Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Other

Votes: 29 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Listen if anyone wants to get a political party together that.

1) Goes for a soft Brexit within the Customs Union.
2) Brings the utilities back into the national ownership (bar telecoms)
3) Promises to look at the railways, but will at least commit to placing track and trains under the control of single regional companies with return subsidies from general taxation to decrease fares.
4) Increases taxation progressively (anyone over 50K)
5) Regionalises petrol prices and personal car taxation so people living in cities who want to drive effectively subsidise those in rural communities who have to.
6) Introduces a national savings scheme with a low but guarenteed level of interest that finances a national house building scheme.
7) Make it illegal to leave a house empty for 6 months.
8) Cap rents
9) Bin HS2 and use the money for better connections up North.
10) Encourage through tax breaks large companies to move up into economically deprived areas up North. There are so many companies in London that really really don't need to be there.

I could go on....

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I’ll be voting Labour in Hove , not for Jeremy Corbyn but Peter Kyle. He has effectively shaped labour policy of a 2nd referendum.

But with the talk of Kyle being deselected, can this still happen with a GE looming ?

I can see the Lib Dem and Tory argument already though. Vote for the mmmmmm and Brexit is sorted. Vote for Labour and they will drag this out even longer with a new deal and referendum etc.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Listen if anyone wants to get a political party together that.

1) Goes for a soft Brexit within the Customs Union.
2) Brings the utilities back into the national ownership (bar telecoms)
3) Promises to look at the railways, but will at least commit to placing track and trains under the control of single regional companies with return subsidies from general taxation to decrease fares.
4) Increases taxation progressively (anyone over 50K)
5) Regionalises petrol prices and personal car taxation so people living in cities who want to drive effectively subsidise those in rural communities who have to.
6) Introduces a national savings scheme with a low but guarenteed level of interest that finances a national house building scheme.
7) Make it illegal to leave a house empty for 6 months.
8) Cap rents
9) Bin HS2 and use the money for better connections up North.
10) Encourage through tax breaks large companies to move up into economically deprived areas up North. There are so many companies in London that really really don't need to be there.

I could go on....

nice manifesto, maybe you should go on and stand?

have to pull up one issue as a hobby horse, point 6 building is not a problem of investment, its planning law that makes costly and take years to get development done.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
But with the talk of Kyle being deselected, can this still happen with a GE looming ?

To their credit, the Labour leadership have now realised that the increase in membership has lead to a fair number of members that are:

1) Student politicians at heart who are not sure what to do with their "Quantity Surveyors For Palestine" banner after the submission of their final project.

2) Some oddball conspiracy theorists who pray at at the alter of David Icke and celebrate Saint Livingstone day.

It's election time. A quick phone call from CLIFF (sorry Jeremy) is enough to make them back down.

Rik-Mayall-Rick-in-The-Young-Ones-428x372.png

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
nice manifesto, maybe you should go on and stand?

have to pull up one issue as a hobby horse, point 6 building is not a problem of investment, its planning law that makes costly and take years to get development done.

11) Reform planning law. Ban "land banking"

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can see the Lib Dem and Tory argument already though. Vote for the mmmmmm and Brexit is sorted. Vote for Labour and they will drag this out even longer with a new deal and referendum etc.
The Lib Dems don't want Brexit. Their only chance of stopping Brexit is for people to not vote Tory. If Labour get in, or if Labour lead a coalition government, then Brexit can be stopped (via a 2nd referendum). So the Lib Dems should be campaigning against the Tories, and in seats where they're third choice they'd actually be better asking their supporters to vote Labour.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Not long ago, a lot of those in the know were advocating a centrist party comprising of the right wing Blairite tendency of the Labour Party, and the one nation left wing of the Tory party. Apparently they would sweep all before them, a Government in waiting.
Well, it hasn’t turned out quite that way, most who split have ended up in the yellow Tories, or not standing again.

We don’t hear many calls for a new centre party now.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’ll be voting Labour in Hove , not for Jeremy Corbyn but Peter Kyle. He has effectively shaped labour policy of a 2nd referendum.

All local Labour meetings, AGMs and any other business have been cancelled nationally. Therefore all currently sitting Labour MPs are now defacto reselected for the election. Peter Kyle therefore is confirmed as the Labour candidate for Hove and Portslade.

Talk of deselection were premature. What Kyle faced was an endorsement by the local Labour groups that a reselection process wasn't needed. He needed a 2/3rds vote from the local parties that adjoin Hove and Portslade (which he would have got comfortably). Had he not got 2/3rds of the local groups vote, he then would have faced a reselection process.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
All local Labour meetings, AGMs and any other business have been cancelled nationally. Therefore all currently sitting Labour MPs are now defacto reselected for the election. Peter Kyle therefore is confirmed as the Labour candidate for Hove and Portslade.

Talk of deselection were premature. What Kyle faced was an endorsement by the local Labour groups that a reselection process wasn't needed. He needed a 2/3rds vote from the local parties that adjoin Hove and Portslade (which he would have got comfortably). Had he not got 2/3rds of the local groups vote, he then would have faced a reselection process.

There's going to be some absolutely GUTTED NSCers who said they'd not vote for Kyle again...

A lot of people I know voted for [Kyle] as a Labour candidate and now, post the Syria vote, would never vote for the man again.

At present I am one of them.

And me and plenty more I know

I will DANCE all the way along Church Road to CELEBRATE the day [Peter Kyle] is OUT

Good riddance to [Warren Morgan] , hopefully Kyle next

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There's going to be some absolutely GUTTED NSCers who said they'd not vote for Kyle again...

