Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Great Day Is Almost Upon Us - All Hail Andy Murray!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
There's a veritable pot of gold waiting for the first Brit family to hothouse their kid to be good at tennis. British public are GAGGING for a British Wimbledon winner. Would make that person rich as Lewis Hamilton. Never going to happen tho. They don't want it enough.

I thought it was quite telling that Baltacha cried after winning her first match. That is obviously the height of her expectations. I know she's had injuries, but she won't go far with ambition like that.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
well i thought murray looked good, but the game was made by santoro who played some great shots.

def agree with a previous post that gasquet is the one to look out for . if anyone saw the roddick vs gasquet match last year (or was it the year before) they would have imo have seen the best display of grass court tennis ever. even roddick looked at his coach and said he couldnt do anything about it

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Ding! Ding! Round TWO!

Bring it on. Hopefully will be an interesting day. Murray/Malisse could be a good game. Interesting to see what Chris Eton does - watched him the other evening and he has a very good serve for no. 661 in the world, not very mobile though.

Keothavong might get a few games but will get blown away by Venus power.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
"Five-year plans have come and gone with monotonous regularity without any significant change. Tennis is a recreational sport in Britain, where old farts play endless doubles and do their level best to keep the youngsters away. This is changing, although nobody can be the least sure if it will make any difference. For a decade Henman and the imported Rusedski papered over the cracks. Those cracks have now become a chasm, with Andy Murray the only singles player, man or woman, in the top 100."

This will not change at club tennis for many years to come. The club where I am a member use to be one of the above but things are now chaning with a very strong junior section (we have two of the best under 10's in the county). The problem is the are only about two members aged between 20 and 40 so god knows what going to happen to the club in 10/15 years time.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A fine performance from Murray, albeit a needless blip in between the first and third set.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

This will not change at club tennis for many years to come. The club where I am a member use to be one of the above but things are now chaning with a very strong junior section (we have two of the best under 10's in the county). The problem is the are only about two members aged between 20 and 40 so god knows what going to happen to the club in 10/15 years time.

I think we are going to struggle to produce multiple top sports personalities now that priorities have changed and sports facilities have declined steadily.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sadly it ain't gonna be the Murray's this year.
After watching him and his potential 4th round opponent Gasquet today, I can't see Murray winning, I can't even see him taking it to 5 sets.

I've said it before, so I'll say it again!.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nothing personal I was just that much more impressed with Gasquet.

I know he relaxed a little too early today, but I think that's more to do with familiarity than lacking ability. (Gas not Mur)
Personally I wouldn't worry too much though, as I can give US a run for his money, when it comes to tipping.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And just for the hell of it.

6-4, 6-7, 6-1, 6-4.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Played pretty well today, although it seemed that the BBC's coverage consisted of less tennis and more shameless fawning over the so-called celebrity guest list.

Does anybody care what Terry Wogan thinks of the tournament?

Sue Barker must be the most grovelling suck-up on TV.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Murray's looking relaxed and playing some outrageously confident stuff. Tho he remains stupidly prone to sicknoteness - just before today's game he managed to give himself a whack on the knee with his racquet that had him bent double and wincing. Let's just hope, nay PRAY, he doesn't try to run with scissors in his hands over the weekend :lol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Played some good stuff today.

How thick are the other commentators to keep asking Henman why the crowd aren't as behind Murray as they were Henman?

A Scotsman who's made it clear what he thinks of the English is gonna have to get into the1/4 at least before the mostly English crowd (I assume) let themselves get carried away supporting him.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Nothing personal I was just that much more impressed with Gasquet.

I know he relaxed a little too early today, but I think that's more to do with familiarity than lacking ability. (Gas not Mur)
Personally I wouldn't worry too much though, as I can give US a run for his money, when it comes to tipping.

He is going to have to be at the top of his game, that is for sure. On paper it should be a bit of a cracker, but you never know.

Played pretty well today, although it seemed that the BBC's coverage consisted of less tennis and more shameless fawning over the so-called celebrity guest list.

Does anybody care what Terry Wogan thinks of the tournament?

Sue Barker must be the most grovelling suck-up on TV.

Could not agree more. The text section on the BBC seems to focus more on WHO is there rather than the actual tennis. Why are we, as a nation, so bloody obsessed with the whole celebre rubbish? I would much rather they interviewed someone that knows about the game rather than a z-lister who got a freebie from their agent.

Don't get me started on those crappy magazines such as Hello, OK! and the not so upmarket mags with some nobody telling all about their drugs shame and plugging a book. Not to mention the general ribbing of women who are deemed to be 'overweight', despite various articles such as 'my anorexia hell' etc. The sort of trashy rubbish for the brain dead that plagued my student house for almost three solid years. :angry:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...I was hoping that his missus would turn round to the girl sat behind her and say "My boy just spanked your Haas!"...in the words of Bruce Forsyth...good game, good game!!!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Should have won in straight sets though, he'll have to sharpen up against the big boys.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here