Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The kamikaze playing out from the back

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Incredible that dunce Southgate is overlooking our CBs. The way they are playing is the envy of the premier league and blowing pundits away and yet he prefers Eric Dier. Insanity.
And his rhyming namesake “slabhead macguire” who isn’t even played half the time

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
If Dunk and Webster were picked for England, I'd seriously worry it would damage their current skills
Especially if he have European matches to play next year, might be worth not even bothering fa cup tbh

scooter1

How soon is now?
It’s great when it works as it can really open the pitch up and create promising attacks, but there’s very little margin for error there, we will give away at least a handful of goals every season doing this. Good to hear De Zerbi is so relentless getting the patterns of play right. I’m starting to relax a bit more watching us play out from the back, but I’m still waiting for the one time it goes wrong and concede.
But we've still not conceded from one of these passages of playing out.
I'm sure a goal will come from it it's inevitable, but as yet I can't recall us conceding

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It is key that the opposition believes they are close to recovering the ball either via interception or tackle. This emboldens them to press with greater numbers and intensity which gives us the space we want when we play through them, which we inevitably do.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Ince and Redknapp were full of praise for Dunk, but the one quality they missed was his reading of the game and snuffing out danger. This is one of the areas he has improved on in the last. Few years - makes up for him not being the quickest defender
Definitely. Was reading something by man united fan who was basically saying he expected Rashfors to torment Dunk with his pace. How many times have we heard that, but it just doesn't really happen. He's literally at the peak of his powers now and the one player I'd worry over an injury to more than any others.

The only players to give him a tough time recently were Mbuemo and Toney. I put Forest down to mental and physical fatigue.

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
It’s great when it works as it can really open the pitch up and create promising attacks, but there’s very little margin for error there, we will give away at least a handful of goals every season doing this. Good to hear De Zerbi is so relentless getting the patterns of play right. I’m starting to relax a bit more watching us play out from the back, but I’m still waiting for the one time it goes wrong and concede.
But I don't think the risk is that high so as to worry needlessly - and maybe the stats might show that...
The difference is that we play expecting possession at the back so nearby team-mates are aware the ball could be lost so are in support, and the goal keeper is prepared.
The panic comes when players loose possession unexpectedly - and Dunk et al have been practicing. Even where De Gea gave it away Mitoma still had much to do.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I can't believe people are actually still saying this nonsense.

If we hoof it up the pitch and give away possession that way, and the opposition come back and score, why is that any different?

"We will concede a goal playing it out from the back one day". So? We concede goals most games, and we score almost all of our goals from playing it out from the back.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
But I don't think the risk is that high so as to worry needlessly - and maybe the stats might show that...
The difference is that we play expecting possession at the back so nearby team-mates are aware the ball could be lost so are in support, and the goal keeper is prepared.
The panic comes when players loose possession unexpectedly - and Dunk et al have been practicing. Even where De Gea gave it away Mitoma still had much to do.
I wonder if there's a number for each team on one of the football analysis/stats sites for "number of goals conceded from losing possession in your own defensive third" or something similar to that? Wolves conceded to us on Saturday doing it (Undav's second).

Presumably things can change as other teams work out ways of breaking up our passing patterns at the back so we'll have to evolve and stay ahead of the others (like everything else) but we seem to be doing ok at the moment.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It's this. The Athletic have hinted it strongly.

Southgate has regular meetings with "senior" players - I'm thinking Kane, Henderson and a few others - that are specifically about squad harmony, ie whose faces "fit", and whose don't.

Lewis Dunk's face doesn't fit. It's the only logical reason at this point, as onfield it's beyond embarrassing how much better he is than pretty much all CBs bar Stones.
The thing is, as annoying as it is for Dunk, there is logic in this. A few of the 'Golden Generation' have said they didn't win anything because a lot of them didn't get on and there were individual cliques in the squad that didn't really talk to each other and didn't like each other. I'd rather a harmonious squad that was slightly lower quality that all got on and would fight for each other than one that was slightly better but weren't a team. If there are issues between Dunk and senior England players then it makes perfect sense why he doesn't get included, as ridiculous as it looks from the outside.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The thing is, as annoying as it is for Dunk, there is logic in this. A few of the 'Golden Generation' have said they didn't win anything because a lot of them didn't get on and there were individual cliques in the squad that didn't really talk to each other and didn't like each other. I'd rather a harmonious squad that was slightly lower quality that all got on and would fight for each other than one that was slightly better but weren't a team. If there are issues between Dunk and senior England players then it makes perfect sense why he doesn't get included, as ridiculous as it looks from the outside.
Yup. Hate it and feel desperately sorry for Dunk but I can understand the idea that it's difficult having too many captain/leader types in one group, and Kane, Maguire, Henderson etc got there first.

A different England manager and I genuinely think he could have 25-30 caps now.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
How can they decide on 'chemistry' if he's only there for one match? How could you not want Dunky on your side?

Rhetorical questions obviously.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
How can they decide on 'chemistry' if he's only there for one match? How could you not want Dunky on your side?

Rhetorical questions obviously.
These players play against each other every week. It's not like Dunk would have turned up to his one cap and everyone thought 'who's this new guy?'

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It is key that the opposition believes they are close to recovering the ball either via interception or tackle. This emboldens them to press with greater numbers and intensity which gives us the space we want when we play through them, which we inevitably do.
I loved that interview. I loved the fact Dunk could look at one example where it looked fine to everyone else, they even picked it to highlight good play but Dunk immediately said 'that shouldn't have happened'. It's a real insight into the coaching that is going on and the intensity of the training. Every single day working on it.

I think this probably leads into why certain players may not break into the team as quickly as people might expect. Unless you are drilled into exactly where you need to be at a certain trigger points in training, you've got no chance of making the XI. When players are ready and breaking in, they are flourishing because they are ready to slot into the system.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Dunk / Redknapp video is fascinating, but consider that Ten Hag will have primed his side to deal with this (Dunk admits he went off-script when pressed by Bruno Fernandes). What we witnessed last night was the proverbial game of chess played by two high class coaches, it was top level Prem football.

It makes me laugh that Todd Boehly appointed Lampard as temporary manager, a bloke singularly incapable of communicating and instilling such tactics into his troops.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Dunk / Redknapp video is fascinating, but consider that Ten Hag will have primed his side to deal with this (Dunk admits he went off-script when pressed by Bruno Fernandes). What we witnessed last night was the proverbial game of chess played by two high class coaches, it was top level Prem football.

It makes me laugh that Todd Boehly appointed Lampard as temporary manager, a bloke singularly incapable of communicating and instilling such tactics into his troops.
Yeah, it was fascinating at times.

United clearly had a tactic to use one forward to immediately block the pass to both Steele and the other centre-back to try and force a forward ball earlier than we'd otherwise choose to make it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here