If anyone is interested why the former aid worker to the Balkans voted the way he did, he gave quite an honesty essay here.
extract
"The single biggest factor that moved me towards supporting action was the UN Security Council resolution which called on all member states that can do so to take military action against Daesh in Iraq and Syria. Normally such resolutions authorise action, this one proactively called for it and was signed by both Russia and China.

The resolution came after several UN reports into conditions in Daesh held territory revealed crimes that are scarcely imaginable. Around 500 young women are being traded in markets for sex, one burned alive a fortnight ago for refusing sex with someone who’d just purchased her. People are publicly murdered for standing accused of being gay. Not being gay, being accused of it. Non-Muslim people are executed. The list goes on and on and is coming from the United Nations not our government and not from campaigning organisations."

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If anyone is interested why the former aid worker to the Balkans voted the way he did, he gave quite an honesty essay here.
extract
"The single biggest factor that moved me towards supporting action was the UN Security Council resolution which called on all member states that can do so to take military action against Daesh in Iraq and Syria. Normally such resolutions authorise action, this one proactively called for it and was signed by both Russia and China.

The resolution came after several UN reports into conditions in Daesh held territory revealed crimes that are scarcely imaginable. Around 500 young women are being traded in markets for sex, one burned alive a fortnight ago for refusing sex with someone who’d just purchased her. People are publicly murdered for standing accused of being gay. Not being gay, being accused of it. Non-Muslim people are executed. The list goes on and on and is coming from the United Nations not our government and not from campaigning organisations."

Doubt they are, he's a red tory innit.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Obviously we had the Trident thing in the past - we'll pay for the nuclear deterrent, but make it absolutely clear that he'd never use it, making it a complete waste of money. I think he'd do the same think with Brexit - ask the EU for a deal, but make it absolutely clear that we'd accept whatever they offer, and under no circumstances leave without a deal. I wouldn't want to leave without a deal, just like I wouldn't want to ever use a nuclear deterrent, but the point is, you don't tell the other side that. It's possible he'd then put his deal to the public, and Brexit could be cancelled, but it's not guaranteed he would.

But it's what he'd do with the economy that's more concerning. If he had a decent majority, he'd give us large tax rises and blow money on public services like it was going out of fashion. Not that our public services don't need some investment after years of Tory misery, but I don't think Corbyn is the man to provide it diligently. More money needs to be spent on public services, and that money needs to reach the front line. Under Corbyn I'd expect public services to improve, but I'd also expect there to be more waste and we wouldn't be able to fund the increased spending, leading to a crash within 10 years.

I have no faith in him as someone who could run the finances of a small business, let along a country. He looks up to communists who have destroyed their own countries.

I also don't want Boris leading us with a decent Majority. He's Trump light. I can't stand anything about him. Ideally I'd like a coalition lead by Labour, but despite having the worst government most of us can remember, Corbyn is so bad he probably can't even give us that.

Another genuinely non-combatative question.

You seem to imply that the individual leaders, Johnson or Corbyn, would be individually responsible for running the economy. In reality of course, while there is overall leadership, there are many others, Cabinet Ministers, Advisors, external groups and (when in government) an army of civil servants all there to provide advice, and be involved in decision making. This is probably more so in the case of Corbyn, who is more often accused of not being a strong enough leader but Johnson, when Major of London, did have a reputation for delegating the 'difficult/detailed stuff' to others.

So should you not try and look beyond the idividuals at the top and see the wider group that would be involved?
Many people will never have heard of many of these. As an example, I know that Anneliese Dodds is increasingly influential as a Shadow Minister within the Shadow Treasury team. While still a new MP (elected 2017) she brings a lot of experience from her time as an MEP. She is exactly the type of a hard working, thoughtful, dedicated MP, with real integrity, that I want as close to power as possible. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0005qhx/question-time-2019-06062019 (warning, contains Piers Morgan)

I look at Ministers and advisors (mainly brought in from the dark money funded, hard-right, think-tanks of tufton Street) in the Johnson government and do NOT feel reassured about who he'd be taking advice from.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not long ago, a lot of those in the know were advocating a centrist party comprising of the right wing Blairite tendency of the Labour Party, and the one nation left wing of the Tory party. Apparently they would sweep all before them, a Government in waiting.
Well, it hasn’t turned out quite that way, most who split have ended up in the yellow Tories, or not standing again.

We don’t hear many calls for a new centre party now.

if they pulled their finger out Liberals should be the centrist party.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
if they pulled their finger out Liberals should be the centrist party.

They've decided in their own way not to be a centrist party, but an extreme one in their own right by standing on a policy to completely ignore a democratic process and standing legislation. A second referendum to ask people whether they still want to exit knowing all the consequences is one thing, saying you are going to revoke legislation and ignore a referendum completely is quite another.

I honestly can't stand them, more so than when they went into coalition. Swinson stood in front of a myriad of turncoats from other parties, some of whom tried to set up a new party first rather than stomach the Lib Dems - now all smiling like Cheshire Cats, we don't really want to be here, but we're out of options for our political careers.

Swinson already trawling out the line "we won't work with any of the main parties". What, were you too young to remember when you said that 9 years ago!? Conveniently omitting going from 7m to 2m votes in the space of 5 years. You got 12 bloody seats at the last election. Delusion party. If you want Brexit and you're voting in a Tory/Labour marginal then a vote for the party of remain is as good as a vote to leave.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Sajid Javid seems proper pumped up for this election.

:bowdown:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
As a floating voter, after a long and thorough inspection of manifestos, watching TV and listening to the radio, I will be deciding who is best for my family, myself the country and the people.
And vote for the bird with the big tits.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I ask this every time but does anyone HAVE a party/claim to be a supporter of Party A/B? If so, does that mean you vote for them NO MATTER WHAT their policy is?

It stumps me every time. "Oh, I'm tory". How's that work?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here