[Politics] The Mail Woke List…..

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
if I’d known that the quotation on the next book was from a WOKIE I wouldn’t have helped write it. View attachment 164389
Not only written by, but endorsed by a profusion of wokery. If Widdicombe (Josh, not Anne), Balding (Clare, not the general gammon category), Davies and Brand didn't make the Woke List, I don't know what The Mail is up to. You'll get there once you've punted your profile round ad nauseum for another decade or so.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not only written by, but endorsed by a profusion of wokery. If Widdicombe (Josh, not Anne), Balding (Clare, not the general gammon category), Davies and Brand didn't make the Woke List, I don't know what The Mail is up to. You'll get there once you've punted your profile round ad nauseum for another decade or so.
I'm looking forward to being OUTED as a wokey wokey, then directing the accusers to the articles I have written for...The Daily Mail.

That will cause huge confusion.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I don't bother with newspapers. On Monday I came across that day's DM, so gave it a butchers. The sport was a bit crickety, but it is cricket season. From the front it was packed full of shite with that Hichens weirdo getting a bonus moan about Soviet infiltration into the US nuclear bomb work (because of the film that is out now). I do not recall any news as such. It really is 'spout misery because that's what the readers want'. Easy money.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I don't bother with newspapers. On Monday I came across that day's DM, so gave it a butchers. The sport was a bit crickety, but it is cricket season. From the front it was packed full of shite with that Hichens weirdo getting a bonus moan about Soviet infiltration into the US nuclear bomb work (because of the film that is out now). I do not recall any news as such. It really is 'spout misery because that's what the readers want'. Easy money.

Your point about misery is well made. Why do so many people (almost entirely on the right, it seems) want to HATE so many people? It really must grind them down!!
If only they realised that there’s a much better life out there - they just need a little tolerance and compassion. Instead, they seem to double down by doing stupid things like reading the Daily Mail. It’s almost like an addiction!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
So basically, Laurence Fox has got his knickers in a knot over an image that's a year old.
what I don't get is why a national broadcaster takes Laurence Fox's views as representative of anything, he ran for Mayor and got barely 1%, ran for Uxbridge and got 2%, he has 389k twitter followers which is f-all. Why are national broadcasters platforming people who represent virtually no one?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Interesting thread - and not a lot of surprising stuff - I will have my tuppence worth

We live in what has now becoming known as the Age of Disorder - 50 years ago it would have been termed the Death Agony of Capitalism. Capitalism has inherent contradictions that cycle through boom and slump with the booms getting shorter and the slumps getting longer, deeper and more pronounced. The last 75 years were characterised by the post-war boom - followed by neo-liberalism (Thatcherism) and globalisation - and now retrenchment as the global economy enters a period of pro-longed slow contraction. The global economy is heading for a Japanisation of economic activity (Japan has been in stagnation since a deflationary recession in the mid-1990s) - with China in particular facing severe economic crisis. Couple with economic developments we have the newly emerging cold war between the USA (and the EU) with China (and the Ukraine War is in part a proxy war being fought out in this new cold war).

The hay day for social democracy was the post-war period when massive rebuilding was necessary after the war and the US economy which avoided any destruction during the war was able to pump huge amounts of money into Western Europe to stave off the revolutionary upheavals that occurred after WW1. The demise of social democracy occurred with the crash of 1973 and the rise of neo-liberalism and every single social democratic party globally went through a process of (for want of a better word) Blairisation - an acceptance of globalisation and the dominance of capitalism following the collapse of Stalinism.

Over the past 20-25 years there has been an upsurge of struggle globally as oppressed sections of society have acted to gain their rights - third and fourth wave feminism (and particularly movements for abortion rights and against gender violence) - campaigns for LGBTQ+ rights - anti-racism movements (e.g. BLM) - movements by indigenous populations (e.g. in Brazil, Mexico, Bolivia) - movements demanding action on climate destruction - a refugee crisis caused by war and climate catastrophe etc.

In the middle of all of this the Covid pandemic hit - causing massive political, social and economic upheaval - and leading to massive pressure on society that forced bulges and bursts at the seams. One of the phenomenons of these bulges and bursts was the rapid rise of far-right ideas - ideas that had been held in check by the post-war boom and later globalisation - but now were returning to the surface as capitalism was facing a deepening crisis. The far-right tapped into the chaos caused by Covid, mounting anti-mask, anti-vax, covid denial campaigns that many people fearful of the future were impacted by. At the same time - the far-right, with the support of right-wing political parties, began pushing back against the movements against oppression - Brexit was a symptom of this - but it has been manifest more directly recently in things like attacks on trans people, increase racism and xenophobia, a rise in misogyny (the Andrew Tate phenomenon) etc. The response to this has been a rise in what has become known as intersectionality - which is very dispersed when in the hands of liberals - but which at its root is based in the class nature of capitalist society.

