Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The must-have albums of 2013

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Tout it. Won't get close to selling out and you'll be able to pick one up outside allot cheaper than face. If not then just buy one from the box office.

The after-party looks like it could be amusing for all the wrong reasons. Peter Hook is DJing at the Life Club (wherever that is) and he's hilariously bad at pretending to DJ. I've seen the Youtube clips and I reckon Paris Hilton can fake DJing better than Hooky. Plus he'll be off his face. What's not to like?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
That doesn't answer my question. Do they still sound like a bored Foo Fighters? All double tracked vocals and very, very bland choruses? Puzzle started to lean that way then the album after that was absolutely shitawful.

The majority of tracks on Puzzle and Only Revolutions (imo) sounded and a bit lethargic.
I don't feel Opposites is a 180 degree turn at all. It's a completely new re-working of everything they've done combined, ramped up, mixed around, gargled and spat back out 10,000x.

I promise you, from 45 seconds into Opposites (Different People) you are hooked.

Saw them live again last month. Awesome.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
The after-party looks like it could be amusing for all the wrong reasons. Peter Hook is DJing at the Life Club (wherever that is) and he's hilariously bad at pretending to DJ. I've seen the Youtube clips and I reckon Paris Hilton can fake DJing better than Hooky. Plus he'll be off his face. What's not to like?

Saw that. Thought it was at the Concorde though? Or is that what it is called now?

Sadly I'm out of the country so I won't be able to attend.

Given your previous comments about not being able to make it two days running will you be in attendance IF we've got a play off final the following day??

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
in no particular order

Frightened Rabbit -- Pedestrian Verse
I am Kloot -- Let it all in
Otis Taylor -- My world is gone
British Sea Power -- Machineries of Joy
Stornoway -- Tales from Terra Firma
Rokia Traore -- Beautiful Africa
Nick Cave -- Push the sky away
Bowie -- The next day
Billy Bragg -- Tooth and Nail
Yo la Tengo -- Fade
Marianne Faithfull -- Broken English (reissue)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Saw that. Thought it was at the Concorde though? Or is that what it is called now?

Given your previous comments about not being able to make it two days running will you be in attendance IF we've got a play off final the following day??

I've got the flyer in front of me and it definitely says Life Club, seafront Brighton. I hadn't realised it was the Brighton Centre for the gig though. It's such a horrible venue that I won't be doing the gig (probably) but seriously tempted with the after party - if we get through to the final then I won't sleep the night before anyway!

Does this mean you would miss the final if we got there?

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
My top ten so far. In no order.

Phosphorsescent - Muchacho
The DeSoto Caucus - Offramp Rodeo
John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts
Devendra Banhart - Mala
Daughter - If You Leave
Matthew E White - Big Inner
The Cave Singers - Naomi
Rhye - Woman
Olafur Araulds - For Now I Am Winter
Nick Cave - Push The Sky Away

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Local Natives - Hummingbird.

Wasn't really keen on their earlier material, but this is a much more mature and structured album that's really easy to go back to again and again. Aaron Dessner (guitarist from The National) produced this album and on many of the tracks the influence of The National is quite obvious, which is no bad thing.

As excited as I am about their new one that's due out, The National will have to bring out something rather spectacular to surpass this.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007

Life is down the seafront, down the bottom of the slope that The Tube is on?

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Tout it. Won't get close to selling out and you'll be able to pick one up outside allot cheaper than face. If not then just buy one from the box office.

Cheers , will look into that .

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
The majority of tracks on Puzzle and Only Revolutions (imo) sounded and a bit lethargic.
I don't feel Opposites is a 180 degree turn at all. It's a completely new re-working of everything they've done combined, ramped up, mixed around, gargled and spat back out 10,000x.

I promise you, from 45 seconds into Opposites (Different People) you are hooked.

Saw them live again last month. Awesome.

I agree with pretty much everything in this post, and it is definitely my ALbum of the year so far.

Saw them at the O2 earlier this month and they were simply awesome.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
So far for me;

Atoms for Peace: Amok
Charli XCX: True Romance
Depeche Mode: Delta Machine
How To Destroy Angels: Welcome Oblivion
Hurts: Exile
The Knife: Shaking The Habitual
OMD: English Electric

and loads of excellent albums still to come

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I thought it was OK. Too much filler though, but this always seems to be the case with double albums (apart from Mellon Collie of course).

I'd personally have to emphatically disagree with this. I can honestly say I feel every track is full to the brim and gives something new. There' only 2 filler tracks on there and they're both instrumentals!
Each to their own though.

I agree with pretty much everything in this post, and it is definitely my ALbum of the year so far.

Saw them at the O2 earlier this month and they were simply awesome.

Mon The Biff!
punk:

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I was really enjoying The Besnard Lakes' fourth album 'Until in Excess, Imperceptible UFO', with it's soaring, wall-of-sound guitars, and vocals fluctuating between falsetto (his) and lilting (hers), until I read somewhere that their modus operandi is to record small sections of 'soaring, wall-of-sound guitars', move them around in Pro Tools until they make a whole, then add some lyrics ??? Still, not a bad whole in the end :)

Here's a snippet

Bande Ã* part - dition du 25 avril 2013

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Have had a think about this one and come up with the following.
In no particular order
Mogwai- Les reverants
Clinic- Free Reign 11
British Sea Power- Machineries Of Joy
Parquet Courts- Light Up Gold
Unknown Mortal Orchestra- 2
Yo La Tango- Fade

Still to be released new albums by The Fall and Savages early May.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
kurt-vile-wakin-on-a-pretty-daze-e1360660735803.jpg

The best, most consistent record I've heard this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here