Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The decimation of a top six championship first team

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
A clearout and a rationalisation of wages needs to take place. Some on here should not be so sentimental about players leaving, it happens every season at most clubs. I feel we will see the influence of the Development Squad more and more as time passes and why not. This is why the selection of the new manager/head coach is key and should not be a knee jerk as for once the new man is actually going to have to manage and coach instead of buying in. Its very exciting atm.

May 18, 2013
I think too many people are still affected by the Archer days. Then we had a chairman who didn't care about the club and wanted to run it down and close it. In those days we had every right to worry that decisions being made at the top were not in the clubs best interest.
Today, I would argue, we don't need to have those worries about the club's hierarchy...
Keep the faith

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
People use whatever argument suits their purpose. There are those who say that Oscar didn't get his own players in, yet Bloom tells us that Oscar submitted a list of players, none of whom were available or affordable at that time.

... which would confirm their claim that Oscar didn't get his own players in

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Regarding new signings, the way I look at this is that we are like wedding guests queuing at the grand buffet. Currently, due to no real fault of our own we find ourselves near the back of the queue. Everyone at the front of the queue are snatching up the home made scotch eggs and chicken twisty skewers, whereas we will end up with slim pickings like the prawn volovants or the soggy ready salted that everyone before has fingered. We need to get ourselves to the front of the buffet queue.
I'd be quite happy with prawn volovants - in fact, if I was at the front of the queue, that's what I'd go for!

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Yes you are correct about the three months before the closure of the window, but the thing that worries me is that any player who was in their last six months of contract (Barnes) can already have been talking to new clubs.
The fact that yet again we have lost our manager, we are losing out on possible good players, who are out of contract in June, as they are now talking to clubs now, even before their contract runs out ( Upson ). I hear from the club that we are not to worry as we have Jones and Burke still forging ahead with possible signings, which will surely lead to another season of a manager or coach ending up with the majority of the new signings not his choice. So the sooner we get the new man in and he starts talking to the scouting team, the better I will feel about our chances next season.

The new man will not come in and say " OK lads now let's see whose available" If he is worth his salt, he will know who he wants.

The Club in the meantime will be talking to possible players. As I said in a previous post, there are players here that he did not sign that he will have to work with.
This happens to every manager, and they just get on with the job in hand. I cannot see that being an issue, unless we were to sign a load of donkeys, and I don't see that happening
I think that the signing of Toto is a prime example of that, and I can't wait to see who else comes in.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
football teams are cylcical.....we need new blood.

but looking ahead, championship teams in a few years time will be full of youth and one year loan contracts from premiership reserve teams....due to problems with finance in football.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
The new man will not come in and say " OK lads now let's see whose available" If he is worth his salt, he will know who he wants.

The Club in the meantime will be talking to possible players. As I said in a previous post, there are players here that he did not sign that he will have to work with.
This happens to every manager, and they just get on with the job in hand. I cannot see that being an issue, unless we were to sign a load of donkeys, and I don't see that happening
I think that the signing of Toto is a prime example of that, and I can't wait to see who else comes in.
Toto? wasn't that the little doggie from the wizard of oz! could do a job.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Hopefully under a new manager Augustien will come good. Guy Butters was terrible at first then turned out reAlly good.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Hopefully under a new manager Augustien will come good. Guy Butters was terrible at first then turned out reAlly good.

Butters didn't have Agustien's attitude problem.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Decimation!? So far, we have lost ONE, count them ONE, player that we would have liked to retain. Admittedly, Upson is a great player, but who can blame him for wanting one last stint in the Prem? We have also made what looks like a good signing in Toko. Let's not hit the panic button just yet, eh!?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Regarding new signings, the way I look at this is that we are like wedding guests queuing at the grand buffet. Currently, due to no real fault of our own we find ourselves near the back of the queue. Everyone at the front of the queue are snatching up the home made scotch eggs and chicken twisty skewers, whereas we will end up with slim pickings like the prawn volovants or the soggy ready salted that everyone before has fingered. We need to get ourselves to the front of the buffet queue.

See, I would check when i got the invitation that they had cheese and pineapple on sticks. If they didn't, I would make some excuse and not go.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see this as a fairly natural process. A number of players have reached the ends of their contracts, other good Championship players - having proved themselves with the Albion a now fancy one final big pay day in the sun.

SAF went through this process at least three times at Man Utd, the word decimation was never used then. We need 8 players, but if you throw in a couple of big names to the youth we have coming through I'll be very excited for next season.

Joe Cole would be a perfect signing, as would Zamora. We do need more leadership and the kids will need experience to guide them, having those two at the club in the season we open the new Academy would be inspirational.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Decimation!? So far, we have lost ONE, count them ONE, player that we would have liked to retain. Admittedly, Upson is a great player, but who can blame him for wanting one last stint in the Prem? We have also made what looks like a good signing in Toko. Let's not hit the panic button just yet, eh!?

Completely agree. Of the six mentioned by the OP, Andrews was widely written off in here and has been replaced, Lingard only featured in the last 3 months of the season and got mixed reviews and Orlandi hardly played all season.

Of the defensive three, Ward May still come back, Upson is a blow but may (like Bridge) be a blessing in disguise as he's had a few injuries recently and Kuszczak will be missed but hopefully we can replace him.

I'm sure I'll be accused of using rose tinted spectacles and that sort of rubbish but decimation seems a very strong word!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I see this as a fairly natural process. A number of players have reached the ends of their contracts, other good Championship players - having proved themselves with the Albion a now fancy one final big pay day in the sun.

SAF went through this process at least three times at Man Utd, the word decimation was never used then. We need 8 players, but if you throw in a couple of big names to the youth we have coming through I'll be very excited for next season.

Joe Cole would be a perfect signing, as would Zamora. We do need more leadership and the kids will need experience to guide them, having those two at the club in the season we open the new Academy would be inspirational.

Completely agree. We also bought 8 new players in during Poyet's last summer in charge and 2 more in January. Did okay that season

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
It's the same principal as when you read about non-league managers turning up at their new club and finding only a handful of first team members and youth-teamers, but on an obviously bigger scale at BHA

I suppose a positive note is with a new manager and a fair few new players, we might see more attacking football that might entice non-renewers and new ST customers ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here