Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The first half...

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
It was absolutely shocking, As said by others, mostly down to the team selection and formation but that doesn't explain the comedy free kick or that totally shambolic defending for their goal or giving Shelvey 30 yards of space all half. .

It’s not the first time CH tactical ineptitude has made Shelvey look like Beckenbauer. Joke.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Well, we finally played 4-4-2, when there were so many better opportunities to experiment earlier in the season. Strange really as circumstances dictated that this time, not losing was actually the most important thing. Massive point in the end. Started with a left winger Izzy who’s not fit and woefully out of form. Right midfielder Gross, slow and doesn’t play there - which showed when they scored. 2 fit proper wide men on the bench. And as soon as we’re a goal down, we switch back to the normal formation anyway. All very confused. It’s not quite clear to me who’s now running the show.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Pleased with the result eventually. But I did finally join the hughton out camp, because he’s doubted his own judgement and gone for 442 to appease the boo boys. Then compounded it by putting gross out on the right,which made less sense than the historic playing of scholes on the left.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Never been so embarrassed, with the football we have played in the last month , it’s been awful

So you weren’t ever embarrassed by the performances we served up as we slowly sank almost to oblivion in the late 90s?

People have short memories. All teams have periods of shit, just like they all have periods when they appear world-beaters.

Embarrassed, nah! Shit happens and I would never be embarrassed to say I support Brighton.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I kind of understood the starting line up.
He wanted to go 442 but that means leaving out Gross who is our most creative player. To keep him in the team he put him right wing (where he played a lot in Germany). Good to see us going 2 up top and it seemed a positive team. Trouble with 442 though is you need the 2 central midfielders to work overtime and I thought Kayal especially was poor (understand his selection after the Wolves game but he was a shadow of the player that played then).
Was very surprised March started on the bench - think that was a big mistake.
Clearly wasn't working first half so Hughton changed shape and positioning of players - none of which worked.
He needs to accept what he tried first half really didn't work - but if he gets criticism for the 1st half then he should also get praise for the 2nd.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Hughton usually always makes measured decisions. Even if we don’t like them.

But that formation for this game was just bizarre. Totally unlike him and a total ****ing disaster.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
That was a team selected by a manager who is pnacking and under pressure, and a squad who looked petrified.

The free kick in the 1st half being an example

Im sure hughton would have wanted to play the way we did against spurs, it would have nullified shelvey. But he tried to be attacking at home. In the end after 2 formation changes we got there in the 2nd half

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He wanted to go 442 but that means leaving out Gross who is our most creative player. To keep him in the team he put him right wing (where he played a lot in Germany). Good to see us going 2 up top and it seemed a positive team. Trouble with 442 though is you need the 2 central midfielders to work overtime and I thought Kayal especially was poor (understand his selection after the Wolves game but he was a shadow of the player that played then).
Clearly wasn't working first half so Hughton changed shape and positioning of players - none of which worked.
He needs to accept what he tried first half really didn't work - but if he gets criticism for the 1st half then he should also get praise for the 2nd.

Hmmmm so we really must praise Mr Hughton for being brave enough to change the woeful, unbelievable woeful, team selection he took 4 days to make.

A bit like praising Chris Grayling for cancelling the ferry contract he negotiating with a company that has no boats.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Hmmmm so we really must praise Mr Hughton for being brave enough to change the woeful, unbelievable woeful, team selection he took 4 days to make.

A bit like praising Chris Grayling for cancelling the ferry contract he negotiating with a company that has no boats.

He tried something - it didn't work so he changed it.
Need to look at the game as a whole - if he is going to be criticised for the first half then yes he should get praised for the 2nd.
Doesn't suit the anti-Hughton agenda to give him any credit for anything though does it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He tried something - it didn't work so he changed it.
Need to look at the game as a whole - if he is going to be criticised for the first half then yes he should get praised for the 2nd.
Doesn't suit the anti-Hughton agenda to give him any credit for anything though does it?
He tried something yes.
He tried to revert back to 4-4-2, great.
He tried that with only one recognised winger and unbelievable (for most) the one with the least form.

Anyone would think his team selection was a cry for the sack.
At half-time Mr Bloom said 'I don't care I'm not going to sack you'.

So Hughton thought 'oh bugger, I might as well do this properly'.

When the team was announced I explained the formation to a tourist I took to the game.

'The defense picks itself'.
'Then we have a holding midfielder'.
'In front of him we'll have a slightly less holding midfielder'.
'Then an assist generating midfielder'.
'Playing behind 2 centre forwards'
'Oh and the fella on the left wing is injured and hasn't played much'.
'Fingers crossed Newcastle won't notice nobody is on the right'.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
He tried something yes.
He tried to revert back to 4-4-2, great.
He tried that with only one recognised winger and unbelievable (for most) the one with the least form.

