Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The Mash Report Axed

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
On Alexei Sayle's recent podcast, tabloid favourite Stewart Lee said that there isn't a conspiracy against right wing comedians, its just that to actually be right wing you generally need to lack imagination, empathy and a sense of humour. A cheap one liner perhaps, but still genuinely funnier than the whole of Geoff Northcott's career output.

To be fair, I think that Ian Hislop has a history of being a brilliant 'traditional conservative' satirist, but obviously nothing to do with this current lot of loons ???

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Good, it’s ****ing shit. His funniest moment was when he got booed off stage.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I'm aware of the name but I had to ask Mrs T who he is. She says he's great and she's seen him live, twice. I have seen tiny snippets but haven't been moved to check him out. If his comedy is overtly political I'm unlikely to be engaged;

Give him a go HWT - try a full episode of Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle. Intelligent humour rather than cheap laughs, and not always political with a big P.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Give him a go HWT - try a full episode of Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle. Intelligent humour rather than cheap laughs, and not always political with a big P.

OK. I'll ask Mrs T to tee me up :thumbsup:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Very funny live (seen him many times) but can't watch him on TV I'm afraid.

I guess that's cos he is very funny live.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It never had it's own identity, being a copycat version of an American show.

If you are going to do that sort of anti-establishment humour you need to be a bit more smart else you open the door to accusations of bias.

I found it sometimes like listening to the character Rick from the Young Ones. The sitcom itself being a very clever satire on left wing politics at the time.

I'm actually a huge fan of the very openly left wing comedian Mark Thomas, but he is funniest when pulling the rug from under the feet of fellow activists.

I also think Geoff Norcott is a very very clever (and brave) comedian.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
what holds them back tho', as there's clearly a large, receptive audience?

Ahem.

They're all shit and not funny?

Just a guess, mind. ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To be fair, I think that Ian Hislop has a history of being a brilliant 'traditional conservative' satirist, but obviously nothing to do with this current lot of loons ???

As a longtime Private Eye reader, I adored Auberon Waugh. I remember him on an early radio 5 phone in, commenting to some ranter "well, of course you want to change society, because you want what I have, whereas I don't, becaue I already have what I want". I sniggered. This was pre Blair. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas. This is an immutable fact.

And comedy is shit if it isn't funny, but it isn't funny just because it isn't shit.

If you need your right wing (or left wing) balls fluffed by comedy, I'm afraid you may be doomed to a lifetime of solemn introspection.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If you need your right wing (or left wing) balls fluffed by comedy, I'm afraid you may be doomed to a lifetime of solemn introspection.

I agree, but I do love Mark Thomas, but his take on it is quite unique. Pick up a particular cause, do a bit of activism, do a comedy tour and write a book about it. But he is very clever.

Mark Steel less so, but I did see some very funny performance from him, albeit accidently.

I was wandering around Brixton a few years ago and I found a flyer on the pavement. It was a Iraq War debate hosted in the church with Claire Short and a few others. Out of interest (and that was it) I went along.

There wasn't many of us there, it was a like a village hall meeting and Mark Steel who I vaguely knew was also "on the bill", well sitting at the trestle table at the front with Short.

Unfortunately the audience consisted of a few piss heads, some activists who had come along to debate the privatisation of the Post Office and some 911 conspiracy theorists. Essentially, not many were there to talk about the war.

He handled it very well and very funnily. I'm not a massive fan, but have a bit of time for him after that.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Another Leftie who found it preety predictable and rarely funny.

Mainly because Nish Kumar isn't funny.
The others were reasonably ok, but nothing special.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
What's Lee Hurst up to these days?

*Looks at what Lee Hurst is up to these days*

Never mind.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Glad I'm not the only one who finds Nish about as funny as being covered in honey and trapped in a beehive.

The whole show wasn't half as clever as it thought it was. Trump as an example has long been beyond parody so pointing and laughing at the obvious just falls flat. Trump's racist and tweets shit? Well, that was kind of the point.

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. Writing and presenting nowhere near good enough.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
but, their vast, target audience is shit and not funny :shrug:

is michael mcintyre as right wing as "comedy" can be, these days?

Possibly? I’d never describe him as funny, he’s just not my type. I’m not sure about his material either as I usually switch the TV channel if his smug mug appears.

However, I did I see a documentary about him and his family, maybe it was Who Do You Think You Are? Anyway, he was very honest about his profound love of money, there was maybe some inheritance that he thought he was owed and didn’t get but he was very specific in stating the fact that he is ‘rolling in it’ now. Making money is what he does, comedy (if you can call it that) is just his current way of doing it. And woe betide anyone who gets between him and his money.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Disappointing news after 5 series.

I though Nish Kumar, Rachel Parris and Geoff Norcott were excellent.

There is already a lack of good satire on TV without losing another show.

Not surprised the current Government has been making sure the BBC has a far more right of centre view of the world and the Mash Report was anything but that

The Government appointed Director General in 2020 Tim Davie stood as a councillor for the Conservative Party in Hammersmith in 1993 and 1994 and was deputy chairman of the Hammersmith and Fulham Conservative party in the 1990s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here