Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The LEAST exciting Albion signing ever?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Phil Stant.... just seemed like a completely pointless signing.

Oh ah Stantonar say Oh ah Stantonar.

I remember a bloke behind me (wore a dear stalker hat ) at Withdean constantly shouting will the real phil stant please stand up in reference to him looking like 'Slim Shady' with his white hair.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What Peruvian wingers we never had any. Assume you mean the Argentines Baz and Battipedi. Of that era Johnny Dixon would be my shout.

Donkey's ago (guessing at late 70's) ... after Peru put in a half decent performance at the World Cup.

Or maybe I'm going mad

No you're not. Just after the 78 world cup when Peru had beaten the jocks. Oblitas was one but can't remember the name of the other. Cubillas was Peru's main man but it wasn't him I think. Bit suspicious that Argentina knew they needed to beat Peru by 4 goals in the quarters to progress and low and behold, they won 6-0!!!

Still, for the purpose of the thread, we didn't actually sign them.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
No you're not. Just after the 78 world cup when Peru had beaten the jocks. Oblitas was one but can't remember the name of the other. Cubillas was Peru's main man but it wasn't him I think. Bit suspicious that Argentina knew they needed to beat Peru by 4 goals in the quarters to progress and low and behold, they won 6-0!!!

Still, for the purpose of the thread, we didn't actually sign them.

Ah OK ... thanks for putting me right. I had it in my head we signed them both, they got homesick and went back 3 or 4 weeks later

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Gotta be Dean Hammond, considering I was waiting to find out which of the TWO of Bobby Zamora and Elliott Bennett it was.

Joe O'Cearuill

Phil Stant (Found this the other day as it goes, wasn't his debut though...)
IMG_9423-1.jpg

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I was actually pretty underwhelmed when we signed Greer actually. Turned out to be a great player for us obviously but at the time I thought some plodder from Gillingham was the last thing we needed

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Peter Ward and Bobby Zamora - what did they ever do for us?
I distinctly remember being on a bus on the way to work and seeing a headline in the mirror that Brighton had signed their first £100,000 player. I was really underwhelmed as I hadn't got a clue who Mark Lawrenson was! Saw him in a pre season friendly soon after against Wolves - felt stupid!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Seb Carole for his third spell and Hammond has to be a decent shout given the kittens people were having about the possibilities.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I remember thinking when we signed Iain Baird that it was the signing of a desperate club that was going down. As it happened, he ended up being an important player for us that season. With all due respect to him and his teammates from that side, it shows how far we've come, looking at the calibre of the players we've got now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here