Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Apparently Mum's Net is running the exact same thread (according to Nurse Gladys Emmanuel). Is NSC footballs new Mum's Net.
Some positive news Caterham has a new Post Office opening on Thursday. Sad news they won't be selling much foreign currency.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The reports of other drugs being tested and (apparently) being fairly successful in Asia is good news, hopefully it’s not all propaganda and fake news. Obviously a vaccine is vital, but drugs effective in treating the virus would be absolutely gold dust right now and I know normally these drugs have to go through vigorous testing for months on end but surely they will rush that through?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The reports of other drugs being tested and (apparently) being fairly successful in Asia is good news, hopefully it’s not all propaganda and fake news. Obviously a vaccine is vital, but drugs effective in treating the virus would be absolutely gold dust right now and I know normally these drugs have to go through vigorous testing for months on end but surely they will rush that through?

The results of all clinical efficacy of various trialled drugs is to be published at the end of April. The American expirmental drug Remdesivir looks very promising as a cure. Vaccine is what we really need though

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
A272E91C-0D46-404A-844C-6CCAD7CFFEDE.jpeg

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Err honest question and I want to be positive in this thread but is there actual evidence that people who got it remain immune for some time? That'd be nice.

It’s still being tested, but scientists think that we would be. Even if it wasn’t forever it’d be for several months with the belief that enough antibodies would stay in our system so that if we ever caught it again it would be milder than the previous dose (assuming it hasn’t mutated). This would be like other viruses in the same “family”.

The Japanese man who reportedly got it again most likely was misdiagnosed to begin with, didn’t fully recover and relapsed, or (less likely) could be one of those one in a million people who do get once-in-a-lifetime illness twice.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It’s still being tested, but scientists think that we would be. Even if it wasn’t forever it’d be for several months with the belief that enough antibodies would stay in our system so that if we ever caught it again it would be milder than the previous dose (assuming it hasn’t mutated). This would be like other viruses in the same “family”.

The Japanese man who reportedly got it again most likely was misdiagnosed to begin with, didn’t fully recover and relapsed, or (less likely) could be one of those one in a million people who do get once-in-a-lifetime illness twice.

Nice.

Do you have some expert knowledge on this or just read a lot?

Either way I'm going to throw this question at you:
So these viruses have co-evolved with mainly bats for thousands of years... shouldnt this possibly mean that when temperatures, humidity, light etc goes unfriendly (i.e. bright, dry, warm summer days) for bats, the virus gets a difficult time reproducing as well?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Nice.

Do you have some expert knowledge on this or just read a lot?

Either way I'm going to throw this question at you:
So these viruses have co-evolved with mainly bats for thousands of years... shouldnt this possibly mean that when temperatures, humidity, light etc goes unfriendly (i.e. bright, dry, warm summer days) for bats, the virus gets a difficult time reproducing as well?

I have no expert knowledge I just read a lot; at the moment mostly experts in viruses and epidemics on Twitter.

I’m not qualified to answer your question, I’m afraid.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I have no expert knowledge I just read a lot; at the moment mostly experts in viruses and epidemics on Twitter.

I’m not qualified to answer your question, I’m afraid.

While I was hoping for "yes actually I have a phd both in bats and viruses" I still appreciate the honesty : )

Keep up posting those good news

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Eastenders has suspended filming....indefinitly

"The number of EastEnders episodes screened will also be cut from four to two per week, the broadcaster said."

200.webp

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Eastenders has suspended filming....indefinitly

"The number of EastEnders episodes screened will also be cut from four to two per week, the broadcaster said."

200.webp

Think they have missed a trick there on a soap award winning story line “Linda wins her battle with alcoholism but loses the fight with Covid 19”

Gripping TV !!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here