Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Great Day Is Almost Upon Us - All Hail Andy Murray!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Shall we do a physio sweepstake?

I reckon he will need his physio at LEAST 4 times in 2 hours
I reckon he'll be taken to a 5th set in round 2 by some no-mark I've never heard of, and then he'll limp off with some feeble "injury" and blame it on that.

Out by Thursday. :thumbsup:

Edit: today's injury will be his BIG TOE.

Jimmy Grimble

Sit down, if you hate Murray:clap:

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I think he will retire when his BOTTLE goes.

I can't stand Kevin the jock teenager Murray. Objectionable git who is about as likeable as a trip to the dentist for 5 fillings followed by an enema.

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Break a leg, Andy:clap:

I'm hoping for a 3-set thrashing by the French no-hoper today, and 'Murray-mania' to last little more than an hour. Fabrice Santoro, I may have never heard of you, but for today I'm with you all the way!

A 35 year old former top 20 player who has been on the tour a million years. Be frustrating for Murray if he loses.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Listening to numerous pundits, Murray will play Nadal in the quarters.

Having just watched Gasquet look immense against Mardi Fish, I predict (with all the certainty of Uncle S) that Murray will lose to Gasquet the round before the quarters and Gasquet v Nadal will be the 'match of the tournament'.

You heard it here first, get on it large.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I know for a FACT that he'll retire with a limp wrist.

I do believe you're getting him confused with 'Tiger' Tim there, who has pathetically wasted no time in retiring to the massed ranks of BBC commentator losers who talk a REALLY good game about what people worth ten of them are doing wrong. Next stop Question Of Sport and opening fetes :lol:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I do believe you're getting him confused with 'Tiger' Tim there, who has pathetically wasted no time in retiring to the massed ranks of BBC commentator losers who talk a REALLY good game about what people worth ten of them are doing wrong. Next stop Question Of Sport and opening fetes :lol:

Erm...That is 'Tiger' Tim OBE, former World number 4, who practically carried British tennis for over a decade and was one of the reasons that Andy Murray (self-confessed) got into the game. Four quarter finals and four semi finals at Wimbledon over a period of 9 years would suggest he deserves a bit more credit than you are willing to give him.

Not bad for a man that suffered from a bone disease in his early teens.

Besides, he was a tiger. He was the first ever player to be disqualified from Wimbledon...........

......when he hit a ball girl on the head with a tennis ball. :salute:

Anyway, I cracking display from the battling Brit. Onwards and upwards!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why exactly are they arseholes? Do you see yourself as some sort of working class hero?

Nope. just think that Wimbledon should have MORE home-grown working class heros. Or even just the one. Take Shrek for instance. A total idiot-savant, like Gazza before him, who's brain's wired up to kick a football. He might potentially be the best tennis player the world has ever seen, but you can bet good money he's never held a tennis racquet in his life. Or if he played tennis at school it was probably thirty a side across the net like the rest of us. And if somehow his mum and dad had been able to shell out for tennis lessons at a club, he'd have been expelled for farting or shagging the senior women's champion or something. You KNOW he would :lol:

So tennis clubs remain the last bastion of middle-England sporting mediocrity. Fact.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think the LTA is reacting slowly to this. The trouble is, tennis is and will always be a minor sport. Football stands at a great advantage over most sports as it can be played anywhere and it is the biggest sport in Britain. Not a single state school in Brighton and Hove has a grass cricket strip.

I agree with your musings overall, but didn't really see why they were discarded as being arseholes.

Steve Bierley of the Guardian says it how it is/was (I think Keothevang is now in the top 100!)...

"Five-year plans have come and gone with monotonous regularity without any significant change. Tennis is a recreational sport in Britain, where old farts play endless doubles and do their level best to keep the youngsters away. This is changing, although nobody can be the least sure if it will make any difference. For a decade Henman and the imported Rusedski papered over the cracks. Those cracks have now become a chasm, with Andy Murray the only singles player, man or woman, in the top 100."

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think the LTA is reacting slowly to this. The trouble is, tennis is and will always be a minor sport. Football stands at a great advantage over most sports as it can be played anywhere and it is the biggest sport in Britain. Not a single state school in Brighton and Hove has a grass cricket strip.

I agree with your musings overall, but didn't really see why they were discarded as being arseholes.

Steve Bierley of the Guardian says it how it is/was (I think Keothevang is now in the top 100!)...

"Five-year plans have come and gone with monotonous regularity without any significant change. Tennis is a recreational sport in Britain, where old farts play endless doubles and do their level best to keep the youngsters away. This is changing, although nobody can be the least sure if it will make any difference. For a decade Henman and the imported Rusedski papered over the cracks. Those cracks have now become a chasm, with Andy Murray the only singles player, man or woman, in the top 100."

There's a veritable pot of gold waiting for the first Brit family to hothouse their kid to be good at tennis. British public are GAGGING for a British Wimbledon winner. Would make that person rich as Lewis Hamilton. Never going to happen tho. They don't want it enough.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Singular sports require a LOT of training, hard work and time. Are we are lacking something, a national mindset?

A good friend of mine was an exceptional squash player and was a Sussex player, verging on England squad. But at 14, he did not want to spend 4 hours a day training and playing. Whilst being only one person out of 1,000s, perhaps we are also lacking the dedication to make it. There are very few British athletes that rule the world.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sadly it ain't gonna be the Murray's this year.
After watching him and his potential 4th round opponent Gasquet today, I can't see Murray winning, I can't even see him taking it to 5 sets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here