Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The decimation of a top six championship first team

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
As far as I'm aware the transfer window doesn't even OPEN until June 1st.

All I'm currently looking for is a speedy managerial appointment, and news of Ankers, Calderon and Bruno signing up to new deals.

But that does not stop any club talking to players and offering them deals as Leicester have done with Upson. So Pearson wanted him and got him, the new Brighton Manager may have wanted him but has lost him, all before the window opens.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
But that does not stop any club talking to players and offering them deals as Leicester have done with Upson. So Pearson wanted him and got him, the new Brighton Manager may have wanted him but has lost him, all before the window opens.

Yes, but I can't personally get too stressed about it just yet.

I'd like to see the manager appointed by the end of next week, and good news about the 3 new contract extensions within the same timeframe. I assume we're in dialog with Ward, and a couple more including a goalie, and that 2 or 3 could arrive early in the window.

After that plenty of time for 2 more permanent signings, and 2 season long loans ( guesswork ).

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Yes, but I can't personally get too stressed about it just yet.

I'd like to see the manager appointed by the end of next week, and good news about the 3 new contract extensions within the same timeframe. I assume we're in dialog with Ward, and a couple more including a goalie, and that 2 or 3 could arrive early in the window.

After that plenty of time for 2 more permanent signings, and 2 season long loans ( guesswork ).

I am with you on the deadline for the manager, so he can have his say on who comes in

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The decimation of a top six championship team,or the building of a top two championship team?

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I don't support players, I support Brighton and Hove Albion FC. Players come and players go. In the good times, where we are at the moment, the loss of one or two outstanding performers has little impact. In the not so good times, it can do I (thinking say Mike Small and John Byrne in '91). In the absolutely terrible times, I often hope they would all ...... off.

I wouldn't like to think of myself as a blind optimist, but I am confident that when the first game of next season kicks off we will be watching a team able to make a reasonable stab at the play-offs at least.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don't mean to be picky but "decimation" actually means bad things happening to one in ten, this is far worse than that.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Slightly concerned, in need of a new: Gk, Cb, Lb, Rm, Am, Lm, St, Fd before we're even close to thinking about challenging

Craven Wine

Apr 29, 2012
Seems like we're starting the new season with a clean sheet , so much for continuity, but poker players wouldn't play their game without a fresh hand after losing out - is that right Mr Bloom?;-)

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Regarding new signings, the way I look at this is that we are like wedding guests queuing at the grand buffet. Currently, due to no real fault of our own we find ourselves near the back of the queue. Everyone at the front of the queue are snatching up the home made scotch eggs and chicken twisty skewers, whereas we will end up with slim pickings like the prawn volovants or the soggy ready salted that everyone before has fingered. We need to get ourselves to the front of the buffet queue.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So, right now there's a sort of "oh, come, on, it's May, there's ages until next season" feeling.

Fine.

Will we get "Be fair, [Manager] didn't have a proper pre-season with the players, let's judge him next season" like we got with Oscar who was initially appointed just two days after players returned for pre-season (which we were told would have been medical assessments, not training days, anyway).

People use whatever argument suits their purpose. There are those who say that Oscar didn't get his own players in, yet Bloom tells us that Oscar submitted a list of players, none of whom were available or affordable at that time.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Perhaps we should go back a hundred years ? Put all the players whose contract is up into the trenches , blow the whistle and send them "over the top". Anybody who is not slaughtered by machine gun fire and gets to the bomb crater 150 yards into no mans land gets a new deal.

Ferring Marine

Mar 28, 2014
Handwringers
Every season end sees players released and replacements so calm down, it's only two weeks since the season end.
It's time for a clear out and refreshing the squad which is exciting. So calm down and be patient

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Good I'm glad there is a clear out, opposing teams had us worked out especially at home. We badly need a play maker, move the ball forward a lot quicker in attack and hold our own more in the middle of the park.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It's also a top 6 team that has failed to make any kind of impact in the play-offs once there. I see that as the sqaud we had not being up to the task. So changes were probably needed to try and do something different from what we were doing to take that next step up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here