Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The declining quality of my match day experience

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You are not getting grief. It is being pointed out to you that the survey does not address the issues raised on the thread. Pretty straightforward.

There are only extracts in the programme and on the club website and the full list of questions/data isn't published but it does cover a lot of the issues raised by this thread which after all is about the "match day experience".
Of course i'm not getting grief. I was just being flippant...:)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The OP….It now takes me 1 1/2 hours to get back to Polgate after a match.
Chailey Jem…. But what about this survey, we have the third cleanest toilets in the PL.

:moo: :whistle: :drama:

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I’m also on 02 and agree.
I very rarely look at my phone in the ground because I gave up trying to use it there ages ago, I did try and look at Twitter on the bus in the coach park after Saturday’s match, definitely no 3G or 4G.
Some other fans were trying to find out something about the rugby match and also couldn’t get a signal until we were up towards Woodingdean.

I'm on 02 - iPhone 12.

I've been able to connect to wifi at all games until this Saturday when it kept asking me to enter personal details, email etc. So I gave up.

I've got 5G on my phone - which is supposed to be better when there's congestion due to too many people trying to connect to the same mobile mast (or something like that). But I'm having the same problem as when I had 4G on my old phone. The phone shows a good 5G signal - but most of the time nothing works. Even when back on ST coach I just don't bother trying to access BBC Sport or whatever until we've departed and are on A27!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm on 02 - iPhone 12.

I've been able to connect to wifi at all games until this Saturday when it kept asking me to enter personal details, email etc. So I gave up.

I've got 5G on my phone - which is supposed to be better when there's congestion due to too many people trying to connect to the same mobile mast (or something like that). But I'm having the same problem as when I had 4G on my old phone. The phone shows a good 5G signal - but most of the time nothing works. Even when back on ST coach I just don't bother trying to access BBC Sport or whatever until we've departed and are on A27!!

Exactly the same circumstances and experience for me last Saturday, it was shite, as soon as we got near the stadium.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Chailey Jem…. But what about this survey, we have the third cleanest toilets in the PL.

The OP. I have a very personal view about the match day experience - and i'm going to write a thread about it called my match day experience and argue that its declining. .
Me: Here's a survey about the match day experience that offers a different view.
Apols if thats not ok.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I’ve a theory that current mojo levels have nothing to do with the Amex - or quality of football for that matter - but are instead a wider issue and consequence of the last 2 years. Global pandemic, stadium closures and now Ukraine. Suspect for many, the last 28 months has emphasised that there are a heap of things more important than football and plenty of other things to be doing on a Saturday afternoon….or whatever god forsaken day and time it is we’re playing to accommodate the TV schedule.

Bill Shankly once lamented “Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.”

Turns out he was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Exactly the same circumstances and experience for me last Saturday, it was shite, as soon as we got near the stadium.

Old skool transistor radios still rule ok! It’s 5 O’clock and time for Sports Report…de dum de dum de dum de dum, da da de da de dah :ascarf:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I am on 02 and have never once been able to connect to the WiFi in the stadium or even get 3G/ 4g until I’ve left the coach park. Am I alone?

O2 is usually shite at and around the ground, but that has nothing to do with getting wifi or not. The wifi is unfailingly excellent in WSL

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I’m an infrequent visitor to the Amex. I would come more often as tickets are relatively easy to come by if you get organised but for me, the post-match train misery back to Lewes is a real deterrent, especially with a 2 hour drive at the other end. Appreciate it is out of the club’s control and getting away from all PL grounds is a pain in the arse. But the Never Moving Ramp of Misery just makes my heart sink, especially with two children in tow. They never say as much because they know it costs me a lot of money to bring them, but I know they hate that bit. Last time we went, someone was pissing through the railings on the top level. Nice.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’m an infrequent visitor to the Amex. I would come more often as tickets are relatively easy to come by if you get organised but for me, the post-match train misery back to Lewes is a real deterrent, especially with a 2 hour drive at the other end. Appreciate it is out of the club’s control and getting away from all PL grounds is a pain in the arse. But the Never Moving Ramp of Misery just makes my heart sink, especially with two children in tow. They never say as much because they know it costs me a lot of money to bring them, but I know they hate that bit. Last time we went, someone was pissing through the railings on the top level. Nice.

The pain/painless of the trains depend on what mode you are in.

If I'm in mate-mode, which involves a few beers in Brighton before the game and then hanging about after the match for another couple, the trains are fine. By the time we make our way to the station, the queues are long gone and it's a matter of jumping on the first train that comes along.

If I'm in dad-mode and, these days when my son comes with me, I generally am, the post-match trains could be horrific. I say "could be" because I've not even tried. That slow shuffle you allude to, particularly if the weather is cold and/or wet is never going to be much fun when you have young children with you. As such, I've been ultra-keen to grab Bridge parking tickets when I see them, and I've had a high success rate. That car park is hardly a barrel of laughs after the game either, but at least you're in your own little cocoon complete with roof and warm air.

I was away last week (which I know you know) and missed both of the last two home games. I'd not thought ahead so I also had parking tickets for both games. I transferred my season tickets and parking tickets to my neighbour who has a football-mad son. The on-pitch stuff could have been better, clearly, but his first comment when I asked how it went was "that car park is horrendous, isn't it?" He'd probably not say the same if he'd ever had to do the train.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
the transport situation is the number 1 thing that puts me off going. I just don't think the whole infrastructure is equipped to deal with the crowds that we're currently getting

I've come to the sad realisation that I simple won't be going to the Amex again until my son is old enough and keen enough for me to take, even then I'd think twice

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
I'm on 02 - iPhone 12.

