Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Legends wall at the Amex

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
When we fist got there, I went round the whole ground, studying the 'stones' stuck into the ground (having paid for a couple) and have since checked out the 'memorial wall' etc over the years, but have realised it's along time since I've been round the back, generally arriving on the Mill Road P&R, into the North and then back out to the bus.

So how many 'Albion legends' do we currently have up and who are they ?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
When we fist got there, I went round the whole ground, studying the 'stones' stuck into the ground (having paid for a couple) and have since checked out the 'memorial wall' etc over the years, but have realised it's along time since I've been round the back, generally arriving on the Mill Road P&R, into the North and then back out to the bus.

So how many 'Albion legends' do we currently have up and who are they ?

Are you talking about the tiles / plaques with fans names on.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
No, the big Tarpaulin things (in old money)
We actually spoke about these last Tuesday on our way into the Players Awards.

Great idea in principle but it seems to have gone a bit awry. There are individuals up there, that you just think ‘Why‘?

No doubt I will get flamed by the usual suspects but no room for Sir Norman Gall or even Steve Piper, but you’ve got Bruno up there nearly a year after his acrimonious exit.

Is it actually a Legends Wall or an exercise in box ticking?

Just out of interest can anyone list the players currently on display?

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Great idea in principle but it seems to have gone a bit array. There are individuals up there, that you just think ‘Why‘?

No doubt I will get flamed by the usual suspects but no room for Sir Norman Gall or even Steve Piper, but you’ve got Bruno up there nearly a year after his acrimonious exit.

I really don't think 'it's an exercise in box ticking' Lenny despite what you may read in your regular feeds about wokes taking over everything :facepalm:

But my post was asking the same question, which is who is actually up there ?

I'd go for a Norman Gall or Kit because of my age, and although they were both Albion legends, it was third division. Mark Lawrenson and Peter Ward are always there but how much did they do for the Albion at the top level ?

As a certain person would say, Discuss :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s a legends wall but just woefully out of date I guess.

Out of interest, what boxes have been ticket? I don’t understand this comment?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Trying to remember now. I know there's a few who are probably a bit dated by now. Some of these are guesses. I think Potter had one but I would assume he is no longer there (so long as Boehly gave us a couple of million for it).

Dunk
Duffy
Lua Lua
Vicente
Foster
Grealish
Ward
Bruno
Calderon?
Knockaert?
G.Smith?
Lawrenson?

I'd say a few of those above, if they're still there, wouldn't necessarily qualify if you had a vote now (Lua Lua?! Duffy?).

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Trying to remember now. I know there's a few who are probably a bit dated by now. Some of these are guesses. I think Potter had one but I would assume he is no longer there (so long as Boehly gave us a couple of million for it).

Dunk
Duffy
Lua Lua
Vicente
Foster
Grealish
Ward
Bruno
Calderon?
Knockaert?
G.Smith?
Lawrenson?

I'd say a few of those above, if they're still there, wouldn't necessarily qualify if you had a vote now (Lua Lua?! Duffy?).
No Tiger?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Dunk
Duffy
Lua Lua
Vicente
Foster
Grealish
Ward
Bruno
Calderon?
Knockaert?
G.Smith?
Lawrenson?

12 ?

Did you count them after a winning game celebrated by a few on the concourse :wink:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I reckon there are about eight, so

Dunk,
Gross,
March,
Hughton,
Norman Gall,
Tommy Cook,
Glenn Murray,
KIt Napier

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Great idea in principle but it seems to have gone a bit array. There are individuals up there, that you just think ‘Why‘?

'or even Steve Piper'? He made only 162 appearances for the Albion, most of which were in the third tier. Yes, he was an important part of the promotion in 77 but hardly a legend. How many tarpaulins do you think the club should have. As for Bruno, I suspect that the vast majority of fans still see him as a legend despite the manner of his exit (he pretty much had no choice as wasn't guaranteed a job by the club).

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Think you’ll find there’s a couple of the ladies team up there now…

42 appearances makes them worthy of a place as one of the clubs legends apparently.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Funny story…

Before the Palace home game last year I understand the club took the precautionary measure of taking down the Dunk picture, aware that with the Palace fans herded that way, post-match, some of them may not be able to resist some vandalism.

Lo and behold, in the wee early hours some Palace fans drove down to the Amex with the aim of defacing the Dunk picture with something very witty.

I’ve heard the security camera footage of them going up and down the wall, repeatedly, trying to find the Dunk picture was very amusing to observe. They seemed to be very, very confused that they couldn’t locate it, bless them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Usual suspects you say? Not me, mate. I'm in full agreement. Harry Wilson would be lovely.

1691352836656.png

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
'or even Steve Piper'? He made only 162 appearances for the Albion, most of which were in the third tier. Yes, he was an important part of the promotion in 77 but hardly a legend. How many tarpaulins do you think the club should have. As for Bruno, I suspect that the vast majority of fans still see him as a legend despite the manner of his exit (he pretty much had no choice as wasn't guaranteed a job by the club).
He was effectively the Lewis Dunk of his generation to a degree, basically one of our own, Brighton born and bred, educated locally, apprentice then pro, he actually played in two promotion seasons.

Obviously I’m biased because we became friends after his career ended and I am looked after him when he sadly passed away on Boxing Day 2017, but I still think he’s very much part of the Albion story.

Should Dave Busby also be up there as the first black player to play for the Albion?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Think you’ll find there’s a couple of the ladies team up there now…

42 appearances makes them worthy of a place as one of the clubs legends apparently.
One of my points Munchkin (and Herr T) old boy without wishing to offend anyone.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He was effectively the Lewis Dunk of his generation to a degree, basically one of our own, Brighton born and bred, educated locally, apprentice then pro, he actually played in two promotion seasons.

Obviously I’m biased because we became friends after his career ended and I am looked after him when he sadly passed away on Boxing Day 2017, but I still think he’s very much part of the Albion story.

Should Dave Busby also be up there as the first black player to play for the Albion?
Like I said he was a valuable member but I don't recall him having the importance to the team as Dunk has (also in the promotion campaigns he was in midfield, Rollings and Cross at the back in 1976/77 and I think Rollings and Lawrenson in 1978/79).

As for the legends, I'd have Charlie Webb (longest serving manager), Tommy Cook (first England cap), Billy Lane (first manager to achieve a promotion), Peter Ward (no need to justify), Alan Mullery (first to lead us the top division) as permanent fixtures. You could add in Zamora and Murray. Then you include the current manager. Everyone else can debate the others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here