Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The LEAST exciting Albion signing ever?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I remember being fairly unenthused by Doug Loft signing up. Little did I know that I'd end up getting a t-shirt made in his honour.

Has to be Billy Painter for me. We were missing one vital piece of the puzzle first season up at the Amex: A 20 goal a season striker. Poyet tried and tried and tried to sign a big name...yet the net result was some useless, lanky streak of piss. We knew he'd be cack as soon as he signed and he certainly didn't let us down in that respect.

Hammond was a real :ffsparr: moment. As was Nathan Jones as assistant manager.

There have been many pointless and terrible signings during my years watching the Albion, but at the very pinnacle (at the time) of our footballing progress, with tiki-taka football mesmerising opponents and winning plaudits in the stands: it was Barndoor Billy that arrived, failed and swiftly departed.

What a ****ing disappointment.

Barndoor Billy has scored against Leeds tonight.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Les Berry! Looked liked a 70s throw back and played like he was 70!
yba2aryr.jpg

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Stant was a disappointingly pointless signing. Just a shit, old, cart horse who had played for about 50 clubs - all in division FOUR at the time he was there.

Graham Pearce? Or is that too harsh.

I'd definitely like to nominate Les Briley too. He was clearly never going to be anything other than a poor man's Clive Walker.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Daniel Webb the 2nd time. We New we were getting a man who struggled to run 10 metres without falling over...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Geoff Pitcher - think we broke the non-league transfer record and paid £50K for him - shocker

Oh and how about Turienzo

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Andrew Crofts both times for me. Terrible signing, terrible player.

LOL, and out comes a whole fishing tackle shop!!

Crofts was one of the players I was most excited about. A great player for Gillingham with a reputation for scoring great goals.

For me it has to be somebody or more probably a nobody who was replacing a great player. Cant think of who though.

I do remember being totally baffled by Doug Loft signing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Geoff Pitcher - think we broke the non-league transfer record and paid £50K for him - shocker

Oh and how about Turienzo

See I don't agree with you there. When we pay a record fee for a non league player, I get EXCITED because I presume he's half decent.

Turns out he wasn't.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
See I don't agree with you there. When we pay a record fee for a non league player, I get EXCITED because I presume he's half decent.

Turns out he wasn't.

We're Barnet not non league anyway, years earlier, when we gave them over £100k each, for Bissett and Codner?

Jimmy Grimble

I remember being fairly unenthused by Doug Loft signing up. Little did I know that I'd end up getting a t-shirt made in his honour.

Has to be Billy Painter for me. We were missing one vital piece of the puzzle first season up at the Amex: A 20 goal a season striker. Poyet tried and tried and tried to sign a big name...yet the net result was some useless, lanky streak of piss. We knew he'd be cack as soon as he signed and he certainly didn't let us down in that respect.

Hammond was a real :ffsparr: moment. As was Nathan Jones as assistant manager.

There have been many pointless and terrible signings during my years watching the Albion, but at the very pinnacle (at the time) of our footballing progress, with tiki-taka football mesmerising opponents and winning plaudits in the stands: it was Barndoor Billy that arrived, failed and swiftly departed.

What a ****ing disappointment.

Paynter is a good shout. I think 'lanky streak of piss' is generous about his physique, though!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Released by Gillingham and recently been on loan at Wrexham the first time we signed him. Then the second time we signed him the memories of his first spell were still vivid in my mind. So on both counts, it was disappointing.

It's actually quite hard to think of players I've been disappointed with on the day they signed. Usually I like to give them a half or maybe even a whole game before deciding I don't like them.

Crofty was rightfully player of the season in his first season with us? Also played v well Saturday!?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Phil Hadland was awful for us in The Ryman League,but then again we signed Albert Jarrett:ffsparr::ffsparr:

Was Jarrett poor for u? Showed lots of potential here but seems to have had 300 clubs since...

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Was Jarrett poor for u? Showed lots of potential here but seems to have had 300 clubs since...
Jarrett came on at Northampton for his debut and received his 1st pass and fell over ,He is seen as the worst league player to play for us .He was signed by Dean [Master tactician]Dullsworth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here