Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The kamikaze playing out from the back

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
But we haven't given away a handful of goals doing it this season. Agreed we will concede the odd goal giving away possession in a dangerous area but I don't think it's resulted in a single goal yet this season. Perhaps it won't be as many goals as you'd think when you see how risky it appears. I think RDZ took over after ? 6 premier league games so he's been here most of the season.
Quite. The second goal at Forest came from this but that was more down to tiredness than anything else. Cannot think of another one. The rewards from doing it can just be seen in our attacking stats - I think there is one where we are creating more chances (or have a higher average xG) than anyone else in Europe or something like that which is quite extraordinary.

When done exceptionally well, like we do it, it cannot be countered. The opposition cannot throw more attacking players into a press as it plays into our hands. We will have the likes of Man City playing a low block against us soon :)

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
They’d be wasted anyway. No way Southgate could coach the full backs and midfield to play like ours do. Dunk and Webster would be stood there studs on the ball waiting for their England team mates to make themselves available and they’d end up having to hoof it as they’d be no options on.
That's Just it , England did try that the last time out Vs Italy and look what happened !

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's testament to the team and manager that I don't really see it as kamikaze playing out from the back. I'm just used to it and trust the boys that they know what they are doing. In other words, I'm totally cool with it and long may it continue...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But we haven't given away a handful of goals doing it this season. Agreed we will concede the odd goal giving away possession in a dangerous area but I don't think it's resulted in a single goal yet this season. Perhaps it won't be as many goals as you'd think when you see how risky it appears. I think RDZ took over after ? 6 premier league games so he's been here most of the season.
agreed…….we keeping thinking it’s going to happen, but so far it hasn’t. The Risk/Reward is paying off hugely.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
They’d be wasted anyway. No way Southgate could coach the full backs and midfield to play like ours do. Dunk and Webster would be stood there studs on the ball waiting for their England team mates to make themselves available and they’d end up having to hoof it as they’d be no options on.
Exactly this. Southgate is a dinosaur, the game has moved on.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If the forwards were as clear thinking and calm under pressure as the defenders we'd have the title sewn up by now

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's testament to the team and manager that I don't really see it as kamikaze playing out from the back. I'm just used to it and trust the boys that they know what they are doing. In other words, I'm totally cool with it and long may it continue...
I don't pay too much attention to how we play it now, preferring to see what the opposition do.

Yesterday was a prime example.

Utd started copying us, but must have had, at best, a 60% success rate.
Dunk's forehead was about the 6th play of the sequence.
(Unsurprisingly Spurs were worse).

By the second half they'd all but abandoned the practice favouring traditional goal kicks, straight onto Dunks forehead.

As said first thing there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING kamikaze about what we do, it's everyone else.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Though we didn't play our best necessarily yesterday I thought some of that play at the back was as a good as we've seen. Every game you can see the progress and a move closer to what RDZ wants. Gilmour's passing was exquisite.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Much as I love Dunky, I don't think a media career beckons!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Thought last night watching United trying to do the same that they aren't even in the same league as us playing it out from the back.

Maybe Pep was right and we are the best in the world at it?!?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree, but to be fair, no national manager (including far better coaches than Southgate) has anything like the time to coach a defensive unit to play the way we do.

Our defenders are absolutely brilliant at it, and are the reason we tend to control games. The consequence of this is that there is less time to scrutinize their actual defending, because they don't have to do as much.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Allegedly Southgate has allowed a clique mentality in the England camp, so you have to be accepted and fit in on a personal level, not just a playing level. Hence why players like Dier keep getting picked over Dunk
It's this. The Athletic have hinted it strongly.

Southgate has regular meetings with "senior" players - I'm thinking Kane, Henderson and a few others - that are specifically about squad harmony, ie whose faces "fit", and whose don't.

Lewis Dunk's face doesn't fit. It's the only logical reason at this point, as onfield it's beyond embarrassing how much better he is than pretty much all CBs bar Stones.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Ince and Redknapp were full of praise for Dunk, but the one quality they missed was his reading of the game and snuffing out danger. This is one of the areas he has improved on in the last. Few years - makes up for him not being the quickest defender

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here