Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The decimation of a top six championship first team

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Out:

Pig - Was making noises about leaving for months.
Upson - A last hurrah in the top flight for the 35 year old.
Ward - Loanee so was always going.
Andrews - Loanee
Orlandi - A lot of wages for not a lot of game time.
Lingard - Loanee.

With the exception of Upson as yet nothing has happened that we didn't already know about, a few months ago, January, and last August.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I remember right after Oscar left lots of people were saying we should clear out all the "dead wood" now its happening (maybe not upson) you're all panicking, WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE WANT FROM THE CLUB

WE SHOULD BE PLAYING THE LIKES OF REAL MADRID TOMORROW THAT'S WHAT! ANYTHING LESS IN 3 YEARS IS ABJECT FAILURE.

Don't you realise what a big catchment area we have?

:mad::mad::mad:

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
At first glance it looks worrying. However, like many have said, it's very early days and these players are replaceable.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Is Ward out ? Not seen anything public other than him saying how desperate he was to stay last week.
PIG - not been anywhere near the top of his game for ages
Upson - good luck to him, but prob one season left at best anyway
Andrews - not a huge loss IMHO. Nzuzi looks good
Orlandi - limited by injury, didn't contribute much this season
Lingard - would be happy to see him stay TBH as may develop
Ulloa - think he'll struggle in the prem if he goes. If he stays we need to get someone supporting him better

Loads of time to build a new squad, looking forward to next season. I shall be firmly keeping the faith at this point.

Realistically though, how long does a new collection of players need to gel together into a team? Tottenham spent a fortune rebuilding their squad and as witnessed in the sacking of two managers in a season, the players did not gel.
There is no panic and bedwetting just yet, but we need new faces and TIME for them all to gel together.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

All new chapters start this way...things have to change to move forwards, and therefore we are just need to ride the wave a little. A new manager having the opportunity to put his stamp on his squad in terms of new players is surely the preferable scenario than one who is tied only to what he inherits. Even with the players we stand to lose or have lost, I am not wholly convinced that top 6 would necessarily have come our way next season again, and don't believe that the next 12 months will define our future. Players like Upson going are short term headaches of course, he has been brilliant, but we would have been in this situation next year anyway. Sit back, watch the story unfold and be excited that there are some good managers out there, who are well connected with players/bigger clubs and we are an attractive proposition in many respects. A solid season next year (top half) and firm foundations will see us get stronger over the next couple of years to really reach the potential we all think we have...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Is it impossible even to mention that, when a terrific player like Upson leaves, the team is worse, without being labeled a bedwetter?

Of course there's a good chance that they will get someone in to replace Upson et al but until that happens and assuming that it does at all, the fact is that the team is worse: it's a net loss.

And, no, not every player that leaves is always replaced by others who are as good. Sometimes they're not replaced at all.

We get a lot of stuff about keeping calm etc after every decent player has left - I guess it's a good form of mutual support but it just doesn't always turn out to be true.

I'm now off to go and p1ss all over the bed, obviously.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Is Ward out ? Not seen anything public other than him saying how desperate he was to stay last week.
PIG - not been anywhere near the top of his game for ages
Upson - good luck to him, but prob one season left at best anyway
Andrews - not a huge loss IMHO. Nzuzi looks good
Orlandi - limited by injury, didn't contribute much this season
Lingard - would be happy to see him stay TBH as may develop
Ulloa - think he'll struggle in the prem if he goes. If he stays we need to get someone supporting him better

Loads of time to build a new squad, looking forward to next season. I shall be firmly keeping the faith at this point.

Ward who we had on a season long loan you mean?

mattress-4.jpg

dan4bha

Mar 27, 2014
we've only really lost 3 first team players (that we actually own)

Upson - clearly a miss, but aging
Kuszczak - a good shot stopper, but didnt look up for it in last few games. Easily replaced IMO
Orlandi - sicknote

I'd imagine these 3 were amongst the highest earners at the club, frees up some wage budget to add some depth

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Looks to me like a plan is being carried out. Some big earners being cut (TK) or allowed to go (Upson). This leaves money and space for the new boss to bring in his own, and I reckon he is already working with the club to get them. Of course if the new boss isn't in place by the end of next week my confidence is all wrong. Keep the faith, but fingers crossed too

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Decimation means the culling of one in ten. As we've got rid of about a tenth of our players, it's fair enough to use it.

Still smacks of bed wetting though

Yes but in the original sense (in Roman legions), decimation was execution normally undertaken by the team mates of the one in ten being culled (typically by clubbing or stoning them to death), so it still might be a tiny bit OTT for the present context.

Either way, it's definitely bed wetting though

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
It is the break-up of the Poyet team, no doubt about that. It's going to be a busy summer with 8 new players required.
The question is will we replace the ones who've gone with as good as, or better players which will be needed if the club are to challenge again?
We will know in August.

ChicagoGull

May 17, 2014
The only thing I have an issue with is this... Everyone here face palming and going ffs it's only May will probably be the same people in October to go mental at Bloom and co. for letting so many go and us taking so long to gel. Any team being picked apart to the extent we have are automatically going to have a harder time of it next year. Any team spirit we had has now gone, it's going to be what is left of the squad and probably ten new names, all strangers, having to create that bond again.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Team spirit can be built - has to be every year when old faces go, new ones arrive. But we already have the basis of something special - Ince, JFK, Solly, Dunk for example are going to be key next season and they are pretty much home grown

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
We have enough players currently contracted to win games of football at Championship level. We now need to add quality and depth to last the season through. We need the right manager, not one we can get the quickest. We still employ Nathan Jones on the footballing side and I would suggest that he would have made some meaningful contribution to the previous successful campaign.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here