Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The DECIDER - 5th Test Match, The Oval - England vs Australia

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Whilst I desperately want England to win, I have to say that it would be a travesty if they did. What England need is another damned good thrashing - maybe then they will realise that they are not very good. The Harmison situation sums up English cricket really - second best bowler in county cricket, but shite at international level.

Having said that though, we are playing Oz, so COME ON BOYS!!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Whilst I desperately want England to win, I have to say that it would be a travesty if they did. What England need is another damned good thrashing - maybe then they will realise that they are not very good. The Harmison situation sums up English cricket really - second best bowler in county cricket, but shite at international level.

:ban:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Right keep your heads now. Whatever happens I would like to see a few people play themselves in and not just melt mentally. Pride is at stake as much as the ashes today from our batsmen. play like test batsmen please.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I reckon those England boys breathed a rather large sigh of relief when they heard Brett Lee hadn't been selected. A massive confidence boost for the boys to know he is out and Freddie is in......I am starting to feel quietly optimistic myself (ssshhh).
Massive performance needed from our openers.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

a travesty , why ? both teams have won one each, and drawn games they should have lost.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
.. .--. .-. . ..-. . .-. -- .-. ... -.-. .... . .-. -.-- .-.. -.-. --- .-.. . -- -.-- ... . .-.. ..-.

.. .- -.-. - ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.-- .--. .-. . ..-. . .-. -- .. -.-. .... . .-.. .-.. . .--. ..-. . .. ..-. ..-. . .-. .- -. -.. -- . --. .-. -.-- .- -. --..-- -... ..- - .. .... .- ...- . - .... .. ... ..- -. -.-. --- -. - .-. --- .-.. .-.. .- -... .-.. . .- ..-. ..-. .-.. .. -.-. - .. --- -. - .... .- - -.-. --- -- .--. . .-.. ... -- . - --- .--. --- ... - - .... . .-- --- .-. -.. ... -.-. .- - .... . .-. .. -. . --.. . - .- .--- --- -. . ... --- -. -. ... -.-. -. --- .-- .- -. -.. .- --. .- .. -.

:thumbsup:

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
I got on at 7-2 for an England win this morning: rather good odds I thought

Can't help thinking our best chance was for Australia to bat first and us to bowl them out fairly cheaply.

If we bat first and score loads there's a pretty good chance the Aussies will be able to do the same and a draw will then be the most likely result.

And if we get bolwed out cheaply - always a possibility with our batting line-up - then there is a good chance they will win.

As we bat first and need to win, it means we have to bowl them out twice. And we can't start doing that until we've had our first innings. And if this is a good first innings it will mean that we have to bowl them out twice in not much more than 3 days, even assuming no weather problems.

I think it's much harder for us to win batting first. Maybe we should have put them in. What Sir Humphrey would have called a courageous decision!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
a travesty , why ? both teams have won one each, and drawn games they should have lost.

Alright travesty is a bit harsh, but IMO England are not good enough and I dont want a repeat of post 2005 when the powers that be thought that everything in the England camp was rosy.

The 2005 side was a good team, but England have regressed since then and a win for them here could hide that. They have lost key players and not replaced them. There does not appear to be a huge amount of new talent emerging either. The only batsmen who looks like he could have a great future is Cook. Bell has gone backwards. Our best bowler is retiring. Broad looks like our best bowler for the future, but even he has not improved much from when he first started. Where are the young, talented players pushing for places to replace the dead wood?

Oz's batting has been far superior in this series. The bowling attack of both sides is not up to much. I just think a win here for England could paper over the cracks of a team in decline.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here