Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Greatest Guitar Solo. Rock, Pop, Classical or otherwise.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
For me it has to be

Ernie Isley's 2 minute wig out at the end of this:

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Samba Party - Carlos Santana.
Sylvia - Focus
Mouldy Old Dough - Lt Pigeon, the honky tonk piano playing, I know it's not guitar playing but any instrument played well should get mentioned.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Private Investigations - Dire Straits
The Division Bell - Pink Floyd, classical and electric.
I was only joking - Rod Stewart, long riff with classical, mandolin and electric in succession.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
The two greatest guitar solos I've seen live have been Lindsey Buckingham doing I'm So Afraid and Nils Lofgren doing Prove It All Night

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
Ah well, this is a subject that can cause me much vexation, probably because the question is interpreted mostly as 'what is your favourite guitar solo' not what is the 'greatest'. And even then what does greatest mean? Impact globally, emotional resonance for the individual, technical proficiency? On the global front Eddie Van Halen's Beat It solo is right up there, so is George Benson's on Easy. And what about Jeff Beck on High Ho Silver Lining? Or George Harrison on 'While my Guitar Gently Weeps'. As for technical proficiency well you would have to go a long, long way to best Yngwie Malmsteen on Krakatau (2mins 40 in); but this doesn't get to the heart of the matter. For me it is about expression and emotional linkage to the song at hand, and there is no better at this than Steve Rothery: Kayleigh, Lavender, Easter, Blind Curve et al. Running him a close second for me is Mr Gilmour and my preferred version of Comfortably Numb is Delicate Sound of Thunder's for the higher octave push at the end. I also absolutely love Sultans of Swing on Alchemy, but this slightly falls into the technical camp of idolisation.

So, there are two Steve Rothery solos that really get me every time. One is Fantastic Place, but as this was presumably double tracked on the album and doesn't quite get there live, I will have to go for this, Sugar Mice at Loreley Festival:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b4Zc0icktU

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
The Allman brothers had plenty of great solos just listen to the whole Live at the Filmore Album, the Jessica solo is actually Dickie Betts who came in after Duane died.

Just heard the full length version of Thin Lizzy's version of "Whiskey In The Jar" on Radio 2 (did you seriously think I was going to say Heart?). The recording is well over 40 years old but Eric Bell's guitar solo still does it for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here