Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Greatest Guitar Solo. Rock, Pop, Classical or otherwise.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
The soloing on the recent "High Hopes" version of Sprinsteen's Ghost of Tom Joad is pretty out there. I have also always liked Graham Coxon's solo on This Is A Low. The latter proves you don't always have to be technically great; imagination can work.

Tom Morello has to be one of the greatest guitar players ever, watch him and Bruce do it live on the recent Australian tour.
His finger work is unbelievable.
[yt]SNbbzV2h8lk[/yt]

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Great, great call US, i haven't heard that since my early teens. If the criteria is heavy rock I can't think of anything better, although as a big Rush fan I love La Villa Strangiato.

I love Guitar solo's and in 35 years have never heard anything close to this for musicianship and technical brilliance.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Dire Straits sultans of swing i love the guitar solo at the end never tire of hearing it and Hendrix hey joe

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Don't Forget Me

So much emotion and feeling from THREE NOTES. John wins.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Open air concert full volume - it must be amazing to a) Be able to play guitar this well and b) Be able to play live this live.

Last edited:

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tom Morello has to be one of the greatest guitar players ever, watch him and Bruce do it live on the recent Australian tour.
His finger work is unbelievable.
[yt]SNbbzV2h8lk[/yt]

Bloody hell. Wow. Not seen that before. Thanks; that was amazing.

tommyseagull

Jan 11, 2012
Like said earlier, pink floyd comfortably numb.
Also lynard skynard free bird and I love the metallica - one solo

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Not exactly rock, but have you heard this bloke? Particularly from 5:00 to 5:30

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Funny you saying Michael Schenker. This was the first thing to come into my head when i saw the title of this thread,
Michael Schenker Armed and Ready https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl1hXq83-D0
He lives local I've seen him a few times around town and spoken to him a couple of times.

Really? I thought it was a few years back that he lived in Brighton area and that he had since moved. Imagine a few years back the fantasy of wandering into a Brighton pub to see Schenker and Gary Moore playing.

My fave Schenker moment is his live performance at Reading rock festival in the early 80s with the standout track being Lost Horizons.

Choosing an all time fave solo is just too subjective and lead by your musical tastes and whether you go for 'feel' or 'technique'. If its technique you have to go with the likes of Malmsteen, Van or Satriani. For soul I loved Gary Moore, for sheer riffdom its got to be Hetfield and as for great teamwork it has to be Murray/Smith/Gers from Maiden and Gorham and Robertson from Lizzy.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Rather partial to this

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Eruption . Van Halen

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Stairway to heaven Led Zep

[yt]BcL---4xQYA[/yt]

Anything by Jimi Hendrix Stars and Stripes at Woodstock will do but could be all along the watchtower

[yt]iMKYms6EOiA[/yt]

Ted Nugent Stranglehold
[yt]0c3d7QgZr7g[/yt]

Deep Purple Highway star live (made in Japan)
[yt]u6-0hL3wtv8[/yt]

One of these days
[yt]BvndA7tfvz8[/yt]

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd - Pulse [Disc 2]

I'll see that, and raise you the version from the Live8 gig. I don't know if it's just the emotion of seeing them all back together, but whenever i hear that version I have goosebumps.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here