Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Google Nexus 4 thread

Hockley Blues

Feb 3, 2005
Southend
You don't have any sales figures and your comment "outselling everything else and generating incredible levels of demand" was made up. Noted. Thanks.

Christ, lighten up.

It's not the overblown marketing bull***t that Apple spew before every product launch that I despise....or the 100% mark-up they slap on all their products...no...it's the fanboys who refuse to acknowledge that there may, just MAY be a phone out there as good as the iPhone.

I should add that this is coming from an iPhone 5 owner.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i) Google do not have an Apple-like infrastructure to roll out in numerous countries in one go.

maybe not, but LG does. seems to me that Google play might have sold out but that doesnt mean the device has sold out, all to create a bit of media buzz. i recall another popular smart phone do this same trick recently, with queues outside the official shops and sold out online, but you could walk into John Lewis and buy one.

D

Deleted member 18477

Christ, lighten up.

It's not the overblown marketing bull***t that Apple spew before every product launch that I despise....or the 100% mark-up they slap on all their products...no...it's the fanboys who refuse to acknowledge that there may, just MAY be a phone out there as good as the iPhone.

I should add that this is coming from an iPhone 5 owner.

The Samsung galaxy s3 is easily as good. Your choice just depends on which operating system you want to use. I'm sure this nexus 4 will be as good too. I'm not against apple one bit either I have an iPad and have had an iPhone for 3 years prior to my Samsung, just fancied a change and a cheaper contract.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yet another Android phone to be released

maybe not, but LG does. seems to me that Google play might have sold out but that doesnt mean the device has sold out, all to create a bit of media buzz. i recall another popular smart phone do this same trick recently, with queues outside the official shops and sold out online, but you could walk into John Lewis and buy one.

LG are not selling the Nexus 4 direct and John Lewis gave never sold the iPhone.

0/2 - must do better.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
LG are not selling the Nexus 4 direct and John Lewis gave never sold the iPhone.

0/2 - must do better.

LG will be supplying the likes of carphone warehouse, Phones 4 U etc. though their normal well established supply channels. I suppose those reporting they could buy iphones from John Lewis are false, i cant say i've went to verify.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
LG will be supplying the likes of carphone warehouse, Phones 4 U etc. though their normal well established supply channels. I suppose those reporting they could buy iphones from John Lewis are false, i cant say i've went to verify.

The only place that it is possible to buy iPhones from contract-free are from Apple direct - in their stores or via the Apple site.

You can check John Lewis now - they don't list the iPhone now, and they never have.

Dec 29, 2011
Nexus 4

Makes for good reading. I'm one of these types that hates "flashy" phones and loves a simple text + call phone, but reading the features makes me want to get one.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The only place that it is possible to buy iPhones from contract-free are from Apple direct - in their stores or via the Apple site.

You can check John Lewis now - they don't list the iPhone now, and they never have.

it was reported at the time that you could buy them from the Oxford Street branch. maybe they have a shop in there, either way they weren't sold out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
it was reported at the time that you could buy them from the Oxford Street branch. maybe they have a shop in there, either way they weren't sold out.

Are you trying to make a point that demand for the iPhone 5 was/is low? Do you think the Earth is also flat?

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Bozza some people are excited about this phone and think it looks good, as an iphone and imac owner I'm one of them. Some of your posts on this thread (and changing the title) seem like antagonistic trolling to me.

Disappointing that there weren't many devices for launch. I guess moe supplies will soon come rolling.

Google setting the price low will be great as over time it has to bring down the prices of other devices. I love my Lumia, but I know right now that I have to pay for the privilege. Would be nice to think the next gen of devices might have a lower price point though.

