Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Legends wall at the Amex

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One of my points Munchkin (and Herr T) old boy without wishing to offend anyone.
But you suggested the entire wall was a box ticking exercise? That’s what I didn’t understand. Are you saying the club stuck a couple of women up there to tick the diversity box?

Personally I think the whole thing is a bit naff.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
For a woman to play 400 games for the Albion they'd have to play for 20 years, as they don't play many games. I'd say 42 appearances would be enough for them to make the legends.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For a woman to play 400 games for the Albion they'd have to play for 20 years, as they don't play many games. I'd say 42 appearances would be enough for them to make the legends.
Vicente is on the wall apparently. He only played 29 times for us.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I thought Zamora was up there.
He is. No one from pre Amex days (I know BZ and a few others were both).
Most of the names have already been mentioned but Ryan is there.
Greer and el Abd??

The tarpaulins do look a bit faded and tired

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
But you suggested the entire wall was a box ticking exercise? That’s what I didn’t understand. Are you saying the club stuck a couple of women up there to tick the diversity box?

Personally I think the whole thing is a bit naff.
Apologies HT, I think the Wall of Fame is an excellent idea, however IMHO putting a couple of the ladies team up there and the expense of others perhaps more deserving did feel like we were going down the diversity route.

Maybe an official Albion Hall of Fame with annual inductees would be the answer?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Apologies HT, I think the Wall of Fame is an excellent idea, however IMHO putting a couple of the ladies team up there and the expense of others perhaps more deserving did feel like we were going down the diversity route.

Maybe an official Albion Hall of Fame with annual inductees would be the answer?
I'm possibly feeling more strongly than usual about this as I'm going to become an uncle for the first time to a little girl later this month, but I'm delighted there's somebody she can look up to up there, as and when I win the argument to take her to a game.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It's an interesting dilemma. And it would be easy to fall into the trap of thinking that it's just a binary position with some accusing the club of social engineering on one side whilst others berate those fans with accusations of bigotry or misogyny on the other. But I'd imagine most probably would probably find themselves somewhere in the middle wanting a solution that works for the majority.

On one hand, it's wrong to compare men's and women's football per se. There are considerably different interest levels and stages of development for both games due to plenty of reasons including financial and historical ones. When Ellen White was closing in on the number of international goals that Rooney scored, certain sectors of the media (I'm looking at you, BBC Sport) couldn't get enough of the prospect with references in a number of articles. Wholly unhelpful and ultimately didn't give White the credit that she deserved as a woman since she was being compared to a man. Where's the emancipation and empowerment there? So ideas can badly backfire even when attempting to redress some situations. Purely considering that, separate Albion men's and women's boards would seem to be the appropriate way forward.

On the other hand, there are clearly practical and numerical reasons why the women can't currently have a separate Legends board. The professional game is still very much in its infancy, and the Albion women's team is a reflection of that. You'd be more likely to find a Legends board at the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea or the truly legendary Doncaster Belles who have a much longer history. Consequently, to have only a couple of names on a separate Albion Women's board at this time could be seen by some as demeaning, although I concede that it could just as easily be seen by others as much more exclusive with fewer names on it.

If names are being combined on a single board, are any long-serving Albion Powerchair players included? What about players from Albion Blind FC who won the National Blind Football League a month ago? https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/3530402/albion-glory-in-national-blind-football-league . If not, why not? Effectively saying that it's either just limited to men's and women's first teams or 'we've got to draw the line somewhere' probably isn't going to send out the right 'Together' optics if it's a combined board.

After consideration, I'd choose the single board for all Albion legends, regardless of squad, for now at least until a few more seasons have elapsed to potentially create enough names for separate boards should the desire be to do so then. Perhaps some greater transparency on how the respective legends are selected and on what criteria might help too.

If we really believe that it's the beautiful game, we should want to equally recognize those who bring its beauty.

Last edited:

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Am I seeing things or is the best captain and penalty taker we have ever had not on that list or even mentioned on this thread?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

But the club is more than just a mens team these days. I agree the men’s team is the main focus but that doesn’t mean other significant strands of the club should be completely ignored. Having a couple of women up there to represent that part of the club seems about right.

I’m not a fan of the wall in its current state but a fall of fame with annual inductees is a good idea.

To level this out maybe a “Judas” wall of shame as well! Quite a few snake in the grass entries from the past year :lolol:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The pics round the back of the West Stand aren’t technically “the hall of fame” -it’s however a list of players that skews heavily to the Amex era an does now seem random and due for an update. (Wasn’t it originally a fan vote ? ) However there are all sorts of other ways ex players and managers and teams are saluted by the club (see the extensive on and off pitch tributes to the cup final team last year, ex players often popping in for a half time chat - Ulloa , and other murals , club ambassadors etc). And it’s right that the women’s team is represented amongst all of that.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
We actually spoke about these last Tuesday on our way into the Players Awards.

Great idea in principle but it seems to have gone a bit awry. There are individuals up there, that you just think ‘Why‘?

No doubt I will get flamed by the usual suspects but no room for Sir Norman Gall or even Steve Piper, but you’ve got Bruno up there nearly a year after his acrimonious exit.

Is it actually a Legends Wall or an exercise in box ticking?

Just out of interest can anyone list the players currently on display?
This big time. Bruno needs to come down and need to change the name of the hospitality suite that still bears his name.

Maybe we could rename some of the toilets after the players we feel have done done us wrong opposition included! :)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I assume then, that despite all the interest and views, nobody actually knows who is currently up there :lolol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
But the club is more than just a mens team these days. I agree the men’s team is the main focus but that doesn’t mean other significant strands of the club should be completely ignored. Having a couple of women up there to represent that part of the club seems about right.

I’m not a fan of the wall in its current state but a fall of fame with annual inductees is a good idea.

To level this out maybe a “Judas” wall of shame as well! Quite a few snake in the grass entries from the past year :lolol:
What like an area where fans can practice ones booing before the game actually starts.
I’m in.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This big time. Bruno needs to come down and need to change the name of the hospitality suite that still bears his name.
Bruno's can be moved to the Judas wall.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Its an augment that will rage on forever as who is classed as a legend or even just 'wall worthy' and that will depend on too many factors.

Its also a changing landscape as whomever scores the winning goal in our first first European final will be a shoe in and will probably be 'more important' than a loyal servant like Michel Kuipers who played 247 times for us and still has the best song.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
The environmentally friendly thing to be would be to remove the tarpaulins and make them into A4 sized bags you can take into the ground, perhaps selling them to raise money for the Albion Foundation (or whatever you call it).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here