Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The most beautiful city in the world

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Venice or Paris for me. It strikes me that while we're blessed with great countryside in this country, not so many beautiful cities - London is amazing, but probably not 'beautiful'. Outside of that I'd say Bath, Canterbury, York, Edinburgh and dare I say, St Davids.....

agree with this completely - we have so much great countryside and rolling green hills - but i cant really think of a city i think of as beautiful - i thought bath might be, but actually drove there a few years ago and thought it was decidedly average

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I've raved about this place before but I'll mention it again:

Cesky Krumlov - it's a mini Prague without the stag groups. Absolutely beautiful place.

Otherwise, San Sebastian, Nîmes, Nice, Siena and Ghent would be my contenders.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've raved about this place before but I'll mention it again:

Cesky Krumlov - it's a mini Prague without the stag groups. Absolutely beautiful place.

Otherwise, San Sebastian, Nîmes, Nice, Siena and Ghent would be my contenders.

Seeing your username has reminded me of another of mine. Salzburg. Stunning.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5802233 said:
Another vote for Positano!

Another worthy mention is Cinque Terre, never been myself, but always though it looks stunning.

cinque-terre-291.jpg

les-10-plus-beaux-endroits-dans-le-monde-qui-existent-reellement_3568222-XL.jpg

Been to cinque-terre a couple of times and stunningly beautiful

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
One of the things about cruising is you get to see places you probably wouldn't visit normally....oia on santorini, st johns in the us virgin islands, Kotor in Montenegro, napthlion in Greece, nice in France, Positano on the Amalfi coast, st Maarten in the WI, but also as a lot have said, weekend breaks are great to see places. We loved Barcelona, Venice ( although we have been there 8 times now it is still our favourite city) Valencia, Paris, Stockholm.

Through business I went to philli and Denver and both have a certain something about them....old town philli is great..uptown is gangsterville! And Denver is just a very nice place.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
No question that the aerial view of where Copacabana meets Ipanema beach in front of Sugar loaf mountain looking up at the statue of Christ is unique. Not sure about the rest of the city but it's worth flying into Rio airport just to see that view.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
brighton should be nowhere NEAR this thread, and wouldn't be on one anywhere except on here

look at the seafront....it's dominated by the brighton centre and that other crock of **** next to it. What do you have to the right? Oh, bloody West Street...up the road is churchill square and then Western Road.

All within the immediate centre of the city. Sure, there's some great architecture and the hills give you some nice views....but most beautiful city IN THE WORLD?! no chance

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder ...

I certainly agree that the built environment includes one or two absolute eyesores, and some of the most disappointing modern buildings anywhere in Britain. Mostly this is because any buildings that offend the Regency Society don't get built - for example the original plans for the library had a fantastic wavy glass roof - but Selma Montford objected that it wouldn't fit in with the Regency character of the rest of the city centre, so we got a featureless glass box next to a dull, treeless piazza. Presumably if she'd been around 200 years ago she'd have objected to the Royal Pavilion.

Then there were the Frank Gehry designs for the King Alfred that never happened. I didn't like them much, but I thought they should get the go-ahead because otherwise architects would simply give up on Brighton as a place where you couldn't get anything passed except dreary Regency pastiche. Which is more or less what seems to be happening.

However, this is still a fantastic place to live. The North Laine Photography calendars and books are full of fantastic images of Brighton & Hove that prove as much, and what makes most of those images is the people they depict - a vast range of eccentrics and nutters, only some of whom regularly post on here. Add in the sea, the light, the Downs, the stuff that happens in some of our not-especially-pretty buildings, the anything-goes attitude, and you've got a combination that's pretty difficult to beat.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Croydon - gateway to the south.

Oct 25, 2003
for example the original plans for the library had a fantastic wavy glass roof - but Selma Montford objected that it wouldn't fit in with the Regency character of the rest of the city centre, so we got a featureless glass box next to a dull, treeless piazza. Presumably if she'd been around 200 years ago she'd have objected to the Royal Pavilion.

are there any pictures of the original plans? i'd be interested to compare...i feel like that square had a lot of promise which has been completely unfulfilled

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Vancouver. Lived there for 4 years. In winter, finish work, take the bus, go night skiing . . . five dollars. Go down town, see Chris and Cosey, or John Cale, or Billy Bragg, or The Talking Heads. Walk home - nobody wants to mug me. In summer, cycle to work, play footy in the evening, then swim in the sea. The Luv Affair later. Oh my, what a place.

http://www.katkam.ca/

for example the original plans for the library had a fantastic wavy glass roof - but Selma Montford objected that it wouldn't fit in with the Regency character of the rest of the city centre, so we got a featureless glass box next to a dull, treeless piazza. Presumably if she'd been around 200 years ago she'd have objected to the Royal Pavilion.

are there any pictures of the original plans? i'd be interested to compare...i feel like that square had a lot of promise which has been completely unfulfilled
I agree. The original plans for Brighton Library were superb. The design was done, in house, by East Sussex County Council's Architects Department. I guess there must be a full set of drawings at the Records Office (soon to be The Keep).

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I'm not a big fan of Jaipur. In that region I prefer Jodphur and Udaipur.

If we're talking India.....Udaipur is nice, but you can't beat Varanasi on the banks of the Ganges, but it still wouldn't make my top 50

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here