The most beautiful city in the world

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Depends where you take your pictures in all these cities I would imagine. I could take a set of pics of around Prague that would destroy their tourist industry, but im guessing thats the same for any city. Having said that, whenever my mother visits, she keeps going on about how clean it is...hadnt really noticed myself.
People who think Brighton is a shithole, have clearly not travelled.

I disagree Dave. I've been to 60 countries on every permanently inhabited continent and I do think Brighton might qualify, maybe not as a sh*thole, but definitely as a dump. The first thing I noticed when I moved there in '06 was just how dirty it was. I realize that this is all a matter of perspective, but when one comes from somewhere that is fastidiously clean, Brighton can look dirty and scruffy.

But this is merely my opinion and not intended to sway others.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I disagree Dave. I've been to 60 countries on every permanently inhabited continent and I do think Brighton might qualify, maybe not as a sh*thole, but definitely as a dump. The first thing I noticed when I moved there in '06 was just how dirty it was. I realize that this is all a matter of perspective, but when one comes from somewhere that is fastidiously clean, Brighton can look dirty and scruffy.

But this is merely my opinion and not intended to sway others.

I did mean in the broader sense, shops, restaurants, nightlife, beach etc, rather than cleanliness...like I said, my mother comments on how clean it is here when she visits..

Last edited:

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Havana in the 50's must have been, unfortunately now it's a sh.thole but you can still just about imagine what it looked like. Doesn't say a lot for communism.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
want to visit many of the places mentioned but from where i've been

Cape Town - stunning and like someone said viewed from Robben island at sunset is incredible.
Prague - i visited when it was under a few feet of snow which made it even prettier than it already was

Places i NEED to go to

Rio
Rekijvik...lazy spelling and
Berlin

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Not a City, But Hallstatt in Austria is pretty nice

Attachments

• hallstattview.jpg
    hallstattview.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 74

jemwillett

Feb 17, 2012
Burgess Hill
Durham and Oxford and Cambridge and Brighton here. Paris
and Antwerp and Bergen in Europe. San Francisco and Vancouver and Amritsar further afield.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Durham and Oxford and Cambridge and Brighton here. Paris
and Antwerp and Bergen in Europe. San Francisco and Vancouver and Amritsar further afield.

Amritsar....mm that's interesting. Apart from the Golden Temple which is stunning, I thought it was a shit hole

Following on from Venice in no particular order I would add close behind

Siena, London, Reykjavik, Syracuse (Sicily), Alberobello (Puglia) Cape Town, Canterbury (Kent), Seville, Hoi An, Fez (Morocco), Dubrovnik, Old Havana.

Haven't been yet, but would love to go to Bruges, Budapest, Prague etc

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Travelled pretty far & wide but our fair city gets my vote!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Venice or Paris for me. It strikes me that while we're blessed with great countryside in this country, not so many beautiful cities - London is amazing, but probably not 'beautiful'. Outside of that I'd say Bath, Canterbury, York, Edinburgh and dare I say, St Davids.....

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
More votes here for Venice (the view fromma river taxi as you circle past burano and up the grand canal is the ONLY way to arrive the first time),Rome and Florence (when we went we had the top floor suite in a 3 star hotel next to ponto vecchio).

I really like Bruges too whilst the grand place and other parts of Brussels are surprisingly good. Paris is great when off the beaten track. The jardin de Luxembourg area near st Etienne for example.

I loved barclona but my wife isn't so keen.

I also like Hong Kong when you get up to the peak and even Hyderabad near the charminar has its moments if you can get across the road without being run over by a tuk tuk.

As for towns, ravello and positano on the amalfi coast are really fantastic.

One gem not mentioned here that I can see is alghero in Sardinia. Very Spanish medieval city. Bonifacio in Corsica looks fantastic but the locals let it down a bit.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Vancouver was my fav, the drive up to Whistler was breathtaking. New York for obvious reasons has alot of character, San Fran was very picturesque with the Golden Gate bridge. I know it's not a city but Naples in Florida is also very beautiful. Actually didn't think much of Toronto, Paris or Rome!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Don't really understand how anyone can say London. I think London is the greatest city on the planet, but the most beautiful? Er, no.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Don't really understand how anyone can say London. I think London is the greatest city on the planet, but the most beautiful? Er, no.

Like any thread, it's morphed a bit, from being the most 'beautiful' city to something more rounded like the 'best' city. Some people (perhaps tongue in cheek) have even suggested Brighton - Brighton is many things, but beautiful? Noooo....

Oct 25, 2003
brighton should be nowhere NEAR this thread, and wouldn't be on one anywhere except on here

look at the seafront....it's dominated by the brighton centre and that other crock of **** next to it. What do you have to the right? Oh, bloody West Street...up the road is churchill square and then Western Road.

All within the immediate centre of the city. Sure, there's some great architecture and the hills give you some nice views....but most beautiful city IN THE WORLD?! no chance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports