Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The declining quality of my match day experience

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I actually work in this space, and really 5G and WiFi should work together. The US are all over this kind of stuff, because the more engaged and 'connected' fans are, the longer they stick around and the more they spend. The issue in the UK is generally fans get in within an hour before pick off, 15 minute half time, and most fans have left by the 85th minute :)facepalm: ) so in turn the investment in this space is generally low over here. I doubt the mobile operators are investing especially heavily around stadiums, although I know Liverpool have been doing a lot of work here.

The WiFi has improved at the AmEx but has been struggling of late. However despite all the money sloshing around in the Premier League, they never want to spend on this stuff and instead expect companies to 'invest' and generally expect cost neutral or advantageous to the club in terms of deals for WiFi etc in return for sponsorship deals.

Funnily enough the clubs who do better are the ones tied to NFL teams etc, who 'get it' and view things around fan engagement slightly differently.

That's really interesting/useful. 5G is available in the area - and I pick it up - but does it do what they suggest in terms of working better when there's congestion due to numbers of users?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That's really interesting/useful. 5G is available in the area - and I pick it up - but does it do what they suggest in terms of working better when there's congestion due to numbers of users?

By default 5G will perform better than 4G. But if the physical connectivity back from the towers is a bottleneck, it doesn't really matter if it is 4G/5G etc

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I actually work in this space, and really 5G and WiFi should work together. The US are all over this kind of stuff, because the more engaged and 'connected' fans are, the longer they stick around and the more they spend. The issue in the UK is generally fans get in within an hour before pick off, 15 minute half time, and most fans have left by the 85th minute :)facepalm: ) so in turn the investment in this space is generally low over here. I doubt the mobile operators are investing especially heavily around stadiums, although I know Liverpool have been doing a lot of work here.

The WiFi has improved at the AmEx but has been struggling of late. However despite all the money sloshing around in the Premier League, they never want to spend on this stuff and instead expect companies to 'invest' and generally expect cost neutral or advantageous to the club in terms of deals for WiFi etc in return for sponsorship deals.

Funnily enough the clubs who do better are the ones tied to NFL teams etc, who 'get it' and view things around fan engagement slightly differently.

Is the wifi patchy at the Amex ? Genuinely never had an issue connecting in WSL (just as well, as 4G is pretty much non existent - like most grounds TBF)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is the wifi patchy at the Amex ? Genuinely never had an issue connecting in WSL (just as well, as 4G is pretty much non existent - like most grounds TBF)

The WiFi is decent, but the authentication thing is a bit broken. I couldn't 'login' at all on Saturday, just kept cycling round. And I think it was the same at the Chelsea game

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The WiFi is decent, but the authentication thing is a bit broken. I couldn't 'login' at all on Saturday, just kept cycling round. And I think it was the same at the Chelsea game

Not experienced that - I do find it odd that name/email has to be added each time though and it's not recognised automatically but no big deal. I've got a contact at the club's wifi suppliers, will see what he says.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not experienced that - I do find it odd that name/email has to be added each time though and it's not recognised automatically but no big deal. I've got a contact at the club's wifi suppliers, will see what he says.

Yeah its sloppy. No reason it can't store the phones id and save it / remember you.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Since the multi-storey car park tickets have been made available the ingress and egress to the Uni car parks has been awful. Just too many cars for the stewards to cope.

The whole parking situation this season has been an utter shambles. Before this season, you just bought a season ticket or printed it off and drove through. they don’t even bother to zap your ticket at the Bridge.

From the lottery of knowing when you can actually buy a ticket, to glacial pace of Coldean Lane, to the removal of the simple parking ticket hanging from your mirror, to the putting your reg into the booking form, to the mess of getting out of the Bridge.

Still, I’m sure the club survey will put this right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Fair enough that numbers may be limited and people may wait for the next train but surely it can’t be that hard to allow another 30/40/50 people through once it’s clear that the end carriage is going to be leaving virtually empty. Just needs better control / stewarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agree 100%.
I’ve only used the train after matches at the beginning of this season and the staff at the barriers were getting shouted at to sort this out.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I've never really understood this either. Surely it would be a better policy for the station staff to clear the platform by instructing those who want to go to a different destination beyond Lewes to change there. This would allow the queues to clear a bit more quickly. I'm always amazed at the number of people who don't board the first train to arrive and doggedly wait for 'their' train.

Also agree with you here, this has also been mentioned already on this thread and many times on NSC.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Also agree with you here, this has also been mentioned already on this thread and many times on NSC.

And easily enforced. Access to the platform should be on condition you get on the next train. Trouble is those stewards don’t even bother stopping queue jumpers strolling down the disabled lane. Completely useless

But….our survey said…..92.456 % of customers are thrilled with the station stewarding and our club ranks in the top three in Europe in this regard.

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
And easily enforced. Access to the platform should be on condition you get on the next train. Trouble is those stewards don’t even bother stopping queue jumpers strolling down the disabled lane. Completely useless

I forgot about the queue jumping, also going across the bridge before going down the ramp I’ve seen people jumping in.
Not really a pleasant experience queuing for the Lewes bound train, I’m sure it will kick off one day.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Agree 100%.
I’ve only used the train after matches at the beginning of this season and the staff at the barriers were getting shouted at to sort this out.

It’s seems to be getting more heated every week, probably due to shite / cold weather and frustration due to performance on the pitch. It just needs better management. Here’s a photo from Palace home game showing empty carriage as train is about to pull away
7289d6059565e4940c002570bbb9a069.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I'm an EE customer and I find it more or less impossible to get network coverage when I am either in the stadium or around Falmer. Get the other side of the Falmer tunnel on the train & on the outskirts of Lewes, then no problem.

As others have said, the stadium wi-fi is very hit and miss.

Get wifi on EE in East Upper perfectly every game. Gone by the time you reach the coach park though.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
You all do realise this will quite possibly be the clubs most successful season ever, don't you?

It might just be me being lucky but my train journeys to and from the ground for the last two matches have been as good as they have ever been and the queue for trains going into Brighton has gone down quickly (and I stayed to the end of the match and watched the players go off).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You all do realise this will quite possibly be the clubs most successful season ever, don't you?

It might just be me being lucky but my train journeys to and from the ground for the last two matches have been as good as they have ever been and the queue for trains going into Brighton has gone down quickly (and I stayed to the end of the match and watched the players go off).

The Albion players have specially helped those post-match train queues at the last two Amex games :wink: .

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I'm an EE customer and I find it more or less impossible to get network coverage when I am either in the stadium or around Falmer. Get the other side of the Falmer tunnel on the train & on the outskirts of Lewes, then no problem.

As others have said, the stadium wi-fi is very hit and miss.

Agree - nothing in or around stadium/station. Wifi generally ok apart from last few weeks connecting.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It’s seems to be getting more heated every week, probably due to shite / cold weather and frustration due to performance on the pitch. It just needs better management. Here’s a photo from Palace home game showing empty carriage as train is about to pull away
7289d6059565e4940c002570bbb9a069.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Don't know which train that is but that photo also shows people not getting on the train which has its doors open, that is a big part of the problem when people leave early and fill up the platform with no intension of getting on a train until theirs arrive with could be in twenty minutes time. Selfish people is as much a problem as poor stewarding/railway staffing

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Who’d have thunk a year ago with no fans in the stadium that it would come to this level of moaning once we got back in. I wonder how much of it has to do with our home record and how much to do with the state of the world. It used to be you went to the football to forget your troubles :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here