Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lewes Bonfire Thread

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
There seems to be a lot of over reaction on here when all the Bonfire Societies are trying to do is preserve the Fifth for what it is.

Most of our night is spent processing the streets. If the town is completely rammed it makes it a lot more difficult for us to get around.
Hence processions and fireworks get delayed.

The crowd then get fed up with having to stand around for hours in not very comfortable conditions.

In short it's less fun for everybody.

Secondly, Bonfire night is not put on as family entertainment or for those of a nervous disposition! We try to get this point across to people as often as possible and is certainly made very clear on the Lewes Bonfire Council website.

We want to hold on to the tradtions of the Fifth.

Residents of Lewes know what to expect. If it's not to their liking they stay at home or make plans to be elsewhere for the night.

What we don't need is thousands of people pouring into the town who have done little or no research who then moan because they don't like what they see or hear.

One of the reasons the police gave for wanting to clamp down on rookies this year is because "they frighten the crowd". Well sorry, but tough shit. As previously mentioned on this thread, this is our night not the crowds.

There's nothing cliquey or wickerman about it. We just want to continue to hold the Fifth in the manner we believe it should be held.
Having less people in the town just gives us a bit more of a chance of being able to do so.

Well, to use your parlance...Tough shit. Like I've said before, if you don't want people there don't hold it in the centre of a town, go elsewhere where you will be left in peace. Simple.

Lewesian Seagull

Jul 13, 2003
Lewes
Well, to use your parlance...Tough shit. Like I've said before, if you don't want people there don't hold it in the centre of a town, go elsewhere where you will be left in peace. Simple.

"We just want to continue to hold the Fifth in the manner we believe it should be held."

and that is on the streets of Lewes.

Realistically, I appreciate we will probably never the reduce the size of the crowd.I just don't understand why people can't grasp why it would be better for us if there weren't so many people around.

:thud:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
"We just want to continue to hold the Fifth in the manner we believe it should be held."

Realistically, I appreciate we will probably never the reduce the size of the crowd.I just don't understand why people can't grasp why it would be better for us if there weren't so many people around.

What you don't grasp is the way that you say it attracts more people! Stop being so beligerent about it and you may get more support!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm kind of with the Lewesians here.

It's a procession by (generally) Lewesians for Lewesians in Lewes. It's not as though they actively extended an invitation for everyone to attend. If you want to go along, great but then you kind of have to abide by their rules. If you don't like it (and the procession stuff does leave me a bit bored - the fireworks displays are awseome) then don't go. I'm not going to go any year soon because it's not really my bag. But people's right to moan (and I'm thinking mainly of the students mentioned here) is tempered by the fact that no-one really invited them.

There is an element of cliqueness and Wickerman about this, but then, that's exactly what it's supposed to be.

That's the way I read it anyway.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There seems to be a lot of over reaction on here when all the Bonfire Societies are trying to do is preserve the Fifth for what it is.

Most of our night is spent processing the streets. If the town is completely rammed it makes it a lot more difficult for us to get around.
Hence processions and fireworks get delayed.

The crowd then get fed up with having to stand around for hours in not very comfortable conditions.

In short it's less fun for everybody.

Secondly, Bonfire night is not put on as family entertainment or for those of a nervous disposition! We try to get this point across to people as often as possible and is certainly made very clear on the Lewes Bonfire Council website.

We want to hold on to the tradtions of the Fifth.

Residents of Lewes know what to expect. If it's not to their liking they stay at home or make plans to be elsewhere for the night.

What we don't need is thousands of people pouring into the town who have done little or no research who then moan because they don't like what they see or hear.

One of the reasons the police gave for wanting to clamp down on rookies this year is because "they frighten the crowd". Well sorry, but tough shit. As previously mentioned on this thread, this is our night not the crowds.

There's nothing cliquey or wickerman about it. We just want to continue to hold the Fifth in the manner we believe it should be held.
Having less people in the town just gives us a bit more of a chance of being able to do so.

Some good points there. This has been, for the most part, a very interesting thread even for those of us not directly affected one way or the other.

I've already expressed my views earlier, but think some of the comments comparing some of those involved to the Falmer NIMBYS are pretty ungrateful. Without these people you wouldn't be getting your new stadium.

But back on the real issue, I do think some of the Bonfire mob just don't get or understand the concept of change and evolution.

