are one of the best and most underrated British bands ever and along with Red Barked Tree, this proves that they are still going very strong.

On the Cave album, I'm one who liked it. To be honest, as fun as it was, I'm not sure I could take all the mid life crisis neurosis of the two Grinderman albums & Dig Lazarus Dig all that seriously any more. It was about time he went back to this style for me. Jubilee Street is probably my song of the year (despite bearing a horrible similarity to "Under The Bridge")

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
As a Deerhunter fan who prefers the chaos of Cryptograms to the occasional brilliance of Halcyon Digest, it is about as good as I could have wished for. Conisice , well crafted, varied songs, a production that doesn't try to hard to take the rough edges off, leading to an authentic sound that it's quite rare to hear these days. It's also blindingly obvious that Bradford/the band have taken a little more time with the songs.

It's not going to win them many new fans I don't think but the ones they already have should be very happy indeed. Seeing them 3 nights in a row at ATP is going to be excellent.

Most importantly, for this band they haven't got stuck in a rut, it still all sounds part of a natural progression.

Thanks. I like a mixture of chiming guitars and ambient noise. I love all the other Deerhunter albums, hopefully this will be no different in terms of it being a great listen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
The Horrors have a new album out in May, with them playing some 'experimental' keyboards. Absolutely loved the textures on Skying, so hope the newy is good as well...

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
The Matthew E White has a couple of mentions on here. I thought it it was beautiful, incredible production. Seven tracks, love all seven. However, no one else I know seems to like it, despite me doing my best to spread the word. Any more opinions on what I think is a masterpiece?

Although I said my list was in no particular order this probably nudges "Pale Green Leaves" into second place.
I've played it to some of my friends and they don't seem to get it?
I think it's a beauty and as you said lush production.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here