Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The declining quality of my match day experience

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Just a tip on this, I'm on o2 and the 3g/4g internet is non existent in and around the stadium for me on matchday too. In respect of the stadium wifi it asks me for a name and email each time, but you can put pretty much any random info in these two boxes if you don't want to be bombarded, it doesn't ask you to verify the email etc.

I've no issue with putting my email in and never been bombarded. As I mentioned, I've not had a problem getting on wifi for sometime now - but Villa game just couldn't get on in West Upper. Kept putting name and email in and ticking box ... hit the submit button and then got presented with the page again to re-enter details. I tried it on the concourse while having my 'early bird' pie and pint of Guinness ... and again in my seat. Must have tried 10 times or thereabouts ... but just gave up. Hopefully just a one off technical issue that will be sorted for next game.

EDIT: forgot to add ... when at the ground early and not too many people there, I have no issue when on 4/5G. It's only as we get closer to kick off and then during the game that I can rarely do anything when just on mobile data.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It’s the premier league survey. Not “mine”. I’ve not given any advice about anything on this thread . . And I’ve not even discussed what I personally think about any of these issues - or my personal experience. I just pointed out the survey exists . Of course some will disagree with it, or have different views or be sceptical that that’s what other fans are saying. . I’ve been on NSC long enough to know that. Why attack me about it. What about the 3000 fans that filled it out. I wasn’t one of them.

I know it’s not your survey
I know you haven’t given any advice on this thread…….others have and I’ve found some very helpful information though.

I’m not attacking you, myself and others have tried to mention the survey is not really relevant with any points the OP has made, and you didn’t seem happy with the replies.

I’m sure that job offer will come one day……:D

I’m off to work now so you won’t hear any more from me for several hours.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
On travel ... I use Seagull Travel and have had a 'season ticket' with them for the last few years or so. It's a great service for those that are close to a pick up point - although adds to cost of the match day experience. We always used to travel on a really old white single decker ... which was fine and never let us down. This year, for obvious reasons I guess, more are using the service and we now have a double decker ... with very cramped seating. I'm not tall and can barely sit without my kneed ramming up against the seat in front. Yes, a small thing in the scheme of things, I know.

But we've just had an email from ST saying prices will have to go up next season. So it gets you thinking as train travel is obviously free! So for the Villa game I decided to go by train ... and went early (arriving at the ground before turnstiles were open) hoping trains wouldn't be too bad from Shoreham. Oh my goodness ... absolutely rammed. Unfortunately found myself on a carriage with two groups of of 'lads' ... mid 20's / 30's ... bottles of beer ... loud voices ... foul language ... but worst of all, disgraceful homophobic language! And yes, they were going to the game ... via Brighton pubs.

I returned home on my usual ST bus once I'd found it in the coach park. And I imagine I'll be renewing my season ticket with ST!!

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I've no issue with putting my email in and never been bombarded. As I mentioned, I've not had a problem getting on wifi for sometime now - but Villa game just couldn't get on in West Upper. Kept putting name and email in and ticking box ... hit the submit button and then got presented with the page again to re-enter details. I tried it on the concourse while having my 'early bird' pie and pint of Guinness ... and again in my seat. Must have tried 10 times or thereabouts ... but just gave up. Hopefully just a one off technical issue that will be sorted for next game.

EDIT: forgot to add ... when at the ground early and not too many people there, I have no issue when on 4/5G. It's only as we get closer to kick off and then during the game that I can rarely do anything when just on mobile data.

I've had this issue with the wifi for the last three or four games since I moved from Vodafone to GiffGaff. Don't know if that's just a coincidence or not... I need to get round to contacting supporter services about.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

This has happened to me every game this season, after working perfectly before now.

Exactly as you describe: enter name and email address, submit and the page just refreshes and asks for the same again. Repeat over and over, entering random crap just to see if something, just anything works.

Invariably, in the end, it will work, but it can take 10, 20 or even more attempts to get to that point.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I've had this issue with the wifi for the last three or four games since I moved from Vodafone to GiffGaff. Don't know if that's just a coincidence or not... I need to get round to contacting supporter services about.

Could you provide an update if you manage to get an answer :thumbsup:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This has happened to me every game this season, after working perfectly before now.

Exactly as you describe: enter name and email address, submit and the page just refreshes and asks for the same again. Repeat over and over, entering random crap just to see if something, just anything works.

Invariably, in the end, it will work, but it can take 10, 20 or even more attempts to get to that point.