Anyone would think his team selection was a cry for the sack.

At half-time Mr Bloom said 'I don't care I'm not going to sack you'.

So Hughton thought 'oh bugger, I might as well do this properly'.

When the team was announced I explained the formation to a tourist I took to the game.

'The defense picks itself'.
'Then we have a holding midfielder'.
'In front of him we'll have a slightly less holding midfielder'.
'Then an assist generating midfielder'.
'Playing behind 2 centre forwards'
'Oh and the fella on the left wing is injured and hasn't played much'.
'Fingers crossed Newcastle won't notice nobody is on the right'.

Funny how the majority on social media were happy with the team when announced. Easy to criticise afterwards when it hasn't worked.
Gross played on the right a lot in Germany (and got the most chances created in the league). Easy to say he is too slow but Beckham for example was not exactly quick but did ok in that position.
Jose is our only natural left winger and when fit is our best player in that position.
2 upfront also seemed positive.
Kayal was excellent against Wolves and most were calling for him to start.

Unfortunately Gross was awful, Kayal a shadow of the player he was at Wolves and Jose played like he was still injured.
CH recognised this and made changes, both in shape first half and then personnel 2nd half.
CH can be blamed for the wingers he picked but the biggest problem for me was the lack of pressing in the middle by Kayal - someone who most (including me) had been calling for to start.

Fran112

Jun 6, 2011
Waterlooville
I’d like to see us going in for Shelvey (assuming we stay up) vision, pass quality and composure top draw.

I heard he wants to come back saaaaarrrff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been thinking all season, “We need just one player to unlock the potential of the players we have”
You know I think you may have got this spot on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Funny how the majority on social media were happy with the team when announced. Easy to criticise afterwards when it hasn't worked.
Gross played on the right a lot in Germany (and got the most chances created in the league). Easy to say he is too slow but Beckham for example was not exactly quick but did ok in that position.
Jose is our only natural left winger and when fit is our best player in that position.
2 upfront also seemed positive.
Kayal was excellent against Wolves and most were calling for him to start.

Unfortunately Gross was awful, Kayal a shadow of the player he was at Wolves and Jose played like he was still injured.
CH recognised this and made changes, both in shape first half and then personnel 2nd half.
CH can be blamed for the wingers he picked but the biggest problem for me was the lack of pressing in the middle by Kayal - someone who most (including me) had been calling for to start.

Everyone was happy to see 2 strikers on the pitch for the start of a game requiring at least 1 goal.

Although much like the Spanish Inquisition nobody expected one of those strikers to be playing on the right wing, while 2 right wingers watched on from the bench.

Fran112

Jun 6, 2011
Waterlooville

Errr according to official BHA web site the starting line up was 443 ?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
What I've found slightly baffling in recent weeks, is the home crowd. It would seem in spite of one of the worst ever 1st half displays by any team at this level ever... our home crowd, rather than resoundingly booing and calling for heads, seemed to by all too apathetic... Unfortunately a load of keyboard warriors ranting on this forum will change nothing, as the board seem to be on message with the general acceptance that we've 'found our level.'

Malaise from the crowd, reflected in the players, and here we sit, fists clenched in impotent rage...

I don't advocate booing an unlucky, plucky bunch of hard working players who just can't cut it... but that lot (first half) deserved nothing but a chorus of boos for what was an absolute disgrace.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Everyone was happy to see 2 strikers on the pitch for the start of a game requiring at least 1 goal.

Much like the Spanish Inquisition nobody expected one of those strikers to be playing on the right wing, while 2 right wingers watched on from the bench.

I agree with all your posts on this. Many fans got excited seeing Andone and Murray as wow, we’re going attacking.

In reality, PL games are invariably won with a 5 man midfield, so appeasing the attack/attack/attack fans, left us short, enabling Shelvey and friends to run the match. Plus Andone and Gross were sucked into defence, as we were being outclassed .... yet again.

Solly should’ve started. Not a hindsight post, I’ve praised him all season. Knockaert too. Izquierdo is clearly unfit, with zero confidence and lacking the pace of last season.

Loads of fans hate the 4-5-1 with Solly and AK, but it gave us a great closing 40 minutes last night.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands

Although much like the Spanish Inquisition nobody expected one of those strikers to be playing on the right wing, while 2 right wingers watched on from the bench.

The 2 strikers were Andone and Murray - neither started on the right wing (Andone moved there when it was clear it was going wrong but he did not start there)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here