Also very petty the mods changing the thread title. If we're going have non-albion topics on here it should be an open forum.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Are you trying to make a point that demand for the iPhone 5 was/is low?

is it worth it? probably not, but the point was that many companies manipulate the supply to give a "sold out! high demand! it must be great!" buzz. its funny because i didn't actually say iphone you did, though of course i was thinking of Apple, but others have done the same over the years. meanwhile other less cynical reports suggested the iphone 5 sold out due to shortages created by difficult production processes. either way, the sales per qtr or year are really what count in the end, not how well something sells on one day or week im sure you'll agree.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Yet another Android phone to be released

If I were to consider an Android device such as this, would there be much difficulty in syncing it with my mail, photos, music and video on a Mac? Has cloud-based computing bypassed this as an issue?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Bozza some people are excited about this phone and think it looks good, as an iphone and imac owner I'm one of them. Some of your posts on this thread (and changing the title) seem like antagonistic trolling to me.

It seems to me that Bozza originally created this comedy character of "Bozza the Apple fanboy" and managed to catch a few people out, wind some folk up and generally mimic the actions of some of the sad geeks trolling the internet with bizarrely irrational militant loyalty to a brand. This character got tired a couple of years ago but instead of doing the decent thing and retiring him, I think the character has ended up consuming the person, a little like Heath Ledger apparently "became" the Joker. And now Bozza seems to actually believe his own hype and finds himself wading in to any and every conversation about products that rival Apple offerings, determined to rubbish them in some misguided devotion to a cause that simply isn't worth fighting for.

Perhaps he is still playing a game and thinks it's still funny. Perhaps it was never an act and he really does have an unhealthy Apple obsession. Either way, I can't be bothered to argue with him anymore because I don't believe in device A vs device B. I like to see healthy competition in the marketplace, from multiple manufacturers trading blows in a battle that ultimately benefits the consumer.

Regarding the Nexus 4 I am still struggling to fathom Google's grand plan, if there is one, or whether this has just been a big underestimation of demand. In either case, I'm still ever so disappointed not to have managed to bag one at the first time of asking. But there'll be more available before long and I'm hopeful the big G wouldn't let everybody down.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Re: Yet another Android phone to be released

It's all cyclic. In another generation Tescos will be wondering what went wrong ? Probably like Sainsburys now.

You always get people who follow the crowd, scared to be different. IPhone users are 95% identical to Manchester United fans from Surrey and that's a scientific fact.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Re: Yet another Android phone to be released

If I were to consider an Android device such as this, would there be much difficulty in syncing it with my mail, photos, music and video on a Mac? Has cloud-based computing bypassed this as an issue?

If a concept can bypass an issue possibly yes and no.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Regarding the Nexus 4 I am still struggling to fathom Google's grand plan, if there is one, or whether this has just been a big underestimation of demand. In either case, I'm still ever so disappointed not to have managed to bag one at the first time of asking. But there'll be more available before long and I'm hopeful the big G wouldn't let everybody down.

Think its quite strange that there doesn't seem to be any indication yet of how many devices were available and more importantly when they will be in stock again. And bizarrely despite O2 having a '1 month' exclusivity deal Carphone Warehouse seem to be selling them on 3 and Vodafone networks as well. Quite tempted by getting one on 3 though it would mean it was a) locked and b) a 24 month contract which is less appealing!

C'mon Google improve your communication! ;)

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Think its quite strange that there doesn't seem to be any indication yet of how many devices were available and more importantly when they will be in stock again. And bizarrely despite O2 having a '1 month' exclusivity deal Carphone Warehouse seem to be selling them on 3 and Vodafone networks as well. Quite tempted by getting one on 3 though it would mean it was a) locked and b) a 24 month contract which is less appealing!

C'mon Google improve your communication! ;)

Good spot on the Carphone Warehouse thing. I wonder if that's just a mistake or they'd make you wait a month if you did sign up on Voda or 3. Either way it must be pissing O2 off. The 3 deals are way better than their own, although none are even close to the cost involved if you could just buy the handset outright and stick a SIM in.

Hurry up and pull your finger out Google.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here