Just a tip on this, I'm on o2 and the 3g/4g internet is non existent in and around the stadium for me on matchday too. In respect of the stadium wifi it asks me for a name and email each time, but you can put pretty much any random info in these two boxes if you don't want to be bombarded, it doesn't ask you to verify the email etc.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The OP. I have a very personal view about the match day experience - and i'm going to write a thread about it called my match day experience and argue that its declining. .
Me: Here's a survey about the match day experience that offers a different view.
Apols if thats not ok.

Just trying to point out to you where this was going in a very simple way, I honestly don’t believe you are helping with any advice unlike other posts, especially advice on transport.

At least some of us know the phone signal WiFi maybe isn’t what your survey suggests.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings

After match train service is poor, but not helped by the incompetence of whoever is in charge of number of people boarding the trains. So frustrating waiting on the ramp approach watching trains pull out with empty seats / carriages.

Trains on the way over can be absolutely rammed to the point that no one can get on at Lewes and yet on the way home railway staff / police seem to think that social distancing has been stepped up to a new level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
After match train service is poor, but not helped by the incompetence of whoever is in charge of number of people boarding the trains. So frustrating waiting on the ramp approach watching trains pull out with empty seats / carriages.

Trains on the way over can be absolutely rammed to the point that no one can get on at Lewes and yet on the way home railway staff / police seem to think that social distancing has been stepped up to a new level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have mentioned what you have said about the train after the match in post 31, agree with what you are saying here.

What happens at Falmer station ( Lewes bound ) is the staff can only allow a certain number of fans onto the platform from the ramp, but not everyone gets on the first train, some fans will wait for an Eastbourne train instead of getting on the Seaford train and changing at Lewes.

I’ve been on the train before the match from Newhaven and it’s been pretty quiet, and also have seen the carriage I’m in packed solid as it pulls out of Lewes.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Just trying to point out to you where this was going in a very simple way, I honestly don’t believe you are helping with any advice unlike other posts, especially advice on transport.

At least some of us know the phone signal WiFi maybe isn’t what your survey suggests.

It’s the premier league survey. Not “mine”. I’ve not given any advice about anything on this thread . . And I’ve not even discussed what I personally think about any of these issues - or my personal experience. I just pointed out the survey exists . Of course some will disagree with it, or have different views or be sceptical that that’s what other fans are saying. . I’ve been on NSC long enough to know that. Why attack me about it. What about the 3000 fans that filled it out. I wasn’t one of them.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It’s the premier league survey. Not “mine”. I’ve not given any advice about anything on this thread . . And I’ve not even discussed what I personally think about any of these issues - or my personal experience. I just pointed out the survey exists . Of course some will disagree with it, or have different views or be sceptical that that’s what other fans are saying. . I’ve been on NSC long enough to know that. Why attack me about it. What about the 3000 fans that filled it out. I wasn’t one of them.

You have provided information. Great. Sadly, the survey does not address the problems faced by the OP. Therefore what is the point of continually pointing out 'facts' about the match-day experience when they are not concerning the problems many of us face with transport etc. You and a few others on NSC simply can't bear it when a thread like this comes along and usually either argue that the problems mentioned aren't actually a problem as they don't affect you/the majority of fans or deflect and distract from the problem faced by the OP with other information that doesn't relate to it.

I would suggest that if you can't sympathise or agree with the difficulty some of us are facing or with the less enjoyable match-day experience, then maybe don't comment unless you can suggest something helpful to the people that are affected.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
When I gave up my ST 2 years ago, like many people it was for a variety of reasons - but Nothing to do with the form on the pitch. God, I've seen far worse travelling to Gillingham for two years not missing a game.

The 4 key things that did it for me was :

- VAR (can't stand it - regardless of if it works in our favour)
- Cost of top flight football (now very much a luxury item, especially in the current climate)
- The constantly changing schedule of matches, never knowing what day or time a match is going to be on
- Lastly, its the travel experience. You either have to leave to go to a game so early to reduce congestion, or stay long after the game to reduce this on the way home. In years gone by I could devote half a day to going to a game, now it takes up the vast majority of whichever day the match is.

All the other issues like bottletops, over priced food, the 'customer' experience rather than a fan experience etc etc worry me far less these days.

I prefer the simpler experience of walking 15 mins to my local non league side for my regular footy fix these days. Fortunately the club don't care for retired people much these days as they are more focussed on attracting the next generation of fans, and I'm sure there are plenty of youngsters taking the seats like mine I gave up, so the club are hardly losing out.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You have provided information. Great. Sadly, the survey does not address the problems faced by the OP. Therefore what is the point of continually pointing out 'facts' about the match-day experience when they are not concerning the problems many of us face with transport etc. You and a few others on NSC simply can't bear it when a thread like this comes along and usually either argue that the problems mentioned aren't actually a problem as they don't affect you/the majority of fans or deflect and distract from the problem faced by the OP with other information that doesn't relate to it.

I would suggest that if you can't sympathise or agree with the difficulty some of us are facing or with the less enjoyable match-day experience, then maybe don't comment unless you can suggest something helpful to the people that are affected.

Thing is - This isn't a thread about transport issues. Its literally about multiple things and the personal match day experience of a fan who very eloquently argues that his "match day experience" is declining and wants to make that case to NSC . I'm sure he's more than justified in thinking that. However i'm perplexed it not ok to point out that that for most fans in a survey it isn't ?
As for sympathising or showing empathy who has said that i don't think transport issues are a problem. I've travelled on that Falmer to Lewes line for ten years. And stood in that queue in the rain with kids for many many years.
I literally said it was a pain a few posts ago. PS: I have managed to get a pretty good wifi signal (is that ok ? )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here