[Albion] The future’s bright, the future’s Potter

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well I for one am glad to have you join our Albion community Swansman, you provide good insights into Potter as a man and his mindsets as a coach.

Ignore the haters. I get them too when I dare criticise, and I’m born in bred in Brighton.

What are your projections for us under the Potter project next season?

I do ignore them, no worries.

Its very hard to project anything, especially with the corona thing making the pre-season very short and possibly slowing down the development of this project: less money on the market means less opportunity to make necessary changes.

Pre-season normally also allows you to do more team-building and strategical training rather than the tactical training you do before games. Less time to implement nice passing patterns etc, less friendly games to try ideas and young players.

Very unfortunate, there's a lot to be done because the team is still pretty far from playing according to how Potter wants football to be played. The squad is pretty wonky when it comes to executing his ideas and Premier League is not Allsvenskan or Championship, you often cant afford to lose 4-5 games in a row because you wanted to change things up. It is very difficult to balance chasing progress and chasing results.

I expect Potter to not only keep the core of the team (the most common starting players), but also the core of the dressing room even if there's better players around to fill their roles as rotational/backup players. We'll see 5-6 fringe players leaving and 3-4 presumed key players/supertalents arriving.

A small evolution both in style and quality but he is not the type of coach to uproot everything in a hurry, like some managers. The pre-season/season after this upcoming one could be a bit more action filled though.

I’m still fence but he did enough to get another go, good luck to him next season expectations will move higher than bottom 5 battles, let’s see if he can do it

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
So what is your perspective on our manager? Enlighten us with your thoughts.

Ah, I can actually help you with this one.

This is what [MENTION=18713]TottonSeagull[/MENTION] posted during (and after) the match at West Ham back in February (literally two days after Graham Potter's father passed away):-

**** off potter you useless ****! Your taking us down!
At least we could defend last year!!

No faith in the gormless t.wat! Just a lower league yes man!!

No changes at hall time from the clueless p.rick!

So the clueless clown does is his usual change the full back!! ****in ridiculous!

The subs worked and I have no idea why! Well done GP for seeing something that fee others did!!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Next season is going to be very interesting indeed...

What players will we bring in?
What will players will we let go?

I believe with this manager, and this crop of young players we are definitely capable of top 10 next season.

Questions like that – in threads like this – make me really miss BG. He may not have always been right, but his suggestions never failed to bring a thread to life :down::cry:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have no idea what next season will bring but Potter has made watching the Albion fun again (not less stressful).

I can see that we MIGHT be able to avoid a fourth season battling relegation but it’s gonna be tough and needs TB to fund the type of players GP wants for it to have a chance. More promotion from the youth team and no investment in the elusive striker and goal scoring midfielder is unlikely to be enough imo

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
This kind of polarisation is common throughout society so it's not a surprise it happens on a football forum, but i'd ask you to be careful about this kind of thing. It's not as simple as with us or without us.
Anyone over the age of about 35 will remember the 90s very, very well- i'm 39 and it was a huge part of not just my life as a football supporter but a human being in general. It's clumsy and unhelpful to accuse posters on here who are in anyway critical as having short memories, or worse. We remember. But we're still entitled to our opinion. We raise concerns here, on a forum. Not at the games. Games you've not been to. So please have more respect. You seem fairly reasoned and I'm loving our new found global appeal as a football force but you really don't have the right to be criticising these people IMHO.

The trouble is if we want to progress as a club we need to have a better atmosphere in the stadium. There needs to be a get behind the team no matter what attitude, that happens at some clubs but not the Albion.
Our support is almost unconditional but that needs to come across in the noise generated. Before lockdown the atmosphere at the games was awful, and yes I know we weren't playing well but that's the point, that's when the team need us most.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
I do ignore them, no worries.

Its very hard to project anything, especially with the corona thing making the pre-season very short and possibly slowing down the development of this project: less money on the market means less opportunity to make necessary changes.

Pre-season normally also allows you to do more team-building and strategical training rather than the tactical training you do before games. Less time to implement nice passing patterns etc, less friendly games to try ideas and young players.

Very unfortunate, there's a lot to be done because the team is still pretty far from playing according to how Potter wants football to be played. The squad is pretty wonky when it comes to executing his ideas and Premier League is not Allsvenskan or Championship, you often cant afford to lose 4-5 games in a row because you wanted to change things up. It is very difficult to balance chasing progress and chasing results.

I expect Potter to not only keep the core of the team (the most common starting players), but also the core of the dressing room even if there's better players around to fill their roles as rotational/backup players. We'll see 5-6 fringe players leaving and 3-4 presumed key players/supertalents arriving.

A small evolution both in style and quality but he is not the type of coach to uproot everything in a hurry, like some managers. The pre-season/season after this upcoming one could be a bit more action filled though.

Its going to be interesting because from what I can see we have too many midfield players who in the system we play are almost exactly the same. The thing that is obviously missing from our team, with the exception of Lamptey is pace. It would be great to try and get James from Utd on loan maybe or if they don't want him try and sign him.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Maybe some people dont allow 45 minutes to shape their whole world view.

I read "Build a Bonfire" during the corona break and when I read match threads I can't understand how so many people could have such a short memory.

So many wankers demanding great results and firework performances in every game when everyone within the club are working their ass off week out week in. Absolutely zero patience from far too many fans, very worrying as the team will need support in order to grow.

That is a first class post. I think it summarises the fickle nature of football fans in general.

We’ve come a long way from those days, gradually building each step of the way. It’s no different now. We’re not a top 10 team, but we’ve laid the foundations. This in its self is an incredibly hard achievement. If we acknowledge that and get behind the team instead of instantly expecting us to play top 5 clubs off the park, it might actually take some pressure off the team and make it easier for them to achieve

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Pull names from a hat to surprise the opposition and then try to stabalise with second half subs if it doesn't work.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
From the BBC's match report :)

"Brighton took a gamble last summer when they dispensed with safe pair of hands Chris Hughton and appointed Swansea's Graham Potter - but it has undoubtedly paid off.

Potter has introduced a more attractive and fluid style of play and has increased the Seagulls' numbers for possession, successful passes, goals, shots, clean sheets and touches in the opposition's penalty area. Crucially, he has got them all but safe with two games to spare."

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Its going to be interesting because from what I can see we have too many midfield players who in the system we play are almost exactly the same. The thing that is obviously missing from our team, with the exception of Lamptey is pace. It would be great to try and get James from Utd on loan maybe or if they don't want him try and sign him.

Bissouma, Maupay and Trossard have pace imho.

But agree with you that we need more, in midfield.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Pull names from a hat to surprise the opposition and then try to stabalise with second half subs if it doesn't work.

The ‘pull names’ from the hat thing is getting a little boring.

If you look at our first half performance, you’ll see that the tactics suited both the formation and the players.

Did you see us try and play the ball out from the back?

It didn’t happen. Hazelnut and his team would have watched us trying to play out the back against Liverpool & Man City and rubbed their hands. They were totally unprepared for a direct playing 4-4-2 with Murray upfront, that meant we more or less dominanted the first half, we had chances to be 3-0.

I don’t thing Potter has set-up like that this season. It left Hazlenut completely shelled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports