The must-have albums of 2013

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I was really enjoying The Besnard Lakes' fourth album 'Until in Excess, Imperceptible UFO', with it's soaring, wall-of-sound guitars, and vocals fluctuating between falsetto (his) and lilting (hers), until I read somewhere that their modus operandi is to record small sections of 'soaring, wall-of-sound guitars', move them around in Pro Tools until they make a whole, then add some lyrics ??? Still, not a bad whole in the end :)

Here's a snippet

Bande Ã* part - dition du 25 avril 2013

They are playing at The Komedia end of May.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Is the must-have status of these albums enforceable by law?

Edna?

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Grande Roses
Black Angels
Wire 'Change Becomes Us'
White Denim 'D'
British Sea Power 'Machineries'
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club 'Specter At The Feast'
Ducktails

All the above are quality. An excellent year already!

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
They are playing at The Komedia end of May.

27th. May to be precise. Will be touch and go if I make it back after the play-off final at Wembley (hopefully!) on the same day :thumbsup:

Got tickets for The Garage the next day if I'm too f*cked to make it though :)

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Shuggie Otis - 'Wings of Love' [First CD is blues/funk at its best. CD2 veers into 80s naffness, sounding like a Miami Vice soundtrack. Shame really]

I cannot wait until his C2 show (now moved to July), I have always loved Inspiration Information and Freedom Flight they sound truly timeless albums (a must for fans of Prince and/or DJ Shadow). I disagree strongly that CD2 is naff, cherry pick and there are some great tunes on there.

Egon Spengler

Jul 5, 2011
Definite highlights are Kurt Vile, BSP and John Grant but my favourite has to be Low.

I'm really looking forward to Neon Neon and The National.

Matthew E White and Parquet Courts were both great at Audio this year, I really need to check the albums out.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
MBV, Bowie, Deerhunter, Nick Cave, John Grant, Eels, Kurt Vile, Iron and Wine, Flaming Lips, Son Volt, Camper Van Beethoven, The Knife, Crime & The City Solution, Wire, Low, Mark Kozelek.

I'm giving the award so far (for what is the best year in living memory) to Mr Steve Mason.

(that said the new Guided By Voices album should be in stores any day now)

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Have had a think about this one and come up with the following.
In no particular order
Mogwai- Les reverants
Clinic- Free Reign 11
British Sea Power- Machineries Of Joy
Parquet Courts- Light Up Gold
Unknown Mortal Orchestra- 2
Yo La Tango- Fade

Still to be released new albums by The Fall and Savages early May.

there's a new Yo La Tengo album?!!! How the hell did that sneak by me? This year is costing me a small fortune

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
On the border - The Eagles

jemwillett

Feb 17, 2012
Burgess Hill
been a bit quiet so far but like BSP, Campervan Beethoven, Jim James. Am now going to buy the Local Natives and if it is better than first, and has a National twinge, then it must be good. Birthday in May and Amazon wish list jam packed with things I want. Edwyn Collins (playing tonight), Eels, Villagers, Wave Machines, Fossil Collective and Noah and the Whale. feel free. Disappointed with Stornaway. Hated their faux surprise acoustic stuff at Concorde last month.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
More votes for:

Biffy Clyro
Frank Turner
Bastille
Billy Bragg

Theres afew others here I need to have a listen to

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Will give them a listen. Also, All The Young's 2nd albums out later this year which is make or break for them. But IMO a top band. Seen them 3 times in Brighton, and I think they are capable of big things.

Shame about the turn out at their Coalition gig. Decent band, deserved a bigger audience.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Shame about the turn out at their Coalition gig. Decent band, deserved a bigger audience.

Yeah mate. Although Coalition was probably the biggest crowd they've pulled at the 3 gigs I've been too. Green Door Store, March 2012, was probably 50 tops.

Quiet Night In live...WOW.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Most faves already mentioned (Parquet Courts, Low, Kurt Vile, Thee Oh Sees etc). One more that deserves a mention is:

Marnie Stern - The Chronicles of Marnia :clap2:

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
hurts.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports