Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lewes Bonfire Thread

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Yes, but how exactly would that work at Lewes?

btw I'm not arguing either way here. I don't like Lewes on November 5th, there's nothing there for me.

Blocking off the streets and making it ticket only would probably keep some of the riff raff out I reckon...wasn't one part of it ticket only anyhow?

I do agree that they should limit it - but wording it in a way that makes people curious as to why they should stay away is the wrong way of going about it in my opinion. Makes it seem like they actually WANT people to come by saying "nothing to see move along" of course we all want to take a look then!!

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
oh yes. dead jealous.

....and what's the Lewes bit doing in your location then? Do you just help out when their busy?

I work there.

Keep going, I'm enjoying your posts :)

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Blocking off the streets and making it ticket only would probably keep some of the riff raff out I reckon...wasn't one part of it ticket only anyhow?

I do agree that they should limit it - but wording it in a way that makes people curious as to why they should stay away is the wrong way of going about it in my opinion. Makes it seem like they actually WANT people to come by saying "nothing to see move along" of course we all want to take a look then!!

Cliffe's bonfire is ticket only but ironically the actual bonfires at the end is where you have the most room. (well you do now, Cliffe's old site was bloody dangerous!)

The overcrowding is a problem on the street during the processions.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Hang on Lammy. Will you be doing the decent thing and staying away from Royston seeing as you're not local, like?

Or do you get special dispensation seeing as you're such a damn good apologist for the clique?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Hang on Lammy. Will you be doing the decent thing and staying away from Royston seeing as you're not local, like?

Or do you get special dispensation seeing as you're such a damn good apologist for the clique?

Will I be staying away from a fictional place? Err yes.

<factfans>Actually that place was conceeved after a visit to Rottingdean.</factfans>

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This is what Lewes really wants us out of towners out of the way for...I'm onto you!

kluxklan.gif

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Unfortunately, Lewes is full of arty-farty, tree-hugging liberal snobs. "oh come to Lewes and walk up our twee twitterns, browse the countless antique shops and hairdressers in the high street and savour the history"

What a load of bollocks.

I f***ing hate the place but unfortunately i can't afford, or am i prepared to go through the hastle, of moving house. If i could afford it, i'd be living in Burgess Hill like yesterday. But i like my house (read home) and don't want to change it.

The problem comes when all the snobs join up to bonfire societies. They then become the worst type of snob....conceited, cliquey and right up their own arses. They grunt to each other in a way only the members would understand whilst looking down their noses at the "outsiders" who have come to watch.

They create phrases such as "we make the processions late because we can" and [quote Lord B] "we will not tolerate the spectators throwing bangers whilst it's perfectly ok for bonfire members to do so" :bla::bla::bla:

I bring as many "outsiders" into the town as possible on the 5th. We go down and try to catch a glimpse of an early procession......early i presume because it's safer for the kids ( :rolleyes: ) and then we have a few beers at my gaff, a barbeque and watch Commercial square's superb firework display which goes off pretty much to schedule (not an hour late like Cliffe's)

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Unfortunately, Lewes is full of arty-farty, tree-hugging liberal snobs. "oh come to Lewes and walk up our twee twitterns, browse the countless antique shops and hairdressers in the high street and savour the history"

What a load of bollocks.

I f***ing hate the place but unfortunately i can't afford, or am i prepared to go through the hastle, of moving house. If i could afford it, i'd be living in Burgess Hill like yesterday. But i like my house (read home) and don't want to change it.

The problem comes when all the snobs join up to bonfire societies. They then become the worst type of snob....conceited, cliquey and right up their own arses. They grunt to each other in a way only the members would understand whilst looking down their noses at the "outsiders" who have come to watch.

They create phrases such as "we make the processions late because we can" and [quote Lord B] "we will not tolerate the spectators throwing bangers whilst it's perfectly ok for bonfire members to do so" :bla::bla::bla:

I bring as many "outsiders" into the town as possible on the 5th. We go down and try to catch a glimpse of an early procession......early i presume because it's safer for the kids ( :rolleyes: ) and then we have a few beers at my gaff, a barbeque and watch Commercial square's superb firework display which goes off pretty much to schedule (not an hour late like Cliffe's)

Completely agree with all of that except, isn't Burgess Hill a lot cheaper to live in than Lewes?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
People like Guy Fawkes banging on that it is about the tradition and the history. Well yes maybe but it has evoled into a festival/carnival atmosphere for the rest of normal society its a chance for a knees up and a good evening out.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004

What a load of bollocks.

Maybe you should be careful what you say. :eek:

wickerman.jpg

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Completely agree with all of that except, isn't Burgess Hill a lot cheaper to live in than Lewes?

Not that far off Lewes prices to tell you the truth. Uckfield's the same....a nice town with some good fascilities and shops.

Trouble is, we've been in this house for nearly 10 years now and we like it and have done a lot to it....i'm getting too bloody old to start thinking about moving again

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The Firework societies have booked the entertainment early for next years yokel march....Stay away unclean outsiders with your forward thnking, tolerant, rational ways.....
deliverance.JPG

Lewesian Seagull

Jul 13, 2003
Lewes
There seems to be a lot of over reaction on here when all the Bonfire Societies are trying to do is preserve the Fifth for what it is.

Most of our night is spent processing the streets. If the town is completely rammed it makes it a lot more difficult for us to get around.
Hence processions and fireworks get delayed.

The crowd then get fed up with having to stand around for hours in not very comfortable conditions.

In short it's less fun for everybody.

Secondly, Bonfire night is not put on as family entertainment or for those of a nervous disposition! We try to get this point across to people as often as possible and is certainly made very clear on the Lewes Bonfire Council website.

We want to hold on to the tradtions of the Fifth.

Residents of Lewes know what to expect. If it's not to their liking they stay at home or make plans to be elsewhere for the night.

What we don't need is thousands of people pouring into the town who have done little or no research who then moan because they don't like what they see or hear.

One of the reasons the police gave for wanting to clamp down on rookies this year is because "they frighten the crowd". Well sorry, but tough shit. As previously mentioned on this thread, this is our night not the crowds.

There's nothing cliquey or wickerman about it. We just want to continue to hold the Fifth in the manner we believe it should be held.
Having less people in the town just gives us a bit more of a chance of being able to do so.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
There seems to be a lot of over reaction on here when all the Bonfire Societies are trying to do is preserve the Fifth for what it is.

Most of our night is spent processing the streets. If the town is completely rammed it makes it a lot more difficult for us to get around.
Hence processions and fireworks get delayed.

The crowd then get fed up with having to stand around for hours in not very comfortable conditions.

In short it's less fun for everybody.

Secondly, Bonfire night is not put on as family entertainment or for those of a nervous disposition! We try to get this point across to people as often as possible and is certainly made very clear on the Lewes Bonfire Council website.

We want to hold on to the tradtions of the Fifth.

Residents of Lewes know what to expect. If it's not to their liking they stay at home or make plans to be elsewhere for the night.

What we don't need is thousands of people pouring into the town who have done little or no research who then moan because they don't like what they see or hear.

One of the reasons the police gave for wanting to clamp down on rookies this year is because "they frighten the crowd". Well sorry, but tough shit. As previously mentioned on this thread, this is our night not the crowds.

There's nothing cliquey or wickerman about it. We just want to continue to hold the Fifth in the manner we believe it should be held.
Having less people in the town just gives us a bit more of a chance of being able to do so.

So the more people that turn up, the more chance of the whole thing being banned?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here