Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Google Nexus 4 thread

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
No indication on the website that you have to wait, though neither 3 or Vodafone have it on their website. Might go in and ask them if I get a chance (and can be bothered)

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Think its quite strange that there doesn't seem to be any indication yet of how many devices were available and more importantly when they will be in stock again. And bizarrely despite O2 having a '1 month' exclusivity deal Carphone Warehouse seem to be selling them on 3 and Vodafone networks as well. Quite tempted by getting one on 3 though it would mean it was a) locked and b) a 24 month contract which is less appealing!

C'mon Google improve your communication! ;)

In case you're interested...

I got fed up of waiting. With no indication of when more are going to be released and massive delivery times, I've just signed up to a two year contract with Orange at £26 a month and the phone is free - via Carphone Warehouse. With £45 cash back from Quidco it works out about the same as buying the phone from Google and two years at £12.50 a month on giff gaff. i'm tied in for two years, but that doesn't really bother me.

I've got double the data I usually use on O2, just need to hope Orange reception is OK.

I rang O2 to get my PAC code and they said that could nearly price match carphone warehouse, so instead of the phone being £299 for their £27 a month, 500mb deal, they would give it to me for free. It's less data though than I am getting with Orange, but still bonkers that they would just wipe off the £299 handset price to try and keep me.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

I got fed up of waiting. With no indication of when more are going to be released and massive delivery times, I've just signed up to a two year contract with Orange at £26 a month and the phone is free - via Carphone Warehouse. With £45 cash back from Quidco it works out about the same as buying the phone from Google and two years at £12.50 a month on giff gaff. i'm tied in for two years, but that doesn't really bother me.

I've got double the data I usually use on O2, just need to hope Orange reception is OK.

I rang O2 to get my PAC code and they said that could nearly price match carphone warehouse, so instead of the phone being £299 for their £27 a month, 500mb deal, they would give it to me for free. It's less data though than I am getting with Orange, but still bonkers that they would just wipe off the £299 handset price to try and keep me.

How is this phone then? Is it any good and worth taking the plunge on? How's the battery life and stuff?

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011

I'd already given up on Google having anymore stock anytime soon too (particularly when I saw they weren't fulfilling all preorders straight away) so had too bought from Carphoen Warehouse on a Three unlimited data deal. O2 did try and convince me to stay by saying they could match but when I pointed out that I was going to get unlimited data AND they couldn't give me a signal on Brighton seafront they gave up...

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
How is this phone then? Is it any good and worth taking the plunge on? How's the battery life and stuff?

Having come from many years of having an iPhone I have to say that I've struggled a bit with the Nexus and Android, particularly as Apps that I use a lot (iPlayer, Sky Go for example) aren't available as the OS is too new and others only have paid versions (Tapatalk for instance which has a free version on iOS as well as the paid one). I've also found the camera to be not quite as good as I was expecting in terms of hard to focus and pixellation - but maybe thats just me! The battery life is about what I would expect given that I use it quite a lot - I normally charge my phone every night. Am perserving with it though, and I'm sure I'll be used to it soon!

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London

It's meant to be arriving today, I'll let you know later in the week.

I'm also taking the plunge after three and a half years with an iphone. I couldn't justify the cost of the iphone 5 and fancied something new anyway; bit nervous though. Apple cocking up maps, their podcast app, youtube and other minor grumbles helped me make the decision.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Cheers for the info, I think I'm going to have to visit a shop and have a play with one, my contract is now expired and I'm currently on giffgaff, I'm hoping for a decent bonus at Xmas so a new phone is on the cards, I don't know which way to go. I can go either way, Samsung, nexus or iPhone or maybe windows phone. It's a difficult choice.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Re: Yet another Android phone to be released

Delivery times mean you won't see one this side of 2013 sadly. I'm gonna save my money until after Christmas and see how things are looking then

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
At least by then hopefully some of the apps that won't work on 4.2 will have been updated by then

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Anything that relies on Flash so the ones I've noticed so far are iPlayer & Media Player from the BBC and SkyGo. Also apps like Sky Sports just crash whenever I try and load them. Frustrating but I've got my iPad so I just use them on there in the meantime.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
great news, just ordered the 16gb version...goodbye Galaxy S, you've served me well. Moving on to a £10 a month sim only virgin media contract in Jan, 250 mins +calls to other virgin phones (the mrs), unlimited texts and 1gb data...over 2 years this works out at just £520 all in...A bargain £22 a month.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I had very much been thinking along these lines but having ordered one yesterday with a 4-5 week wait on delivery I've just received an email notifying me that it's been despatched! Amazing scenes if true.

Shit your leg off. Really?

Be sure to let us know if it does turn up this month then.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I'm loving mine. Easy to get to grips with after years on an iPhone. Great screen, very quick and the apps in the play store are great. IPlayer doesn't work which is annoying, but most stuff is there.

The battery information and data use is interesting, good to see which apps are running in the background and using up data / battery.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Sure enough the phone turned up this afternoon. Haven't had chance to have a play around yet, and in fact won't be getting my hands on a micro SIM to go in it until towards the end of the month so in the short term it will be a wifi only device.

Well bugger me. That's exciting. I'd like to take the plunge myself but to be honest I would need to sell my current handset to claw back some of the outlay during this expensive month, and I can't very well sell it until its replacement has arrived which leaves me at a quandary because if it doesn't show up pretty sharpish then I'm gonna be down on the pennies just when I need them most. And the site is saying the despatch time is now 6-7 weeks

Earlier in the thread there was some discussion of networks, etc. so just to say that I have just signed up for a rolling 30-day contract with Three giving me 200 any network minutes, 2000 Three-to-Three minutes (which the wife is also on), 5000 texts and unlimited (as far as I can tell, genuinely unlimited) data for £12.90 a month. I preferred being on a network rather than Giffgaff as I periodically travel abroad with work and can imagine the roaming fees on a genuine PAYG would be massive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here