I'm sure there are people who used to walk over a field or two to Glastonbury before it got really commercial hanker for the old days, but they're gone. Things move on, even if you don't want them to. In this case it's become a massive draw, so clearly the event must adapt.

Just saying 'it's tradition' isn't always enough. Look at foxhunting, didn't save their activity. And who knows, one day you may get a Catholic MP taking offence about the anti-pope aspect of Lewes' big night, and asking for it to be banned.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Some good points there. This has been, for the most part, a very interesting thread even for those of us not directly affected one way or the other.

I've already expressed my views earlier, but think some of the comments comparing some of those involved to the Falmer NIMBYS are pretty ungrateful. Without these people you wouldn't be getting your new stadium.

But back on the real issue, I do think some of the Bonfire mob just don't get or understand the concept of change and evolution.

I'm sure there are people who used to walk over a field or two to Glastonbury before it got really commercial hanker for the old days, but they're gone. Things move on, even if you don't want them to. In this case it's become a massive draw, so clearly the event must adapt.

Just saying 'it's tradition' isn't always enough. Look at foxhunting, didn't save their activity. And who knows, one day you may get a Catholic MP taking offence about the anti-pope aspect of Lewes' big night, and asking for it to be banned.

If there was room it may well have escalated a la Glastonbury. But there isn't so it can't. People seem to think it is a choice thing but it is simple physics. There just isn't enough room for everybody. That's all. Nothing sinister.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

But any town would be better if they're weren't so many people. Unfortunately by holding this event and it being renound as one of the best in Sussex then it will draw a crowd. I personally don't go as I don't like big crowds but you must see that if you hold it in a town you cannot complain when people want to come and see it.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
If there was room it may well have escalated a la Glastonbury. But there isn't so it can't. People seem to think it is a choice thing but it is simple physics. There just isn't enough room for everybody. That's all. Nothing sinister.

See thing is I agree with that and I understand it - but I really think that the way they say it promotes curiosity and more likey a "stuff 'em we'll do what we want" attitude....

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Realistically, I appreciate we will probably never the reduce the size of the crowd.I just don't understand why people can't grasp why it would be better for us if there weren't so many people around

Why don't you just reduce the size of the bonfire societies....get rid of three or four hundred smugglers from each society and the crowds will soon get bored of watching a couple of tudors and a scout band march around the memorial a few times and not bother to return.

PS....i wonder how many people in the processions are "outsiders"

Lewesian Seagull

Jul 13, 2003
Lewes
Why don't you just reduce the size of the bonfire societies....get rid of three or four hundred smugglers from each society and the crowds will soon get bored of watching a couple of tudors and a scout band march around the memorial a few times and not bother to return.

PS....i wonder how many people in the processions are "outsiders"

Good idea, many thanks for your helpful input.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

We had a Catholic Priest who took offence to it, so they created an effigy of him to be burned on the bonfire. But hey, theres nothing offensive about it, honest, its all in the 17th century...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bonfire societies? FFS. Grow up and stop acting like you are the only people who are righteous enough to celebrate the 5th. Just say what it is, a bunch of overgrown children mincing about pretending its historic when all it is is your fetishistic desires to belong to a secret society and throw fireworks. Thats ok, just admit it and we can move on. I think you just get a bit upset when regular folk turn up because it brings it home that all you are actually doing is burning shit and throwing fireworks and you don't have to belong to the f***ing Bilderbergers to do that.

I understand that you want to be children again and that is why Bonfire night is so great 'cos we all get the chance to do that again, just some of us are not so insecure that we have to dress it up as some historical society nonsense, we just have a laugh.

Don't roll shit into little balls and call it anything but shit in little balls!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
We had a Catholic Priest who took offence to it, so they created an effigy of him to be burned on the bonfire. But hey, theres nothing offensive about it, honest, its all in the 17th century...

Actually I think it was a former ANGLICAN vicar of Ringmer; but he was so high church he might of as well have been RC, all lace surpluses and incense. And as for the young acolytes he used to have staying at the vicarage.............

As someone else on here as stated, if you don't like, don't go. I'm an exiled local and whilst I like the idea of the tradition and the perverse attitude of the societies; as an event it kind of leaves me cold. So I just say good luck to 'em, let 'em get on with it and when I was living down there just didn't bother going into town that night. If you aren't a participant I think its worth seeing once every 10-15 years for the experience but not every year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here