Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Greatest Guitar Solo. Rock, Pop, Classical or otherwise.

niknokseagull

Give us a biscuit
Oct 8, 2003
London
Respect to Nitram re: 'Stranglehold'. One of the best ever, even if the man himself is a complete bell end these days.
Nugent that is. Not Nitram.

In the hope of offering a couple of worthy contributions (and having been a died in the wool 'metal head' for the last 30+ years, I hope I might be considered worthy of having an informed perspective on the topic. Done my time and suffered the good (e.g Vai, Moody, Schenker, Hammet, Murray/Smith, Mustaine, Young, etc), the bad (early G.Warrior, Mantas, etc) and the ugly (er.... Mantas again), I give you ....

1. Public Image Ltd and 'Ease' from 'Album'. In the last two minutes, Stevie Vai delivers the greatest solo of his career.
2. Ritchie B and 'Stargazer'. Probably his and Ronnie's finest moments. It sounds messy and disjointed in places as only Blackmore could play it, but it has everything. And then some.

A sonic cathedral of sound. Man.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I said this the last time there was a similar thread so I'll say it again, Tony Peluso's solo on "Goodbye to Love".

Good call, I love that as well.
When we play Baker Street everyone loves the sax bit, but there is a great guitar bit about 2/3rds of the way in and our guitarist nails it.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Respect to Nitram re: 'Stranglehold'. One of the best ever, even if the man himself is a complete bell end these days.
Nugent that is. Not Nitram.

In the hope of offering a couple of worthy contributions (and having been a died in the wool 'metal head' for the last 30+ years, I hope I might be considered worthy of having an informed perspective on the topic. Done my time and suffered the good (e.g Vai, Moody, Schenker, Hammet, Murray/Smith, Mustaine, Young, etc), the bad (early G.Warrior, Mantas, etc) and the ugly (er.... Mantas again), I give you ....

1. Public Image Ltd and 'Ease' from 'Album'. In the last two minutes, Stevie Vai delivers the greatest solo of his career.
2. Ritchie B and 'Stargazer'. Probably his and Ronnie's finest moments. It sounds messy and disjointed in places as only Blackmore could play it, but it has everything. And then some.

A sonic cathedral of sound. Man.

That sir, is a very good shout:

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I've never grown tired of this solo...although it should never have been faded and cut...

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
If you include bass guitar and it being performed live I'd have to say The Stone Roses Fools Gold. Saw them do that live Summer 2012 and at 15 minutes long i think it was too short. Frankly I could have stood there all night listening to it without a single utterance from Ian Brown and his vocals were actually good that day.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I love different solos at different times, and with different moods.....today im hammering this...
Ernest Ranglin is a guitarist you will hear on many of the old reggae tunes.....comes originally from a Paris Jazz background back in the serious day...may not be his greatest, but for me tonight it is... ;-)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tom Morello has to be one of the greatest guitar players ever, watch him and Bruce do it live on the recent Australian tour.
His finger work is unbelievable.
[yt]SNbbzV2h8lk[/yt]

I have now watched this a number of times today. That 2nd solo is just out of this world mental. Folks, advance to 5 mins 20 seconds and tell me how good it is.

I have now watched this a number of times today. That 2nd solo is just out of this world mental. Folks, advance to 5 mins 20 seconds and tell me how good it is.

Agree, it is rather splendid and fits the song so well. Two questions:- did Little Stephen had the night off and what is Nils Lofgren wearing on his head? Mr Lofgren once played at Burgess Hill Martlets Hall on a solo tour not very long after I saw him with the E-Street Band at Earl's Court in the early '00's - bit of a contrast in venues.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

There are quite a few versions of this on youtube from Bruce's tour of Australia and South Africa.
Tom did the whole Southern hemisphere tour as part of The E-Street Band because Steve missed that leg of the tour I think

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Really? I thought it was a few years back that he lived in Brighton area and that he had since moved. Imagine a few years back the fantasy of wandering into a Brighton pub to see Schenker and Gary Moore playing.

My fave Schenker moment is his live performance at Reading rock festival in the early 80s with the standout track being Lost Horizons.

Choosing an all time fave solo is just too subjective and lead by your musical tastes and whether you go for 'feel' or 'technique'. If its technique you have to go with the likes of Malmsteen, Van or Satriani. For soul I loved Gary Moore, for sheer riffdom its got to be Hetfield and as for great teamwork it has to be Murray/Smith/Gers from Maiden and Gorham and Robertson from Lizzy.
Yes it was end of last year i saw him a few times so guessing he still lives down here or has a house in the area.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Call me Mr Picky but Mr Morello should be disqualified from this competition because his guitar is slung way too high for a genuine guitar hero. That's nearly jazz funk high!!!! And what's with not snipping the surplus strings sprouting from headstock tuners?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If you can forget it's the Top Gear theme I give you Duane Allman
[yt]WfM6nRVBvGs[/yt]

Then there's
[yt]JInAxnjBfGk[/yt]

Credit where its due, although I can't stand MJ, Eddie van Halen's solo at 3:10 is marvellous
[yt]oRdxUFDoQe0[/yt]

And you can't leave out Johnny Winter
[yt]d1E1EH6bXfA[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here