Interesting that spamming it with repeated sign in attempts seems to work. I have given up trying to sign in now but may try again. It worked fantastically well for me for several seasons, but stopped a year or 2 before the pandemic. However I am on EE and most of the time I can get signal, if a little slow.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Interesting that spamming it with repeated sign in attempts seems to work. I have given up trying to sign in now but may try again. It worked fantastically well for me for several seasons, but stopped a year or 2 before the pandemic. However I am on EE and most of the time I can get signal, if a little slow.

Does that mean the closest mast to the ground is an EE one and therefore gives preference to EE users? I've no idea how this works ... so possibly talking out of my wotsit as usual :D ... but something must be happening if some can get on and others can't. It really shouldn't be a problem in this day and age ... :(

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A few annoying gripes:

- they stop selling beer outside at 2.10pm - why so early? Presumably so you then go inside and buy beer and the club get more from this? Maybe.
- Sussex Uni car park entrance is a shambles. Was better saturday possibly due to the traffic stuck on the A23? But since boxing day it has been hell. It's taking 90 mins from home to car park space when it previously took 30 mins. 60 mins of waiting from Coldean Lane and then the A27 and then a slow crawl through past Stamner. Seems to be caused by increased numbers plus pointless scanning of your ticket that quite often takes ten goes. Move the steward checks to the individual car parks, this would take away the bottle neck and problem solved.
- pre match build up is very tired, fans zone no one cares.
- half time entertainment - there is none, but that is pretty common across the premier league.

A lot of the above would probably barely be noticed though if we got more home wins! Or could even score when on top!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A few annoying gripes:

- they stop selling beer outside at 2.10pm - why so early? Presumably so you then go inside and buy beer and the club get more from this? Maybe.
- Sussex Uni car park entrance is a shambles. Was better saturday possibly due to the traffic stuck on the A23? But since boxing day it has been hell. It's taking 90 mins from home to car park space when it previously took 30 mins. 60 mins of waiting from Coldean Lane and then the A27 and then a slow crawl through past Stamner. Seems to be caused by increased numbers plus pointless scanning of your ticket that quite often takes ten goes. Move the steward checks to the individual car parks, this would take away the bottle neck and problem solved.
- half time entertainment - there is none, but that is pretty common across the premier league.

A lot of the above would probably barely be noticed though if we got more home wins! Or could even score when on top!

I can't believe you haven't mentioned the biggest travesty.

Fan zone.
Montage.
Team "being lead of by Dunky" - (F**k off unbelievably not the biggest crime)
Sussex By The Sea.
Singing.
Clapping...

... Advert for Premier League.

What the hell is that doing there.
Spend 20 minutes building up the atmosphere then depth charge it out of the stadium with a f*"king advert for the product we've all bought into.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Reynolds, is this the dullard with the microphone?

It was freezing in the concourse at the weekend and with the delayed KO I'd drank my pint and eaten my pie so took up my seat early to catch some Vitamin D. What a bore that man is, no wonder people complain about the atmosphere before kick off. Bloody covid adverts at half time too ???

The seat squeeze is irritating, we're packed in way too tight even for regular sized humans.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
A few annoying gripes:

Half time sprinkler show like the Fountains at the Bellagio!

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I have mentioned what you have said about the train after the match in post 31, agree with what you are saying here.

What happens at Falmer station ( Lewes bound ) is the staff can only allow a certain number of fans onto the platform from the ramp, but not everyone gets on the first train, some fans will wait for an Eastbourne train instead of getting on the Seaford train and changing at Lewes.

I’ve been on the train before the match from Newhaven and it’s been pretty quiet, and also have seen the carriage I’m in packed solid as it pulls out of Lewes.

Fair enough that numbers may be limited and people may wait for the next train but surely it can’t be that hard to allow another 30/40/50 people through once it’s clear that the end carriage is going to be leaving virtually empty. Just needs better control / stewarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
!

Since the multi-storey car park tickets have been made available the ingress and egress to the Uni car parks has been awful. Just too many cars for the stewards to cope.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Give the non league scene a go for a couple of weeks. Far more enjoyable experience, more affordable, and no hastle getting to and from the game. It's brilliant. Also the money you save can then be spent in the pub on the way home! Win win.

An interesting solution. My problem is, I don't support a non-league team, I support Brighton

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
An interesting solution. My problem is, I don't support a non-league team, I support Brighton

I support both. Born in Shoreham so that is my true 'local' team, and I support the Albion as being my closest professional side. At the moment the non league scene is a far more enjoyable day out for me, saving time and money, and I enjoy regularly supporting the grass roots game on Saturday afternoons.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I support both. Born in Shoreham so that is my true 'local' team, and I support the Albion as being my closest professional side. At the moment the non league scene is a far more enjoyable day out for me, saving time and money, and I enjoy regularly supporting the grass roots game on Saturday afternoons.

So when and why did the Albion come above Shoreham when you had to choose who to watch?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here