The rise of the far-right globally is developing as a serious threat. It is of a different character of the 1920s and the 1930s (and the Spanish Flu pandemic played a role in the rise of fascism in the inter-war period). The base of support for fascism is among the middle-class layers (in the 1920s small shopkeepers) and among middling to larger farming classes. Both of these sections of society have been dramatically reduced since WW2 (from 30% of the population in the 1930s to 5-10% today). Fascism has also relied on an alienated underclass of society who have been cut off from any levers of economic power (what in the past would have been crudely classified as the lumpen proletariat). Fascist elements still rely on this section of society today - and they exist in every country.

Modern fascist groups promote an eclectic mix of anti-Covid stuff with racism, xenophobia, Islamophobia, misogyny, and Christian fundamentalism (as bad - indeed if not worse - than the Taliban). I haven't seen evidence of a major rise of religious fundamentalism in Britain - but it most definitely a factor in Ireland (and places like USA, Brazil, Poland, Hungary, India, Australia etc). The far-right are targeting some of the most vulnerable sections of society - the trans community, refugees, and women facing crisis pregnancies. They are also targeting the teaching of sex-education in schools (in Ireland they have ben targeting libraries and abusing library staff for stocking books 'promoting transgenderism and paedophilia') - teachers, including me, have been targeted for supporting sex education and trans rights in schools.

The right-wing media and political parties have been promoting this stuff by hyping up the opposition to this type of discrimination and oppression as 'Woke' - which has become a catch phrase for anyone opposing the discriminatory attacks of the far-right. In Britain Suniak has been engaging in a major push against refugees and migrants - specifically targeting the Muslim community (a hang-over of Hindu caste society and Hindu islamophobia) - and remember Suniak is a former banker with Goldman Sachs - like half the prime ministers in Europe. From their perspective - the far-right are a useful tool to push back against movements against oppression (against so-called 'woke culture') as a mechanism of dividing the mass of the population to secure the rule of capital.

The Age of Disorder will grow - capitalism is incapable of working its way out of the current decline it faces (short of another catastrophic world war) - but the whiff of reaction will inevitably produce a reaction against it. While the far-right do get an echo among people in middle age and some of the elderly - the vast majority of young people and those in their 20s are utterly repelled by it and do take to the streets in opposition. In recent times we have seen mass protests in Israel against Netenyahu's attempt to form a bonapartist regime - in France over the new pension law and the racist murder of a young man by the police - in Georgia against the 'foreign agents' law - in Nigeria against the governments economic programme - in Serbia, initiated by a school-shooting, but now targeting corruption of the far-right Vucic government - in Iran following the murder of Mahsa Amini in police custody - in Poland against the death of women facing crisis pregnancies etc.

The rise of the far-right in recent times is the direct responsibility and directly caused by the collapse of the social democratic parties into neo-liberalism (Blairism). It has created a political vacuum that has yet to be filled from the left - and as a result the far-right gain an echo among certain sections of society. While in most countries they are still small in number - they are still a danger (the attack on the refugee hostel in Liverpool - similar stuff has happened in Ireland). The key to pushing back against the far-right and the increasingly right-wing and xenophobic policies of the likes of the Tories - is the trade union movement. They form a coherent collective for working class action - and have the organisational resources to build a movement of opposition to right-wing and far-right policies. The potential is greater in Britain than currently in Ireland - Britain is currently going through a sustained strike wave (there is only one trade union in Ireland - Unite - with a left-wing leadership) - and a mass movement of opposition to the Tories (and later Starmer) could emerge from this strike wave. Corbyn had the opportunity but bottled it by refusing to act against the Blairites in the LP - and if he had any backbone he would now throw the political capital he still has behind Enough is Enough and use it to build a new left party in Britain. However - he probably will show the same spinelessness as he did while LP leader - so the process will be more protracted.

Woke is being used as a term of insult - but the real insult is the attempts to return to the far-right politics of the 1920s and the 1930s (and yes - Churchill was a white supremacist) - and those who are willing to oppose the racism, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia etc of the far-right agitators should be supported by all decent human beings.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
what I don't get is why a national broadcaster takes Laurence Fox's views as representative of anything, he ran for Mayor and got barely 1%, ran for Uxbridge and got 2%, he has 389k twitter followers which is f-all. Why are national broadcasters platforming people who represent virtually no one?
Because he’s famous and weird.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Sorry, how do you relate judging and rewarding immutable characteristics to kleptocracy and how do you involve non binary identity in this?

Genuine question.
I was thinking exactly the same when I read that.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I was thinking exactly the same when I read that.
Sorry, how do you relate judging and rewarding immutable characteristics to kleptocracy and how do you involve non binary identity in this?

Genuine question.

Isn't it obvious? Any attempt to reduce inequality will mean the new elites, non-binary muesli-munching Marxists, will expropriate wealth from the deserving rich. The ignorance on this forum is astounding 🐑

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The meritocracy is working perfectly. We have teachers and nurses choosing between heating and eating and the son of an emerald mine owner funing his own space travel project.

Both totally deserve what they have.

(Please throw me a crumb billionaires! We are on the same side.)

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It truly is the book that never sleeps! Forever WOKE!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports