Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Great Day Is Almost Upon Us - All Hail Andy Murray!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Makes me 'reluctant', meaning I do but not fully. When Scotland play I do want to see them do well, but in this particular case (Murray) I don't like him as a person so that confirms it for me.

I realised that. I was just debating for the sake of debating. Plus you seem quite easy to draw into a debate. Actually, you annoy me a bit or at least your opinions do. :D

I will always support the home nations unless they come up against England, but then I am half Welsh, so perhaps my English pride has been watered down by my Welsh sub-concious. We are more alike that we will admit.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think someone's on a wind up now:lolol:

Obviously, I can't be interested in EVERYTHING. If I enjoyed the Olympics then I'd want the English to do well, but as I don't it's hard to. In much the same way, I suppose, as I don't follow rugby. I mean I hope England win, but I can't say I ever spend time supporting them.

I am not very tired, so I thought I would pass the time with a healthy debate.

Also in the news...

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Hugging benefits fractious chimps :jester:

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
I realised that. I was just debating for the sake of debating. Plus you seem quite easy to draw into a debate. Actually, you annoy me a bit or at least your opinions do. :D

I will always support the home nations unless they come up against England, but then I am half Welsh, so perhaps my English pride has been watered down by my Welsh sub-concious. We are more alike that we will admit.

Nice edit at the end there, that would be more correct. Glad I can be of some help.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I suppose at least Scotland have the satisfaction of knowing their hatred is mutual. It must be shit being Wales. You hate England but they just don't give a shit back:lolol:

:lol: Yet we go hand in hand on the cricket field. We are possibly one of the most bizarre regions in the whole of the world. How is it that many many countries have managed to split, yet we still operate under the guise of Britain? Perhaps we are more tolerant. Hell, even Cornwall tried to make a break for it, but nothing ever happens.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I was a bit surprised with the headline 'Murray loses' on GMTV this morning. From that headline it makes him look about as successful as the English soccerball team. Fact is, he is Runner up in a Grand-Slam and is still at the start of his career.

Good work Andy!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Good work Fed :clap2:

Some people on here are pathetic. Murray gets to the final by beating Nadal and loses to Federer, partly due to scheduling as he had a day less to prepare. Yet you think you have a victory in your sad little life. He had a fantastic tournament but you enjoy your pathetic victory for now because this week proved he will win a Grand Slam.

Britain is on the verge of its first male Grand Slam winner for 70 odd years and I couldn't care less which country he is from or his personality. Henman was criticised for being too boring (probably by people like you) and now Murray is arrogant because he has an edge to him. These sports stars can't win.

Some people on here are pathetic. Murray gets to the final by beating Nadal and loses to Federer, partly due to scheduling as he had a day less to prepare. Yet you think you have a victory in your sad little life. He had a fantastic tournament but you enjoy your pathetic victory for now because this week proved he will win a Grand Slam.

Britain is on the verge of its first male Grand Slam winner for 70 odd years and I couldn't care less which country he is from or his personality. Henman was criticised for being too boring (probably by people like you) and now Murray is arrogant because he has an edge to him. These sports stars can't win.

Why sad and pathetic?
People have a choice who they root for, and if they choose anyone who plays against a Scot, surely that's up to them ( :clap2: )

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
did anyone hear 5live this morning. Henman was interviewd and related the story about Murray's "supoposed" anti english tirade.

Henman, Murray and a journo were having lunch and Hen and the journo were having some banter about Scotland not getting to the World Cup finals and all three were having a laugh..nothing more. Murray was asked who he would support in the WC...." anyone who is playing England" he said, in a joking manner. Someone must have overheard this and it hit the national papers as him beimng anti- English.

The Equador/paraguay shirt comment was a total fabrication by the Sun who it appears apologised to Murray afterwards when his mother complained that it was a total lie.

The moral of the story......

Always believe what is written in the Sun..its the truth you know

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Why sad and pathetic?
People have a choice who they root for, and if they choose anyone who plays against a Scot, surely that's up to them ( :clap2: )

In tennis he plays for Great Britain. He represents Great Britain. On that basis I take it you were supporting anyone who cycled against Chris Hoy in the Olympics as he is Scottish.

It is not the support of Federer that is pathetic, it is that this thread was started as a way to support a British tennis player and is taken over by anti Murray comments. If you don't like Murray's arrogance, have you seen Federer as he is the extremely arrogant. I cannot believe that people won't support Murray even now.

I know people use the Paraguay shirt and him supporting anyone but England but it sounds like that is a lie so what is your excuse now?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
As much as Federer seems like an inoffensive/nice bloke, having your own line of monogrammed cardigans is just...well...wrong!

In tennis he plays for Great Britain. He represents Great Britain. On that basis I take it you were supporting anyone who cycled against Chris Hoy in the Olympics as he is Scottish.

It is not the support of Federer that is pathetic, it is that this thread was started as a way to support a British tennis player and is taken over by anti Murray comments. If you don't like Murray's arrogance, have you seen Federer as he is the extremely arrogant. I cannot believe that people won't support Murray even now.

I know people use the Paraguay shirt and him supporting anyone but England but it sounds like that is a lie so what is your excuse now?

But Hoy was REPRESENTING BRITAIN!
Murray, effectively represented Murray - but he's embraced, purely as a CHOICE, by Scots and some other people (whoever wants to, basically).

Federer has a RIGHT to be arrogant - he's been number one, he's won loads of big tournaments and 'Grand Slams'. Who's to say that Murray would decline to be arrogant if he became number one for SEVERAL YEARS?

Have you ever sat in a pub loaded with Scots and watched an England game (vs Germany Argentina or whoever)?
Do you imagine ONE Scot cheering for England??? Lots of laughs at THAT one!

Now, what about palace playing Swansea in the league? Cheering for Swansea or palace then Finchley?
What if palace got into Europe and played Raith Rovers or Berwick?
Come on, you HAVE to cheer for palace - plucky local lads, Southern team?

If not, what's YOUR excuse now?

And what's "pathetic" about rivalry?

As much as Federer seems like an inoffensive/nice bloke, having your own line of monogrammed cardigans is just...well...wrong!

Any different from having your name sewn on your gear at school?
Many businessmen have initials on their briefcases, and in the pro-tennis world of endorsements splattered over everything - don't you think the actual player should afford himself, somewhere in there, a hint of his OWN NAME??

Or perhaps you ripped off the tags from your Levis, because why should you wear someone else's name branded on your arse?

(P.S. These opinions are brought to you by NIKE)

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
But Hoy was REPRESENTING BRITAIN!
Murray, effectively represented Murray - but he's embraced, purely as a CHOICE, by Scots and some other people (whoever wants to, basically).

Federer has a RIGHT to be arrogant - he's been number one, he's won loads of big tournaments and 'Grand Slams'. Who's to say that Murray would decline to be arrogant if he became number one for SEVERAL YEARS?

Have you ever sat in a pub loaded with Scots and watched an England game (vs Germany Argentina or whoever)?
Do you imagine ONE Scot cheering for England??? Lots of laughs at THAT one!

Now, what about palace playing Swansea in the league? Cheering for Swansea or palace then Finchley?
What if palace got into Europe and played Raith Rovers or Berwick?
Come on, you HAVE to cheer for palace - plucky local lads, Southern team?

If not, what's YOUR excuse now?

And what's "pathetic" about rivalry?

How is Hoy representing Britain anymore than Murray. He is going to the Olympics to get a gold medal for himself while Murray is trying to win a Grand Slam for himself. However, in the newspaper it says GBR next to both of their names.

England and Scotland supporters are irrelevant as they are separate nations in football. It would be more relevant to ask whether they supported Henman and I don't know the answer to that. However, I do like to see all the Home Nations win in football.

As for the teams stuff, that is completely irrelevant. Where you get Palace and Raith Rovers out of me suggesting people should support Andy Murray is beyond me. Clubs are totally different to nationality.

Finally, one question back at you and the anti Murray brigade. When Andy and Jamie Murray play in the Davis Cup, who will you be supporting?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here